Linux Mint 19.1 codenamed ‘Tessa’

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 codenamed ‘Tessa’

Post by MtnDewManiac »

It's a question of getting the answer to your question, as opposed to getting an answer that you want to hear (read). And that's fine as far as it goes, I suppose - because it is, to some extent, human nature, and we've probably all suffered some form of it at one time or another. As an extreme example, the person who visits their doctor due to a cancer scare and who would be very likely to thank their doctor if told, "No, Tom, you can relax and go on home, you're fine" - but has no word of thanks to offer if the doctor, instead, says, "Tom, we're going to have to do a biopsy."

But we get new members here every day, people who don't "know" one member from another and have to depend much on others' responses to determine which of the members tend to give good, factual advice. One of those new members, upon seeing someone (in this particular case, you) make a point to thank one person directly after not giving the same courtesy to someone else who'd just done what they'd asked them to... Well, it can and does sometimes make others wonder about the accuracy of that first responder's statements.

Which, in this case, happen to be true - you just did not like what you read. Unfortunately, not everyone reading this thread in the future will immediately realize that.

Some folks offer their thanks regularly and often; others rarely, if ever, do. Either way is fine (at least if one disregards the politeness aspect) - because both are consistent behaviors. It's the inconsistency of the thing, and/or what happens when someone lets their own expectations color the perceived worth of the answer... that their behavior is judged to be "passive aggressive" behavior.

Better if you had thanked no one...

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

When assistance is requested, same should be offered if possible. What was offered to me was not assistance - it was lecturing. Much as you just did. My basic questions were never answered. Had I experienced same several years ago when starting out in Mint, I would merely have moved on.

Although I use Linux Mint, I do not recommend it any longer. What was at one time a very helpful cadre of experts, has devolved into lecturers. It was the friendly expertise of the forum that made Mint great.That is gone.Too bad, as you are giving Linux Mint a bad rap. And, of course, a bad rap causes explorative users to move on.

No need to answer this, as I see no reason to continue the charade of "available expertise" on this forum.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

gm10 answered your questions 1, 2, and 3 in this thread.

I don't understand why the statement:
What was offered to me was not assistance - it was lecturing.
Plus, this area is for Releases & Announcements, not support.
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inundated »

The three responses were definitely correct, though I can see how the first one can be seen as dismissive. You could almost hear the sigh. :D

So, I can see where Linux-Bill is coming from. But I always try to thank anyone who even tries to answer, if I'm naming those who reply.

But...

This is not a support announcement or thread. If there's a problem with Wine on the current 19, there are probably numerous answers that would help to fix the problem (which he apparently did find elsewhere). As for 19.1, only clem could answer if there is anything that needs to be adjusted re: Wine as it works with Linux Mint.

My thought is find the fix for 19 and see if it still works when 19.1 comes out.

ETA: I found this thread here after a quick search:

viewtopic.php?t=272814
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
IDG

Post by IDG »

Is there any plans to fix scaling issues on 4K monitors because the way it is now is horrible? Some apps won't scale when double the scaling. Font too small.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

ninatity wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 am
mattlach wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:12 pm Any word on what version of Mesa we might get?

Mint 19 is currently on 18.0. Those of us with Vega based APU's would be overjoyed if it would ship with 18.2+ :p
You do not want Mint 19.1 for that. Mint does not do its personal kernels.

four.17 and four.18 kernel collection are presently available within the repositories for upcoming Ubuntu 18.10. I endorse you use the ones instead of the uncooked mainline kernels that ukuu offers. individually i'm the use of the four.18 series. Make a new thread in case you need help with that.

once Ubuntu 18.10 is released subsequent month, the kernel from that release can be made to be had to Ubuntu 18.04 = Mint 19.x inside the ordinary repositories as well, that's what Ubuntu calls the hardware Enablement (HWE) stack. In case of doubt just anticipate that.
I've been using the cosmic kernels from the main cosmic and cosmic-updates repository for my fiance's Raven ridge build. I did have her on 4.18.0-10 but even that results in periodic hard freezes. Then I tried the 4.19.1 kernel, manually downloaded from the mainline kernel repository to test if it would solve this issue. My fiance told me she got another hard freeze after a couple of days.

It's almost a bit crazy to me that an APU that has been out as long as the 2400G has still doesn't have full reliable support. When I built this computer for her, I didn't even consider the fact that the 2400G would be too new to work properly on current kernels, based on the fact that the Ryzen architecture was launched in December of 2016, and the Vega based APU architecture was launched with the Vega 64 in August 2017. That's almost two years and more than one year respectively, and that at least used to be a bloody eternity in computer time, at least back when I was in college upgrading my CPU/Motherboard annually, and my GPU every 6 months.

AMD really needs to step up and get involved with the kernel dev teams early on before release. IMHO, if you don't have full hardware support in current distributions by 2 months after launch, you are done. PC product cycles may be longer today than they were 20 years ago, but even so, no one wants to buy hardware and have it depreciate in front of their eyes before they can even fully use it.

I never have this problem with either Intel or Nvidia. Stuff just works out of box on launch day.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Is there a 19.1 beta to download yet?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RamBurner wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:44 am Is there a 19.1 beta to download yet?
Not as far as I know. It will most likely be announced in the blog when there is.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Work is still underway on 19.1, patience. ;)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Thanks, Moem and gm10. I was beginning to wonder why I couldn't find it.

I can't wait to fire it up on my 2011 13" MBP and put it through its paces.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

IDG wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 am Is there any plans to fix scaling issues on 4K monitors because the way it is now is horrible? Some apps won't scale when double the scaling. Font too small.
Although I'll probably be reamed for lecturing instead of helping the answer here is likely no. Both Cinnamon and Mate support HiDPI quite well. Some applications that don't scale are down to the apps themselves. They are still using toolkits that don't support HiDPI. There is nothing Mint can do about that. All of our own tools should work properly.

This is the case with many things people have a problem with. Many of the issues are coming from upstream and simply out of the hands of the Mint devs. Telling someone so isn't "lecturing". It's pointing out simple fact. Even if someone doesn't like it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I'm wondering if the 19.x versions of Mint will be supported for ten years, to match the ten year support window that Mark Shuttleworth recently announced for its base (Ubuntu 18.04).

And, because I think I remember once reading a response here to a question about why the Mint versions were supported for the amount of time that they are being something along the lines of, "That's the length of support for the distro we customize and repackage as Mint," I am also wondering if the support window for the 17.x versions of Mint will get extended past 2021 - because he also mentioned that Ubuntu 16.04 will have its support window extended (although I didn't see any specific time period mentioned, and am tentatively guessing it will end up being either (a total of) eight or ten years).

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/11/19 ... m-support/

The second paragraph is off-topic, but I didn't know which subforum to post the question in, and think it might be easily responded to in the same paragraph as my first question is (assuming that Clem or someone else on the team both reads my post and chooses to answer it, of course).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:23 am I'm wondering if the 19.x versions of Mint will be supported for ten years, to match the ten year support window that Mark Shuttleworth recently announced for its base (Ubuntu 18.04).
As per existing discussions about the longer LTS period, this will almost certainly only be relevant to commercial use of Ubuntu server.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Thank you for informing me of that thread's existence.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

JosephM wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm
IDG wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 am Is there any plans to fix scaling issues on 4K monitors because the way it is now is horrible? Some apps won't scale when double the scaling. Font too small.
Although I'll probably be reamed for lecturing instead of helping the answer here is likely no. Both Cinnamon and Mate support HiDPI quite well. Some applications that don't scale are down to the apps themselves. They are still using toolkits that don't support HiDPI. There is nothing Mint can do about that. All of our own tools should work properly.

This is the case with many things people have a problem with. Many of the issues are coming from upstream and simply out of the hands of the Mint devs. Telling someone so isn't "lecturing". It's pointing out simple fact. Even if someone doesn't like it.
See, now I find that actually pretty interesting. I didn't realize that sort of thing was dependent upon toolkits. I mean, I get there are ways to write apps which I would expect would be resolution-limited (or limited in other respects) but I didn't know "normally written" mainstream apps could run afoul of this, too. Good to know.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
andremr

Post by andremr »

Where are discussed xfce (or mate) changes? I found only changes that impact cinnamon...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

andremr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 am Where are discussed xfce (or mate) changes? I found only changes that impact cinnamon...
They'll be in the release notes when the beta iso's are formally announced which is imminent. Some of the mint tools (update manager in particular) have got some nice new functionality and fixes. Mint-Y has fully matured and is much better than the 19 incarnation - with a full suite of accent colour versions available. The Mint team are putting in back some of the stuff stripped out by the Wine developers that makes Wine easier to setup and use. I don't think there will be any major changes in desktop functionality. Neither Mate or XFCE have had a major upstream release since Mint 19 was released.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

smurphos wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 am
andremr wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 am Where are discussed xfce (or mate) changes? I found only changes that impact cinnamon...
They'll be in the release notes when the beta iso's are formally announced which is imminent.
Yes. The only (beta) version of Mint 19.1 out at present is the Cinnamon-flavored one. And even that took me by surprise when I read about it at
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/12/lin ... a-download
I thought maybe it would happen soon after the first of the new year.

I expect the MATE version of the beta next, and then the Xfce one last.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 am
Yes. The only (beta) version of Mint 19.1 out at present is the Cinnamon-flavored one. And even that took me by surprise when I read about it at
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/12/lin ... a-download
I thought maybe it would happen soon after the first of the new year.

I expect the MATE version of the beta next, and then the Xfce one last.

Regards,
MDM
No - OMGUbuntu jumped the gun - or possibly the beta announcement was made and immediately withdrawn due to a minor error in iso naming that needs to be fixed (no beta in the filename). 19.1 ISOs for all three editions are floating around the mint mirrors at the moment.

Clem has said in the blog that 19.1 would be here for Xmas for a while.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jss

Post by jss »

Hello,

Congratulations for your great work!!!
Just freshly installed, apt-get updated&upgraded.
At the beginning I didn't notice it was a beta.

The MySQL server does not install correctly, it does not ask you for the root password in the console as usual.
The deamon does not start either.
Just to let you know.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”