Multiple desktops

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Re: Multiple desktops

Post by fwc »

Main Menu> Preferences> Simple CompizConfig Settings> Desktop
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joel2665

Post by joel2665 »

I'm relatively new at this myself, but I'll give it a shot.

Whether you call them multiple desktops or virtual workspaces, they are enabled by default. I'm sure there are several different ways to access them, but for immediate gratification, press Ctrl+Alt+[Right or Left arrow key]. Give it a try, and you'll see what I mean. If you're looking for the, perhaps more familiar, graphical representation of the multiple desktops, then right-click the panel, and then click "Add to Panel." Scroll to the bottom of the list and choose "Workspace Switcher."

I hope that helps.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

What level of visual effects do you have enabled? Normal will get you the desktop wall but for desktop cube and floating cube I think you need extra or custom for the 3-d effects.

Once you have the right visual effects level, go to Control Center=> Look and Feel=.>CompizConfig Settings. Disable "Desktop Wall" and enable "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube". That should give you what you want.

While you are at it , why not try some of the other Compiz effects; such as "Water Effect", "Paint Fire on the Screen", "Wobbly Windows"(my personal favorite), and others. Have fun!
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I also like 3D Windows (though it can crash on slower GPUs) and have recently become a fan of Expo with the Curve deformation.

Return to “Beginner Questions”