(SOLVED) 2 Partitions Instead Of 3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED) 2 Partitions Instead Of 3

Post by MrGrimm »

good day,

i'd like to know if like in kde neon if i can just partition / and /swap. i'd rather not have 3 partitions. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: 2 Partitions Instead Of 3

Post by Moem »

Yes. It's perfectly valid to have home as a folder within /, not a separate partition; in fact, as far as I know that's default in Mint installations.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - that should be the default installation,
if you are not manually setting your own partitions.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Moem wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 am Yes. It's perfectly valid to have home as a folder within /, not a separate partition; in fact, as far as I know that's default in Mint installations.
Pierre wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 am YES - that should be the default installation,
if you are not manually setting your own partitions.
8)
cool just wanted to be sure. will be manually partitioning since for now i'm keeping win 10.thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MrGrimm wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 am will be manually partitioning since for now i'm keeping win 10.
In most cases you'll be offered the option to install alongside W10, no manual partitioning required for that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

then manually set aside some free space, from within the windows disk management program,
& then re-boot into the Kde system & just point it's installer to that free space .. .
and click on Next to continue with the install
8)

that Kde works great, on one of my machines,
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

almost every video i've seen regardless of distribution says do it manually, and to be honest from years past when i've tried linux i was always more comfortable doing the manual partitioning when i have another os already on the system. now as for the free space i already have that realy to go. thanks again.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's up to you. I'm just pointing out that you do not have to partition manually in order to dual boot with W10. It can most likely be done by just accepting the automatic option for 'install alongside'. And that'll give you the default 2 partition setup for Mint.

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that auto-partitioning that was mentioned by Moem did work on my win-7 machine,
& when the Kde Neon was installed along side of the win-7 partitions,
but I'd probably be somewhat more careful of using that method on an win-10 machine.

so, you could be right, in being that little more cautious with your proposed dual_boot system.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

o.k i decided to give over the entire drive to mint and use auto setup after resetting the ssd to like new. below is what mint did and it should support what it created by default. so i'd like to know why timeshift doesn't support the layout. thanks

https://i.imgur.com/Eb2afoz.png

https://i.imgur.com/IGSJiIq.png
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the TimeShift program generally does require an dedicated / separate ext4 partition,,
in order to save it's file into.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Pierre wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 am the TimeShift program generally does require an dedicated / separate ext4 partition,,
in order to save it's file into.
then why even include timeshift if that the partitions mint sets up when you use auto? any other programs that won't cry foul with the partition scheme mint setup by default?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

because, it's looking for your backup drive, in order to write those files. ..
- and specifically an formatted ext4 partition, as well.
and that should be separate from your New System.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Pierre wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 am because, it's looking for your backup drive, in order to write those files. ..
- and specifically an formatted ext4 partition, as well.
and that should be separate from your New System.
that makes no sense since that is the auto partitioning scheme mint CHOSE. if the people who build mint knew that wasn't going to work they should of chose to have a partition scheme that would work with timeshift by default.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

In my opinion, if you have installed Linux a few times, then ALWAYS pick the "something else" option. But before you install Linux on any existing system, single boot or dual boot or multi-boot, BACKUP your data FIRST.

If this is your first time to install, then pick the simplest option - the simplest will just partition / and SWAP. And if you are dual booting with Windows - and actually have free space on disk - use the "install alongside" option.

Backing up data is one of the most important things to consider for your new Linux install. Yes, Timeshift is available and can be useful. But I worry less about backing up system files than I do my data files. My data files cannot be replaced, at least not easily, so that is my absolute focus. There are a lot of Linux backup solutions that will allow you to pick where to send your data files. External USB drive enclosures are inexpensive, as are drives. I buy both on Ebay and I buy laptop size (2.5") drives and enclosures. I have three drives that I rotate on a regular cycle. You can do full backups every time, or do incremental. Just start doing backups regardless of your method and process.

I also keep a copy of my most current Linux installation on a thumb drive. I have one for my desktop machine (Kubuntu) and one other for my laptop machine (Mint Linux). If catastrophe strikes, the worst that can happen is a loss of about one week's worth of data - and most of that can be recreated easily.

Plan ahead.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

why are you covering stuff that has nothing to do with the thread topic? on another note this can be marked solved cause i found aptic and it solves my issue.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MrGrimm wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm this can be marked solved
That's great. Go ahead.

jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

MrGrimm wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm why are you covering stuff that has nothing to do with the thread topic? on another note this can be marked solved cause i found aptic and it solves my issue.
Just offering up insight on the topic and the rest of the conversation. Take it, or leave it :wink:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: (SOLVED) 2 Partitions Instead Of 3

Post by Pierre »

if you only have the one partition - ie: / root - the TS will save its files to there,,
but if you have a separate /home, then you can also set it to use that /home instead,,
or you can also set to use another ext4 partition, instead.

all of those options will work,, or you can just Turn it's Options Off as well,
- if you don't wish to use TS at all.
8)
MrGrimm

Re: (SOLVED) 2 Partitions Instead Of 3

Post by MrGrimm »

GEEZE what part of i got it figured out and fixed doesn't anyone get? or i can just uninstall ts along with a hadful of defaults that came with cinnamon that i either don't care about or replaced with something i think is better.

Return to “Beginner Questions”