Mint 19 on Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhenriday

Mint 19 on Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703

Post by mhenriday »

I've attempted to help one of our senior members by installing 32-bit Linux Mint 19 with the Cinnamon desktop on a laptop with a decade or more under its belt and the following hardware : an AMD Sempron 500+ processor, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a VIA Technologies, Inc K8M890CE/K8N890CE (Chrome 9] graphic card. Both when running from the flash drive and after installation, the following notice appears (my translation from the Swedish, apologies for any infelicities) :
Running in program-rendering mode.

Cinnamon is running without a video hardware accelerator and therefore you may notice a much higher CPU activity.

There may be a problem with your drivers or any other system elements. For the best experience, it is recommended that you use this setting for debugging purposes only
To take a single example of the problems I encounter when trying to run this machine, in this configuration the Update Manager doesn't function. Is it at all possible to run Mint 19 with the Cinnamon desktop on this antique box ? If not, is it possible to install and run a lighter desktop, like 32-bit Mint 19 Xfce ? Other alternatives ?...

Grateful for any and all suggestions !...

Henri
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mint 19 on Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703

Post by Moem »

Yes, installing Mint 19 XFCE or Mate is the first thing I'd try. Cinnamon needs more than this machine can offer.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

mhenriday wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am I've attempted to help one of our senior members by installing 32-bit Linux Mint 19 with the Cinnamon desktop on a laptop with a decade or more under its belt and the following hardware : an AMD Sempron 500+ processor, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a VIA Technologies, Inc K8M890CE/K8N890CE (Chrome 9] graphic card. Both when running from the flash drive and after installation, the following notice appears (my translation from the Swedish, apologies for any infelicities) :
If LM 19 Cinnamon 32 bit does not work on your old computer, try LM 18.x or LM 17.x. ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=281527
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

La 1703 with its VIA graphic card is too weak for Cinnamon. You will meet an audio problem too, but you can fix it the next way:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=201165&p=1045621#p1045621

In Mint 19, you need to add sound.py script via systemd. An example:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/la107audio.service
… the contents

[Unit]
Description=audio correction
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/sound.py

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
…. save, quit and enable process

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable la107audio.service
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

Moem wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 am Yes, installing Mint 19 XFCE or Mate is the first thing I'd try. Cinnamon needs more than this machine can offer.
Thanks for your speedy reply, Moem ! I've now installed Xfce and don't see that pesky notice anymore, but I find Xfce to be rather different from Cinnamon, to which I am accustomed, and therewith harder to adjust. If Mate doesn't require more powerful hardware than Xfce, I might try installing that desktop environment instead as I presume it's more like Cinnamon....

Once again, much thanks ! :D

Henri
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

Moem wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 am Yes, installing Mint 19 XFCE or Mate is the first thing I'd try. Cinnamon needs more than this machine can offer.
I've now tried both Xfce and Mate on this computer and both work, but one significant problem remains - I can't get a better resolution from the 15.4" monitor, which should have a max resolution of 1280 x 800 pix, than 640 x 480 pix. Any suggestions as to how this problem can be fixed ?...

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:44 am I've now tried both Xfce and Mate on this computer and both work, but one significant problem remains - I can't get a better resolution from the 15.4" monitor, which should have a max resolution of 1200 x 800 pix, than 640 x 480 pix. Any suggestions as to how this problem can be fixed ?...
How to use vesa graphic driver -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=266554
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

mhenriday wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:44 am I've now tried both Xfce and Mate on this computer and both work, but one significant problem remains - I can't get a better resolution from the 15.4" monitor, which should have a max resolution of 1200 x 800 pix, than 640 x 480 pix. Any suggestions as to how this problem can be fixed ?...

Henri
Display resolution is either set by the Display settings in >Menu >Preferences, or by going into the Terminal with the xrandr command. Please do a search on the xrandr how-to's.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:57 am
How to use vesa graphic driver -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=266554
Thanks for your speedy response, administollaattori ! As suggested in your post on the thread to which you link above, I entered

sudo Xorg :1 -configure
in a terminal, but unfortunately the line «Section "Device"» did not appear in the response ; rather the following result was displayed :
X.Org X Server 1.19.6
Release Date: 2017-12-20
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-138-generic i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux bonorrbom-AMILO-La1703 4.15.0-39-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 23 15:43:58 UTC 2018 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-39-generic root=UUID=ff5451d3-bed5-4c74-9fa8-ecf42296e7ae ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
Build Date: 25 October 2018 04:12:59PM
xorg-server 2:1.19.6-1ubuntu4.2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Nov 22 14:36:55 2018
List of video drivers:
amdgpu
ati
intel
nouveau
qxl
vmware
fbdev
modesetting
vesa
radeon
(++) Using config file: "/home/bonorrbom/xorg.conf.new"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

Xorg detected your mouse at device /dev/input/mice.
Please check your config if the mouse is still not
operational, as by default Xorg tries to autodetect
the protocol.

Your xorg.conf file is /home/bonorrbom/xorg.conf.new

To test the server, run 'X -config /home/bonorrbom/xorg.conf.new'

(EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
How would you suggest I proceed from here ?...

Henri

PS : Neglected to mention that the result of performing

inxi -G
was as follows :
Graphics: Card: VIA K8M890CE/K8N890CE [Chrome 9]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: fbdev (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
Resolution: 640x480@73.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

michael louwe wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:00 am

Henri
Display resolution is either set by the Display settings in >Menu >Preferences, or by going into the Terminal with the xrandr command. Please do a search on the xrandr how-to's.
Thanks for you response, Michael ! I've attempted to follow the instructions found here. Entering

cvt 1280 800
in a terminal gives
# 1280x800 59.81 Hz (CVT 1.02MA) hsync: 49.70 kHz; pclk: 83.50 MHz
Modeline "1280x800_60.00" 83.50 1280 1352 1480 1680 800 803 809 831 -hsync +vsync
but performing

xrandr --newmode "1280x800_60.00"   83.50  1280 1352 1480 1680  800 803 809 831 -hsync +vsync
results in
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
which leaves me stuck....

Any suggestions as to how I can proceed ?...

Henri
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:56 am Your xorg.conf file is /home/bonorrbom/xorg.conf.new

Copy that xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot and see if there is dfference (probably not).

sudo cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
If there is no change, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as an administrator, changing the driver as vesa

xed admin:///etc/X11/xorg.conf
If config does not work, delete the file

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I had a La 1703, and it was able to use resolution 1280 x 800
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:08 pm
mhenriday wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:56 am Your xorg.conf file is /home/bonorrbom/xorg.conf.new

Copy that xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot and see if there is dfference (probably not).

sudo cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
No change. I then proceeded to the following :
If there is no change, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as an administrator, changing the driver as vesa

xed admin:///etc/X11/xorg.conf
After editing the driver to vesa and rebooting, I could see from the log-in screen that screen resolution had indeed increased and the Welcome Screen, which appeared after I logged in, did so at a resolution which I took to be 1280 x 800. Hallelujah !, I thought, but then I noted something passing strange ; viz, when I close the Welcome Screen, nothing happens, i e, the only thing displayed is the standard Linux Mint 19 splash screen. No icons appear on my desktop or in the panel and I find myself unable to launch any programmes. Weird - so close and yet so far.... :shock:
If config does not work, delete the file

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I had a La 1703, and it was able to use resolution 1280 x 800
I've tried rebooting several times, but no joy. I'm considering reinstalling the Mate desktop environment in the hope that the 1280 x 800 resolution, but before doing so I'd like to ask if you can suggest any alternatives....

Henri

PS : I further note that, as was the case earlier, my screen goes dark after less than five minutes, despite having been set to 15 minutes, and that if I then touch a key or move my mouse, the authentication request which appears is also at a resolution which I take to be 1280 x 800. But after authenticating, I still only see the LM splash screen....
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 pm After editing the driver to vesa and rebooting, I could see from the log-in screen that screen resolution had indeed increased and the Welcome Screen, which appeared after I logged in, did so at a resolution which I took to be 1280 x 800. Hallelujah !, I thought, but then I noted something passing strange ; viz, when I close the Welcome Screen, nothing happens, i e, the only thing displayed is the standard Linux Mint 19 splash screen. No icons appear on my desktop or in the panel and I find myself unable to launch any programmes. Weird - so close and yet so far.... :shock:
Delete .config/monitors.xml file

rm .config/monitors.xml
.... and remove all but not vesa driver. The next command tells installed drivers

dpkg --get-selections | grep xserver-xorg-video
PS. What command xrandr tells?
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

After reinstalling 32-bit Mint 19 Mate, administollaattori, screen resolution was once again restricted to 649 x 480 pix. After editing /ect/X11/xorg.cong to make vesa the standard driver, what I presume is 1280 x 800 screen resolution was achieved, but as before, the panel was not displayed, which rendered manipulating the computer difficult. The log-in box did appear, however, so I could enter the relevant password and log in, but thereafter the only icons to which I had access were the defaults - Computer, Home, and the optical drive installed on the machine. Typing Ctrl+Alt+Tr, I was able to access a terminal, after which I attempted to restore the panel by entering

gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel
but no joy. I was able to place a Firefox icon on the desktop by right clicking it and choosing Create programme launcher from the menu and the browser works just fine (I can also enter

firefox %u
ina terminal to launch the browser, but obviously the computer is not in a state to be returned to its owner . Since I can access files on the computer and use a terminal or the desktop programme launcher to launch certain programmes, I get the impression that nothing major is wrong with the machine, but that the problem lies in the how icons and windows are displayed on the desktop. I'd very much appreciate any tips that you or any other reader familiar with AMILO La 1703 may have which would enable me to resolve this difficulty....

Henri

PS : I've now checked by entering

inxi -G
in a terminal, with the following result :
Graphics: Card VIA K8M890CE [Chrome 9]
drivers: (unloaded: modesetting, fbdev) FAILED: vesa
Resolution: 1280x768@0,00hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits
Presumably it is here the failure lies, but how can I correct it ?...
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:08 pm

inxi -G
Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and install xserver-xorg-video-openchrome driver

apt install xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:30 pm
mhenriday wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:08 pm

inxi -G
Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and install xserver-xorg-video-openchrome driver

Many thanks for bearing with me, administrollaattori ; your willingness to help - and not least, the quality of that help - are greatly appreciated !... :D

After deleting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf[c] file with the [c]sudo rm command and then performing

and rebooting, I found that I had gained access to the panel, with the Menu button, etc, etc. I almost fell off my chair !... :wink:

On perfroming

inxi -G
the following is displayed :
Graphics: Card: VIA K8M890CE/K8N890CE [Chrome 9]
drivers: openchrome (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1280x800@59.81hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Again, many many thanks !...

Henri
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 pm La 1703 with its VIA graphic card is too weak for Cinnamon. You will meet an audio problem too, but you can fix it the next way:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=201165&p=1045621#p1045621

In Mint 19, you need to add sound.py script via systemd. An example:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/la107audio.service
… the contents

[Unit]
Description=audio correction
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/sound.py

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
…. save, quit and enable process

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable la107audio.service
Administrollaattori, I've already thanked you for your invaluable help with my graphic problems ; the reason I've not marked the issue as solved is that I'd like to go further and resolve the sound problem - of which I confess I was entirely unaware until I read your post above - and therefore attempted to follow your instructions on this thread. Unfortunately, I find myself unable to get beyond the third step ; when I perform

sudo ./run.py
I'm unable to identify the problem ; this is what is displayed in the right panel :
Card: 0
Id: VT82xx
Driver: HDA-Intel
Name: HDA VIA VT82xx
LongName: HDA VIA VT82xx at 0xd9000000 irq 17
no «EAPD» or «Widget control»....

How do you suggest I proceed ?...

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:57 am I'm unable to identifythe problem ; this is what is displayed in the right panel :

Run run.py

sudo ./run.py
run-py.png
... and set Node[0x26]PIN as
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:40 am
mhenriday wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:57 am I'm unable to identifythe problem ; this is what is displayed in the right panel :

Run run.py

sudo ./run.py
Settings

run-py.png
... and set Node[0x26]PIN as
I've done this, but the settings for Node[0x26]PIN seem often to revert to the default settings when, for example, I reboot the machine, despite my choosing when asked not to revert them for all HDA codecs on the HDA-Analyzer. Is there anyway I can ensure that the new settings are preserved ?...

In addition, I note that under Sound settings/Hardware my VT 8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller seems to be inactivated and that under Setting for the selected unit, no alternative to activate it is provided. The major problem seems to lie here ; how can I activate this unit ?...

Again, much thanks for bearing with me !...

Henri
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:52 pm The major problem seems to lie here ; how can I activate this unit ?...
You need to export when the pin is correct
Copy that exported file into /etc for example, and make that sound.py startable via systemd. I am not quite sure if the line should be

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/sound.py
... or

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=cd /etc && ./sound.py

Return to “Installation & Boot”