Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sinesolis
Level 1
Level 1

Install fails

Post by sinesolis »

When trying to install Gloria the install fails after the initial countdown, or upon choosing any of the options from the option menus, all give this error:

Loading isolinux: disk error 80, AX=420C, Drive 9F
Boot Failed: press a key to retry...

I have tried burning the .iso to both cds and dvds, and have tried compatability mode to no avail. I downloaded the .iso from the main "Direct Download" link as well as one of the super slow american mirrors, both act the same.

Felica installed on the same machine after a series of false starts and tiresome headaches, but no luck whatsoever with Gloria. I do not have this problem with vanilla versions of Ubuntu. Any help would be appreciated.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install fails

Post by richyrich »

Hi sinesolis,
Can you post your hardware, what kind of pc, ram, hard drive, graphics card, etc.
Need more info to try and help troubleshoot.

Richard

sinesolis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sinesolis »

Sure thing, it's an older machine:

HP Pavillion ez4900 series laptop
2 GB ram
40 GB hard drive
Celeron M Class Processor
Integrated Intel Graphics

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Now, this may sound a little odd. But from doing a google search of your error, and checking Ubuntu / Linux forums. They have found that updating the motherboards BIOS has helped some with the same problem.
Soooo, I suggest you search your manufacturers support site for a BIOS update, & if so, follow their instructions.

Hope this helps, Richard

sinesolis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sinesolis »

Actually I just did that 2 weeks ago, updated the Bios to the latest version that is available. So I'm guessing its something else.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Well, that's not it!
What happens when you run it "Live" ?

sinesolis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sinesolis »

It doesn't get that far, when it finishes the count down it fails. If I skip the countdown and try to run it live or in compatability mode or any of the other options it immediately fails.

Will attempt to try it on 2 other newer machines as soon as I get the chance, I'll report back on the results of those attempts. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this btw.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Yea, Good luck! Too bad we couldn't find something . . :(
I'm lucky, I've got an old IBM A31p, and when I hit the F12 on initial bootup, and chose to boot from my dvd drive, Mint installed without a hitch or hiccough!
regards, Richard

sinesolis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sinesolis »

Allrighty, tried to install on 2 newer machines. One is about 1 year old (laptop), the other is brand new (desktop). Same outcome, install fails with the same error.

Just went ahead and installed Ubuntu 9.04 of the original laptop in question and it works fine, so my wife is happy with it (she has been a big Mint fan), though I had to switch the appearance up a bit (single panel at the bottom, single menu instead of three, etc) and nix all the brown for her to accept it :P

Thanks all.

r.tigre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r.tigre »

I have the same problem. I think the iso is corrupted. Test with the MD5

Return to “Installation & Boot”