Transfer from Windows 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
naggis

Transfer from Windows 10

Post by naggis »

Just a few notes regarding my experience of installing LM after being a Windows user since 95 [23 years]. Microsofts insistance on time consuming and power demanding upgrades finally pissed me off enough to make a change - not Apple at any price but was the transition to linux easy? Bear in mind that I shall be 80 next birthday.
After trying a number of distros I settled on LM. Installation went without a hitch in less than half the time taken by Microsoft. And the system was immediately on the net and useable. None of the faff of installing printer drivers - just connect printer and laptop with a cable and a couple of mins later, you're printing. What about the dreaded terminal - could I get away without using it? Well no. The odd program needed its use but a small amount of googling gave the necessary "wording" to copy and paste, and hey presto! And Chromium gives all the online Google stuff I use all the time.
The one Windows program that I had used a lot was Photoshop. Could I get on with GIMP or would it make me limp? Well it is a bit different but not so much that you can't start using it fairly much right away. Oh! and Okular is the only pdf reader that I have found anywhere to copy and paste music scripts.
So, 2 months later I am delighted with LM and use it exclusively. One great feature is that a double boot with Windows 10 allows you to instantly access all your files created in Windows - would you believe that?
All you disaffected Windows users - JUST DO IT - LINUX MINT IS AN EASY TRANSITION.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Transfer from Windows 10

Post by rickNS »

Great story Naggis,
Mine is similar, but I quit windows before the 8 version, when I saw the preview of that, I swore I'd never use it, and I haven't

My last new printer (couple/few years ago ?) I plugged in to Mint, and like you it just worked. For the heck of it I tried the same on win 7 (which I still have a working copy) NO-GO it needed the half GB of crap that came with it on a disk to be installed first. I didn't do that.

All of which makes me laugh when we hear so many times on this forum about "how everything "just works" on windows"
I know for fact it "just don't"
The printer is not the only example, again for the heck of it I tried to install kodi on win7...needed some KB#### file. Tried to install some simple windows game...said needed some lib### file which I installed to the right path, still no go. AND if all those people saying that windows "just works" have they not seen any windows help forums ? HA, if everything just worked there would be no need of any win help forums...would they, and they are a plenty.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have two wireless capable printers, neither of them will just "plug and play" on Win7, even in USB mode, nope.... won't work.

for LM18.3, an easy click to get the Linux driver, and then the Add Printer app went fast.

and in your case, Linux can read the Windows partition(s) and data files just fine.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi naggis
it's always Real Nice to see, just how an Windows User can convert their machine,
over to a Linux System, and where the process was relatively straightforward.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

naggis wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:04 pm Microsofts insistance on time consuming and power demanding upgrades finally pissed me off enough to make a change - not Apple at any price but was the transition to linux easy? Bear in mind that I shall be 80 next birthday.
After trying a number of distros I settled on LM. Installation went without a hitch in less than half the time taken by Microsoft. And the system was immediately on the net and useable. None of the faff of installing printer drivers - just connect printer and laptop with a cable and a couple of mins later, you're printing.
Great post Naggis. Very true. Printing for me was one of the easiest things in LinuxMint too, while in Windows I needed to install a seperate cd rom which produced all kinds of pop ups during printing I did NOT need at all. LinuxMInt is very efficient. It just does what it needs to do without any hassle.

I was also frustrated beyond belief by the ridiculous update jungle with Windows. LinuxMint in comparison is a breeze.

Welcome to paradise Naggis.
naggis

Post by naggis »

I really did not expect the replies - thanks guys. Makes me feel all warm and fussy that there are folks out there actually reading stuff that is posted. I never tried it with Windows - knowing that any words would be blown away by the off shore Redmond wind.
I keep thinking that it took 20 odd years to come to terms with Windows and that I must put some more effort into sorting our Mint. Errm - but what needs sorting? No doubt I will come across some trial or tribulation that needs attention. BUT there are all you guys out there to help if that happens. Its like being in a new team!!
Would you believe that I volunteer at a local charity to help people sort out Windows [and some Ipad and Android stuff] but I am not sure that my "mature" audience would latch on to LM without some serious muttering :D .
I guess what it would be the threat of the TERMINAL [or is that TERMINATOR] that would put most folks off - it nearly did for me. I can hear the answer from here, that with LM you need the very minimum [if any] use of this feature. You may say its all in the mind and that the terminal is a much simpler and easier way to get things done - not for us poor ex Windozers. Maybe given time we will learn to love it but please continue the good work in making the GUI even better. :D
2pi

Post by 2pi »

it.'s an experience similar to mine. With the addition that for about 3 months I have used a lot of "Virtual Box".
Then, slowly, I started not to use it anymore. And also the use of the command line is similar: If one tries to find solutions using web resources, after a few weeks he learns at least the important commands.
Kefyr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kefyr »

I really like reading stories like this ! Yes, GNU/Linux (and free software in general) is awesome ! And thanks to Ubuntu and now Mint, it's so accessible to so many people :) Also to hear that you're open minded and doing all this yet almost 80 is really wonderful. I hope I can still be open to new technologies and so on when I'm your age (if they're free as in freedom!) if I even ever reach it and not be bitter about anything new that might come along :D

Thanks for your story, naggis
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Naggis, you neednt worry about the terminal. You really dont need at it all if you dont like it. I am still a newbie and the first year I have never use or had to use it once and I could sort out everyting perfectly. Sometimes experienced forummembers can help newbies better with some terminal commands. But the only thing one has to do then is use paste and copy. Really smooth sailing in LinuxMint without the terminal. Great work that you do by the way helping out other seniors!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kefyr wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 am I really like reading stories like this ! Yes, GNU/Linux (and free software in general) is awesome ! And thanks to Ubuntu and now Mint, it's so accessible to so many people :) Also to hear that you're open minded and doing all this yet almost 80 is really wonderful. I hope I can still be open to new technologies and so on when I'm your age (if they're free as in freedom!) if I even ever reach it and not be bitter about anything new that might come along :D

Thanks for your story, naggis
I will be 76 in March, so guess it is time to quit and lay down :mrgreen: NOT...

I happen to like Terminal, as I used to use the CMD: function in Windows a lot, easier to do things with the Command Line for a lot of cases.... and I could write Batch Files and then use a Desktop Shortcut to make that Batch File run.....

one of my favorites was a file to "Shutdown Now!" w/o all of that garbage that the normal Windows shutdown process goes thru. doing it that way, was clean, simple, and did not get that "improper shutdown" warning message.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lemonjuice

Post by Lemonjuice »

Hello everyone!
Came from Win7, although I have used Linux in the past, I am a gamer and this meant I needed Windows, but not any more.
Steam on Linux has changed the game and the fact that wine can, with a little work can run most of my old games.
I have a preference for Debian derivatives and this one is awesome! :D
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You, I suspect, are like most of us, grew up with the choice of either a bit of fruit, or limp soft. Mint is refreshingly easy and convenient compared to the Redmond offering. I'm a young bloke at on 61 (today) but only recently transitioned to Linux full time despite having tried it on and off over the years.In the not too distant future you'll be happily saying, "I can't remember how to fix ,,,,,,," when people ask you about their windwoes box. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lemonjuice wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm Hello everyone!
Came from Win7, although I have used Linux in the past, I am a gamer and this meant I needed Windows, but not any more.
Hello Lemonjuice, welcome! Sounds like it's time for you to post an introduction thread of your own! :D
The best place to do that is here: viewforum.php?f=180

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
naggis

Post by naggis »

Hey Kefyr. Its nice to hear from one of you young guys. It sounds as if you would take to the terminal like a duck to water. All I can do is encourage you to get away from the ever increasing Windows complications. The bit about "windows just does it" is applying increasingly to updates and the demand that you must install when Microsoft say so. I tried my best to stop the major updates that came twice per year further holding back my 8 year old but very friendly laptop and always caused some kind of problem or other, whilst imobilising the pc for what seemed to be ages. It was this particular tomfoolary that final pushed me over the edge to sample linux again - and boy am I glad I did!
I am still thinking that there must be some problem with LM that has not come to light yet - but must stop that negative thinking right now. The only slight hang up I had was to get my multifunction printer to scan - if it printed why didn't it scan too? A quick google came up with a solution and the words to copy and paste into the terminal and all was well in minutes. Hey, I had better stop all this positivity as you may think that I am getting a percentage of the selling price - ooops, almost forgot that there is no selling price!
Naturally I have not experienced a LM update yet but am not anticipating any difficulties. Has anyone got any advise on the matter? Any problems, upsets, stand on your head in the corner whilst we think about how to resolve the sh1t hole we have dropped you into?
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

I'm not sure the "Surely it will break soon" feeling ever goes away entirely. Been on LM almost 7 years now with absolutely no problems at all. Running xfce 18.3 and 19 across two laptops and a desk top, and have two friends with 18.3 desktops that I look after. No problems there either in the last 5 years or so. You don't get to learn much, so I lurk here to benefit from other peoples misfortune and be amazed by the care and patience of those who freely give their time and expertise to get them back on track.
And you can forget about the massive updates you're used to in Windows. Use Timeshift and keep the little green arrow on the task bar green and you're all up to date.
Go Steady, but keep going
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

naggis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 am I am still thinking that there must be some problem with LM that has not come to light yet - but must stop that negative thinking right now. The only slight hang up I had was to get my multifunction printer to scan - if it printed why didn't it scan too? A quick google came up with a solution and the words to copy and paste into the terminal and all was well in minutes.

Naturally I have not experienced a LM update yet but am not anticipating any difficulties. Has anyone got any advise on the matter?
Naggis you seem to be a very smart newcomer at Linux. Because you have already solved that scanning problem yourself so easily, I can assure you that LinuxMint19 will be a smooth ride for you. And one of the greatest things about LinuxMint is the fact that the updates are like paradise compared to the incredibly messy Windows updates. Updates in Linux are being offered more often, but you can install them WHEN you want. There is almost never a need do to a restart after an update. Only when a new kernel is being offered it is wise to do a restart. But besides that you can select at your own convenience WHEN you want to be offered new updates: daily or weekly or whatever period you like. I do it twice a week. And it will only take a minute or so. Updates are a breeze in LinuxMInt and updates were THE reason I fled away from Windows...

I never had a big problem with updates. One time, only a very small one. But that was at the very start when LinuxMint19 was just released and I had it fixed with Timeshift in a minute or 2. Have you activated Timeshift already Naggis? Timeshift is a good backup program that can solve any problem that might ever occur with new software being installed, by simply reverting back to a previous configuration.
naggis

Post by naggis »

I did come across a bit of a problem - my own fault? I agreed to install LM on a friends HP Pavilion laptop. This machine has a Broadcomm wifi card and LM just doesn't seem to get on with it.
Bit of head scratching and googling to find that Askubuntu has a detailed tutorial on how to sort this tricky problem. So there you have it - maybe there are problems here and there [some of them quite difficult] but there seems to always be someone, somewhere not only able to solve it but also willing to share the experience. Thanks guys.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

And that is why the Linux community is so good. All the "problems" have been solved and readily shared with others for their benefit. Whereas in Windows, all the problems just get "solved" and new ones created. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Naggis, your example with your friend's wifi card is right on the money. I think that hardware problems are the weakest part of LinuxMint. When one is lucky everything works from the get go. When one is less lucky, you have to fiddle and tweak to find a solution. Some hardware will never work with Linux. I dont know any statistics about hardware that just wont work at all with Linux though. I guess it is only a very small percentage, relatively bigger with newer hardware. Usually it is only a certain feature like suspend which wont work at all, no matter what you try. Videocards and wifi connections are reocurring difficulties as well on this forum as I have noticed. But LinuxMint forummembers are quite experienced and determined in solving those issues.
JSpeed

Post by JSpeed »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:34 pm I never had a big problem with updates. One time, only a very small one. But that was at the very start when LinuxMint19 was just released and I had it fixed with Timeshift in a minute or 2. Have you activated Timeshift already Naggis? Timeshift is a good backup program that can solve any problem that might ever occur with new software being installed, by simply reverting back to a previous configuration.
Updates, one thing that AMAZED me when I switched over to LM, and other distros, too.
Adding repositories and PPAs. The software you want isn't in the repositories you have? Add the one you need and the software UPDATES with the OS. That just blew my mind.
Installed Chrome. Added repository. Chrome updates through the Update Manager. Again, when YOU want it to.
Add the PPA for LibreOffice, get the latest stable version faster. Or the unstable version if you want, up to you.
I have a Roccat mouse. There's a PPA for that.
Opera, Teamviewer, Google. They have their own repositories.

Scanning? SANE. so 'E'asy. "Scanning Access Now Easy"

I upgraded after installing Win8. Such trash and it's only gotten worse. Ran with dual boot for about 2 months before realizing that I never booted to Winderz anymore. Uninstalled and reclaimed that part of my HDD for Linux.

For work, I'm forced to use Winderz 10 on my laptop because of proprietary software. I fight with it constantly. Why do I NEED XBOX on my work computer? I don't even own one.
I hate Winderz.

Return to “Beginner Questions”