New Linux Mint 19 Install - Minecraft extreme stuttering (SOLVED)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neuron67

New Linux Mint 19 Install - Minecraft extreme stuttering (SOLVED)

Post by Neuron67 »

I have the proprietary drivers installed for my graphics card but for some reason Minecraft is stuttering.
There are no mods installed whatsoever.
I have tried many things incl. allocating more RAM and basically everything I could think of to correct this.
Minecraft was playing fine before the new install.
Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uberdorf

Re: New Linux Mint 19 Install - Minecraft extreme stuttering

Post by uberdorf »

Please post the specifications of your system and the output of

Code: Select all

java -version
The java version should say 1.8 for openjdk or java 8 for Oracle java. The problem with minecraft for Mint 19 is that java defaults to a newer version than java 8, which does not work well with Minecraft.
Here is a video on making Minecraft work in Mint 19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbaDU1l3Onk

If you don't want to use Oracle Java or MultiMC, another solution is to go into the options for the default Minecraft and input the full directory path to openjdk 8, which I did in the following video on increasing fps in Minecraft on Mint 19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIxcfahL0sw
Neuron67

Re: New Linux Mint 19 Install - Minecraft extreme stuttering (SOLVED)

Post by Neuron67 »

@uberdorf, Thanks for your info, BTW I watched your video on YT several times now and I wouldn't have got Minecrfaft working without it so thank you very much!
I just completed a reinstall of Linux Mint and this time I skipped the updates and went straight to the install of java 8 and used the terminal to install Minecraft Launcher. I didn't even install the recommended graphics driver and to my surprise, It works fine! It had to be the nVidia driver that caused the stuttering(hiccuping). My graphics card is an old GTS 250 and in Windows it works great but the one driver that's available through linux is no good.
I'm going to mark this thread as solved and to anyone else that's using an old nVidia graphics card, if the only driver recommended is 340.107, just skip it and use the "X.Org nouveau display driver".

Return to “Gaming”