IPPI and JITSI Messengers [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

IPPI and JITSI Messengers [SOLVED]

Post by diapason »

Neither will load in a new Linux Mint 19 64 bit Cinnamon installation. Both worked perfectly up to and including Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. No error messages display. Nothing at all happens when using the GUI and they will not start from the terminal either.
I never used Linux Mint 18 so do not know if they work in that edition. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diapason
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6
Evolution Mail Client 3.44.4
Brave Browser & Search Engine
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: IPPI and JITSI Messengers

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

Ubuntu / Debian installations instructions Jitsi
https://jitsi.org/downloads/ubuntu-debi ... tructions/

To install Jitsi messenger using the Jisti software repository method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

wget -qO - https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi-key.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb https://download.jitsi.org stable/' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-stable.list"

sudo apt-get -y update

sudo apt-get -y install jitsi
If you want all the total Jitsi suite of applications

sudo apt-get -y install jitsi-meet

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Many thanks for the quick response. In fact, I had already installed Jitsi using those steps as shown on the Jitsi.org downloads page. However, I uninstalled everything and started again using the command lines exactly as given in your response in case there was some minor difference. The only change is that now the GUI causes the Jitsi Avatar to appear on the screen with its progress bar but the timer wheel just keeps rotating and the progress bar does not advance. I'll just have to keep fiddling with it. Best regards.
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

You are welcome...
diapason wrote:The only change is that now the GUI causes the Jitsi Avatar to appear on the screen with its progress bar but the timer wheel just keeps rotating and the progress bar does not advance. I'll just have to keep fiddling with it. Best regards.
I have no idea what that means. Are you saying this happens when Jitsi is loading or in the system tray icon? Jitsi is working fine on my system using those instructions.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Hello, again Phd21

You asked: "Are you saying this happens when Jitsi is loading or in the system tray icon?"
It happens when I try to launch Jitsi by clicking on the icon in the applications menu (or on the applet in the tray). I can't work out how to attach a screen shot here. I get a Jitsi window with a progress bar which should load the Jitsi setup window where I can select SIP, XMPP etc but the progress bar never moves.

I have run the two commands you suggested and the output is below.

ian@Galago:~$ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: Galago Kernel: 4.15.0-38-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: System76 product: Galago UltraPro v: galu1 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Notebook model: W740SU serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 4.6.5 date: 12/12/2013
Battery    BAT0: charge: 5.3 Wh 74.9% condition: 7.0/53.3 Wh (13%)
           model: Notebook BAT status: Charging
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4750HQ (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Haswell rev.1 cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 15963
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1165 MHz 2: 1904 MHz 3: 1318 MHz
           4: 1748 MHz 5: 1977 MHz 6: 1627 MHz 7: 1741 MHz 8: 1856 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Crystal Well Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x810@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Crystal Well HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 490.1GB (15.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Crucial_CT240M50 size: 240.1GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 213G used: 8.5G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 258 Uptime: 29 min Memory: 1297.9/15963.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 
ian@Galago:~$ 

ian@Galago:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp. 
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 040b:2011 Weltrend Semiconductor 
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 5986:0536 Acer, Inc 
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0b95:1780 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88178
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
ian@Galago:~$ 
Thanks
Last edited by Moem on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

You are welcome...

That is a very nice computer you have.

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.

Have you rebooted (restarted computer) since you installed Jitsi? If not, do that.

You could also try updating the Linux kernel above 4.15.xx to maybe 4.18.xx through the Mint Update Manager.

Uploading a screenshot, image, or images to this forum - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=232332&hilit=screenshot+forum

Hope this helps ...
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Hi

I have already been through the rebooting route with no success so I think the next step is to update the kernel as you suggest - a job for tomorrow and I'll let you know the outcome.

The computer was custom built for me by those nice chaps at System 76 when I decided my old Sony Vaio XP machine needed replacing. I did not really want to stick with Microsoft because I did not like anything that came after XP and the rumours that in future all machines sold with Windows pre-installed would have the kernel locked to prevent other operating systems being installed was the last straw.

I made a bootable USB drive of Linux 15 and had a play with it on the Sony Vaio for a few hours and liked it so I then installed it in dual boot and was completely hooked after a week. That made me decide to put the money into good hardware and go Linux for good. It was the right decision and I have never regretted it. I find it all quite intuitive, even when I have to use the terminal. The few problems I have encountered over the years I have been able to sort for myself by browsing the forums. This is the first time I have had to ask a question but Mint 19 is so new there is not a lot posted yet. New releases get better and better. Mint 17 was excellent so I stuck with it and never upgraded to 18. However, as 17 is only supported until 2019, I thought now would be the time to get settled in with Mint 19 and enjoy it for a few years.

I was in the UK when I bought the computer but I have since retired and moved to Uruguay. I have not encountered any other Linux users here yet.

Regards
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

After reading and responding to other posts regarding Linux Mint 19.x, there is another procedure I recommend trying. Create another "admin" user account and logout and log back in under that user account and retry Jitsi and tell us if it works.

I do not know what IPPI messenger is, or is that a SIP provider that you use with Jitsi?

I was having sporadic issues with the Linux Kernel in the 4.15 series under Linux Ubuntu 18.04 (Linux Mint 19.x), but when I updated beyond that, they were resolved.

Also, you might check to see if there is a Bios update for your computer since 12/2013.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Hello

1. I have tried creating another admin user as suggested but the result is the same. The Jitsi progress bar appears as if it were going to load but nothing happens.

2. IPPI is a VOIP provider based in France. I have my SIP and iNumbers from them. They provide a Messenger app which is just the Jitsi Messenger renamed.

3. The latest Linux kernel available in the update manager is the one in use, 4.15.0-38. Is there a 4.18.xx available from a PPA and, if so, do you have the URL?

4. I will ask the System 76 boys if there is a BIOS update available.
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,
diapason wrote:1. I have tried creating another admin user as suggested but the result is the same. The Jitsi progress bar appears as if it were going to load but nothing happens.
Okay, I guess that is a good thing. You could just try re-installing it again. Do not forget to enable the Linux Firewall and add a rule(s) for SIP accounts for tcp 5060 & 5061.
diapason wrote:2. IPPI is a VOIP provider based in France. I have my SIP and iNumbers from them. They provide a Messenger app which is just the Jitsi Messenger renamed.
Ok, now I understand the IPPI sip/Voip.

Have you considered "Ekiga" or "Linphone" for the SIP/Voip account(s)? They are usually in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and Linphone as a "flatpak" (also install "libbellesip0" if it is not installed automatically). The flatpak may provide a newer version.

Linphone: An Open Source VoIP (SIP) App
(add firewall rules for port sip tcp: 5060 or custom and individually for tcp/udp for 9078 "video" and 7078 "audio" both)
https://www.fossmint.com/linphone-voip- ... for-linux/

Liblinphone: Cross-platform SDK - open source video sip phone, voip software
http://www.linphone.org/technical-corne ... e/overview

If needed, to add your user name to the "plugdev" group, obviously use your user name

usermod -aG plugdev yournormalusername 
diapason wrote:3. The latest Linux kernel available in the update manager is the one in use, 4.15.0-38. Is there a 4.18.xx available from a PPA and, if so, do you have the URL?
I used the "Ukuu" Linux Kernel manager to install Linux Kernel 4.18.16 which some people do not approve of, but it has always worked for me. Yes, there is a PPA option as well, but I do not see a normal add PPA option for this, but you can manually download and install the deb files from their PPA, see the link below. Never install "RC" (release candidate) Linux kernel versions.

How to Install Linux Kernel 4.18 in Ubuntu, Linux Mint - UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/
diapason wrote:4. I will ask the System 76 boys if there is a BIOS update available.
A Bios update would not affect your current issue with Jitsi but may have other positive system benefits.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

I just read some more information on Jitsi and IU updated my last reply as well.

1.) Make sure you have the Java runtime installed and I recommend making Java 8 the default.

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre wget
run the command below and make Java 8 the default.

sudo update-alternatives --config java
2.) I gave you instructions for installing Jitsi's stable version, but you might want to use their newer developer (unstable) version which is what I usually do.

Remove the Jitsi stable repository entry

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-stable.list
Their key looks to be the same one.

wget -qO - https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi-key.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
Add their developer repository and install the newer version of Jitsi.

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb https://download.jitsi.org unstable/' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-unstable.list"

sudo apt-get -y update

sudo apt-get -y install jitsi
Remember you may need to restart the computer or at least logout and back in after installing software.

3.) I have 2 free SIP accounts one from Ekiga and another from Linphone and neither is connecting in Jitsi in Ubuntu 18.04 (like Linux Mint 19.x)? But, my 2 Google accounts and an xmpp/jabber account are working well.

4.) Ekiga and Linphone do seem to be working in Linux Mint 19.x based on Ubuntu 18.04.

Hope this helps ...
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Hi

I was just about to send you the reply quoted below when your latest message came in and I believe you have now hit the nail on the head. In previous versions of Linux, when I used Jitsi, there was a java icon on the task bar and it is not there now in Linux 19. I will get on with fixing that and I am confident that will probably sort the problem. I'll let you know. Here for the record what I was about to send in reply to your previous message:

"Hi
1. I have re-installed Jitsi and enabled the Firewall with a simple rule for SIP (both directions) on port 5060 for TCP. That made no difference.

2. I did not know about Linphone. I will explore that as an alternative over the weekend. As long as it will connect with others using Jitsi, that would be fine.

3. I like to live dangerously. I used UKuu to install kernel 4.18.17-041817-generic. It was easy and successful (thank you) but it has not helped.

You say Jitsi runs on your installation so the problem must be something here stopping the program loading. All my other software is running just fine on Linux 19. Jitsi is the only hiccup. I'm wondering if I should maybe try something like Yahoo Messenger to see if that loads just to prove a point; it would not be a long term solution as I don't rate the security of the common messengers very highly. The attraction of Jitsi when I started using it in 2013 was its relative security and the fact that not too many people use it so it is less likely as a candidate for attacks. I'll play with things over the weekend and let you know next week how I get on.

Regards"
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

I think not having Java 8 installed and set to the default may be the problem with your system and Jitsi.

FYI: There are 2 versions of Java and I always install the Open Source Java (openJDK) and the Oracle Java runtimes just in case because some applications require one or the other. Jitsi seem to work with either one.

How To Install (Oracle's) Java with `apt` on Ubuntu 18.04 | DigitalOcean
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-18-04

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt update

sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer

sudo update-alternatives --config java
diapason wrote:1. I have re-installed Jitsi and enabled the Firewall with a simple rule for SIP (both directions) on port 5060 for TCP. That made no difference.
I updated my last reply to add that you might consider adding a firewall rule or editing the existing firewall rule to include 5061 the secure Sip port as well as the regular Sip port 5060.
diapason wrote:2. I did not know about Linphone. I will explore that as an alternative over the weekend. As long as it will connect with others using Jitsi, that would be fine.
Both Ekiga and Linphone are well regarded Sip software client applications.
diapason wrote:3. I like to live dangerously. I used UKuu to install kernel 4.18.17-041817-generic. It was easy and successful (thank you) but it has not helped.
ok.
diapason wrote:You say Jitsi runs on your installation so the problem must be something here stopping the program loading. All my other software is running just fine on Linux 19. Jitsi is the only hiccup. I'm wondering if I should maybe try something like Yahoo Messenger to see if that loads just to prove a point; it would not be a long term solution as I don't rate the security of the common messengers very highly. The attraction of Jitsi when I started using it in 2013 was its relative security and the fact that not too many people use it so it is less likely as a candidate for attacks. I'll play with things over the weekend and let you know next week how I get on. Regards
As long as the messenger or phone application uses secure protocols or is on a secure network they should be fine. Jitsi uses the OTR protocols and other security protocols (zrtp) which you have to generate the OTR fingerprints in their settings one time for each account you add (Tools->Options->Security->Chat, pick an account if no fingerprint key, click re-generate, check each account). Jitsi is great because it is a multi-account multi-media messenger so I can have it running to communicate (send and receive messages) with more than one messaging account that I have (2 Google Mail Talk/hangout accounts, one xmpp/jabber account, etc...) all at the same time.

I also use the superb free "qTox" (Qtox) multi-messenger (text, voice, video) instead of Skype for communicating securely and freely with other people which runs on the secure "tox" network and works with other secure Tox clients on all computer operating systems and or smartphones and tablets. There is also "Wire", "Ring", etc...

Hope this helps ...
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Hello, Phd21

Success. Installing Java and Oracle Java has done the trick. I also took your advice and changed to the latest unstable Developer version of Jitsi which is a lot better than the stable version I have been using for years. I guess you can now label this issue SOLVED.

Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

You are very welcome...

Were you able to add your SIP account(s) to Jitsi? My SIP accounts are still not working in Jitsi for some reason?
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Yes. I added my SIP account and my IPPI account and both registered at once and are working. I have also moved the kernel version up to 4.19.1. Bear in mind, I completely uninstalled Jitsi and then did a clean install of the Developer version after I had reinstated Java. Have you gone down that route?

I'm now in the process of installing the Linphone you mentioned. I was unaware of this and I think I ought to support it in preference to IPPI.

Regards
diapason
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi diapason,

That's great your SIP accounts are working too. Keep in mind that you cannot have SIP accounts active in more than one app at a time, like in Jitsi and Linphone, or at least I don't think you can.

FYI: I had to completely remove (purge) the previous version of Jitsi and then it does access my Linphone SIP account along with my other accounts except for my Ekiga SIP which apparently will not work with Jitsi.
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Happiness all round, then.
Once again, thanks for all your help.
diapason

Return to “Software & Applications”