[WARNING: TEST RIGS ONLY] How to upgrade today from 19 Tara to 19.1 Tessa

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

[WARNING: TEST RIGS ONLY] How to upgrade today from 19 Tara to 19.1 Tessa

Post by Pjotr »

THIS IS RATHER HIGH-RISK AND SO FOR TEST MACHINES ONLY:

This is how to upgrade today from Linux Mint 19 Tara, to the bèta of 19.1 Tessa:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/tara/tessa/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reboot.

Tested successfully on two of my test rigs.

Reason for posting: premature upgrade how-to's always pop up long before the official upgrade path is being made available. So I thought it might be a good idea to forestall them with a how-to that warns clearly about the risks.
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [WARNING: TEST RIGS ONLY] How to upgrade today from 19 Tara to 19.1 Tessa

Post by trytip »

where are these instructions from?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

trytip wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm where are these instructions from?
From me. :mrgreen:
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Such a dare devil :D
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Could there be a better test for Timeshift? :)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm
trytip wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm where are these instructions from?
From me. :mrgreen:
i don't see any errors in the beta upgrade, seems to work decent. i had the usual permissions conflicts again, will the mint team ever figure this out?
mint02@tara:~$ find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
find: ‘/home/mint02/.cache/doc’: Permission denied
find: ‘/home/mint02/.gvfs’: Permission denied
i had to boot into my arch to delete these as couldn't delete them even as root while booted to mint 19
i would recommend the upgrade as is, of course do your Timeshift first 👍

there are the usual annoyances in .xsession-errors

(nm-applet:1471): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 10:27:38.006: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(nemo:1733): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 10:25:57.590: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed
(redshift-gtk:1458): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 10:23:30.375: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

trytip wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 pm i don't see any errors in the beta upgrade, seems to work decent. i had the usual permissions conflicts again, will the mint team ever figure this out?

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER $HOME
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Thanks Pjotr, upgrade went fast in vbox. I guess testing in vbox won't help the Mint team much but I can see it anyways.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scoson »

Thanks for this, working good so far on my Dell laptop so I'm relieved already. I have all panel icons set at 16px to make it look the way I'm used to. Had to re-add CinnVIIStark menu after not compatible warning, but after updating applets works fine (edit: 'sound 150%' broken, 'sound' works fine). Trying grouped window list for the first time and it's cool, what a space saver. Isn't that what was supposed to be included with Cinn 4.0 by default? It seems I had to add that applet manually after I kept looking for settings for it.
Last edited by scoson on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I'm sure this is a stupid question (in that I am guessing the answer is "No, obviously,") but:

If someone does this thing, and then encounters major (to them) issues, would reverting be as simple as using the non-graphical boot screen, changing the update path back, and then running the update process again?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 pm If someone does this thing, and then encounters major (to them) issues, would reverting be as simple as using the non-graphical boot screen, changing the update path back, and then running the update process again?
No, you'd have to manually downgrade all involved packages then. Better use Timeshift for something like that.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Okay, gm10, thanks.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
bfrost

Post by bfrost »

Updated two machines from 19 to 19.1 and it works great, thanks! Only problem with 11 inch screen is that Brave browser icon goes to the right(est) in the panel icons (group) after removing Firefox icon.
osx2mint

Post by osx2mint »

Somewhat of a noob question here as I'm still cracking the knuckles switching from OSX to Mint (inside a vm while I await the hw) ...

I was under the impression that 19.1 beta would appear in the Update Manager. I'm reading articles and watching videos of 19.1 on youtube but for the life of me cannot find an official update path other than to download the 1.8G iso. I see Pjotr's repository and other's seem to have tested it but being a noob I'm looking for something from the dev's or listed in the Update Manager.

If anyone can shed light on how these beta cycle updates can be officially installed from it would be appreciated.

Simon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

osx2mint wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am I was under the impression that 19.1 beta would appear in the Update Manager.
It will not. But the final version will, when it's out of beta. Since you are new to Mint, it doesn't make much sense to test a beta, so I would just use 19 for now.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

osx2mint wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am I see Pjotr's repository and others seem to have tested it but being a noob I'm looking for something from the devs
It's not my repo. The command that I described, switches your Mint 19 repo's from the official Tara repo's to the official Tessa repo's.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

Thanks for the easy instructions. Worked like a charm. I understand the warnings, but being an experienced Linux user I am ok with the risks. All my important files are in symlinked folders on another partition so even if it had gone horribly wrong an hour later I would be back where I was.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Kilz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:32 pm Thanks for the easy instructions. Worked like a charm. I understand the warnings, but being an experienced Linux user I am ok with the risks. All my important files are in symlinked folders on another partition so even if it had gone horribly wrong an hour later I would be back where I was.
That's what I like to read. You're a fine example of the kind of users that I intended to target with this how-to. :)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm THIS IS RATHER HIGH-RISK AND SO FOR TEST MACHINES ONLY:

This is how to upgrade today from Linux Mint 19 Tara, to the bèta of 19.1 Tessa:

sudo sed -i 's/tara/tessa/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reboot.

Tested successfully on two of my test rigs.

Reason for posting: premature upgrade how-to's always pop up long before the official upgrade path is being made available. So I thought it might be a good idea to forestall them with a how-to that warns clearly about the risks.
I have been known to do not so stable things to my machines. What the heck...it only takes a few hours to reinstall/reconfigure.
Here goes!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Annnd..I'm back. Quick and painless...so far.

My daughter's name is Tessa. Let's see if this is as good as when she was a kid... :)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Tutorials”