[Solved] Font Shadows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Font Shadows

Post by Mumrik93 »

I never seem to get used to the fonts on my desktop, and while i was using a windows desktop recently i realised it might be because the shadows begind the fonts on windows are mich more apearent then they are on my Linux Mint: Cinnamon desktop!
I've been going over the pre-installed font manager and i cant seem to find any settings for increasing the shadow-level on my fonts. So my question is, is it possible to increase the shadows somehow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Font Shadows

Post by cliffcoggin »

Font shadows? I have never noticed any shadows in Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. What font are you using?
Cliff Coggin
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

I remember back in the day when I was using Microsoft Windows and font shadows was a thing. But I don't think you are going to find font shadows in Linux.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Never seen that in Linux myself either.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

First timer letting us know again that microsoft is better !
Haha, good one.

First I can't imagine anyone wanting shadow on "normal" sized text.
Pretty sure MS does not have shadow text system wide, but only in word docs. (or other graphic programs).

Libre Office does also have this function.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

I took the time to install the "Noto Sans Cypriot Regular" fonts (which MS10 uses under the desktop-icons) on my Linux Mint Cinnamon PC so we can compare, this was the result, you can clearly see that MS10 has more apearent shadows behind the fonts when compared to Cinnamon.

Secondly, this is not about MS10 being better (why would i ever use Linux Mint if i thought that MS10 was better?) I just wanna be able to read the letters on my icons no matter if i have a bright or dark desktop wallpaper, if i get a bright wallpaper then i'll have a seriouse problem trying to reading them. All i'm wondering is if there are some sort of setting that will let me increase the shadow and/or dark tint in the desktop fonts?
Last edited by Mumrik93 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:48 pm Font shadows? I have never noticed any shadows in Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. What font are you using?
Usually "Noto Sans Regular", but for the comparison above i used "Noto Sans Cypriot Regular". Though i've been trying out "SAAB Regular as well... cuz i drive a SAAB, thought that was hilarious xD
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

MS Windows is unbeatable in question of good taste.
Indeed.
Comic Sans MS is also an absolute highlight - typographic avant garde.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Actually, yes you can have font shadows. It's hard to tell but this is from my desktop:
Shutter_044.png
Not sure if you can see the darker shadow for the font.

I run 19 Xfce on my desktop and laptop. I adjusted the the desktop's fonts and shadows for my partner.

Unfortunately, it's not an option to be found in any settings. If you have Cinnamon, I believe is a .css file that will need to be edited.
Last edited by JerryF on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

JerryF wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm Actually, yes you can have font shadows. It's hard to tell but this is from my desktop:

Shutter_044.png
Not sure if you can see the darker shadow for the font.

I run 19 Xfce on my desktop and laptop. I adjusted the the desktop's fonts and shadows for my partner.

Unfortunately, it's not an option to be found in any settings. If you have Cinnamon, I believe is at .css file that will need to be edited.
I see, where are the .css files usually located. I did a quick look and i can only find the .conf-files, but i may not be looking in the right place (I am a newbie after all).
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mumrik93 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:54 pm I see, where are the .css files usually located. I did a quick look and i can only find the .conf-files, but i may not be looking in the right place (I am a newbie after all).
.css files are located in different places and I don't remember where and which file was the one that needs to be edited. :(
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

JerryF wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm
Mumrik93 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:54 pm I see, where are the .css files usually located. I did a quick look and i can only find the .conf-files, but i may not be looking in the right place (I am a newbie after all).
.css files are located in different places and I don't remember where and which file was the one that needs to be edited. :(
Aww allright, well i'm at least one step closer! I know it's possible and i know what i'm looking for! Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Forgot to mention that it only affected the desktop fonts, not ones in file manager, etc.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Definitely looks like there's some shadowing on both the Windows and LM screen captures that you've posted, with the Windows one having much more shadowing so it's more noticeable. Personally I don't like the heavy Windows shadows, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to increase the shadowing on your LM desktop.

I think I read somewhere that CSS files are used for these sort of things? If so then you'll want to find the CSS file (usr/share/themes/Linux Mint/cinnamon/cinnamon.css I believe is where it's stored) and hunt through it until you see the font name that you're using and see if there's a line that has text-shadow in it, followed by a pixel value, like this:

Code: Select all

text-shadow: 1px;
If you find this then change the pixel value, eg to 2px, to increase the font shadow.

Here's some more info on editing cinnamon.css, make a backup first!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

JerryF wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 pm Forgot to mention that it only affected the desktop fonts, not ones in file manager, etc.
That's no problem for me personally, i only want it on the desktop fonts!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

...is there a safed place, a shelter, a what ever for male and (maybe - but I hope...) female depressive graphic artists, typographers and illustrators?

Consolation and affection needed. Urgently!

There are this curses of Montezuma and Tecumseh and the statement of chief Seattle... In the name of the good taste - goes every of them to fulfilment...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm ...is there a safed place, a shelter, a what ever for male and (maybe - but I hope...) female depressive graphic artists, typographers and illustrators?

There are this curses of Montezuma and Tecumseh and the statement of chief Seattle... In the name of the good taste - goes every of them to fulfilment...
What? :?:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

JerryF wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm ...is there a safed place, a shelter, a what ever for male and (maybe - but I hope...) female depressive graphic artists, typographers and illustrators?

I am glad if I do not confronting with eye cancer by coincidence. I really do not need MS Windows® standards to start this kind of cancer.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 pm
JerryF wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 pm

I am glad if I do not confronting with eye cancer by coincidence. I really do not need MS Windows® standards to start this kind of cancer.
Why so passive-agressive? I just wanna be able to read the fonts when usinga bright wallpaper. To quote Bryan Lunduke "It's a good looking system" (Windows 10) but that dosent mean i Like windows. Secondly, if you dont wanna "Start this kind of cancer.." Then dont! So far you've been the only one in this thread whos been passivly-agressive and done nothing contribute to the very subject the thread is about. If you dont wanna hear us newbies asking stupid questions then dont go into the "Newbie Questions" section..
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

murray wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm Definitely looks like there's some shadowing on both the Windows and LM screen captures that you've posted, with the Windows one having much more shadowing so it's more noticeable. Personally I don't like the heavy Windows shadows, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to increase the shadowing on your LM desktop.

I think I read somewhere that CSS files are used for these sort of things? If so then you'll want to find the CSS file (usr/share/themes/Linux Mint/cinnamon/cinnamon.css I believe is where it's stored) and hunt through it until you see the font name that you're using and see if there's a line that has text-shadow in it, followed by a pixel value, like this:

Code: Select all

text-shadow: 1px;
If you find this then change the pixel value, eg to 2px, to increase the font shadow.

Here's some more info on editing cinnamon.css, make a backup first!
So i've been going trough the cinnamon.css and there were a few 'text-shadow' options there, sadly it seems none of them actually has any effect on the fonts located on the desktop, raised from 2px to as high as 11px and saw absolutely no difference. Sadly looks like i'm back to square one :(
Last edited by Mumrik93 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”