(SOLVED) Applying View Settings To All Subfolders

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED) Applying View Settings To All Subfolders

Post by MrGrimm »

i would like to know if there is a way to apply the same view setting for a parent folder to it's subfolders and their content instead of having to do one folder at a time. thanks
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Re: Applying View Settings To All Subfolders

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:49 pm i would like to know if there is a way to apply the same view setting for a parent folder to it's subfolders and their content instead of having to do one folder at a time. thanks
hi MrGrimm!

have you tried: edit> preferences> default view: View new folders using {select from drop down menu}

I prefer List view and some other options that tab, and it works for me that way.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm
MrGrimm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:49 pm i would like to know if there is a way to apply the same view setting for a parent folder to it's subfolders and their content instead of having to do one folder at a time. thanks
hi MrGrimm!

have you tried: edit> preferences> default view: View new folders using {select from drop down menu}

I prefer List view and some other options that tab, and it works for me that way.
that's global, so no cause it will change all view setting system wide.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

As is stands via the command line only. This would make a nice nemo-action

e.g. this one liner will make all subfolders in Pictures display in icon view at maximum size in Nemo.

Code: Select all

find "$HOME/Pictures/" -type d -exec gio set {} metadata::nemo-default-view "OAFIID:Nemo_File_Manager_Icon_View" \; -exec gio set {} metadata::nemo-icon-view-zoom-level "6" \;
To get an idea of what commands you can use with gio set explore a few folders with the command gio info

e.g. gio info "$HOME/Pictures" | grep metadata

Code: Select all

metadata::nemo-default-view: OAFIID:Nemo_File_Manager_List_View
  metadata::nemo-icon-view-auto-layout: true
  metadata::nemo-icon-view-tighter-layout: false
  metadata::nemo-icon-view-zoom-level: 3
  metadata::nemo-list-view-sort-column: name
  metadata::nemo-list-view-sort-reversed: false
  metadata::nemo-list-view-zoom-level: 2
Note gio set is Mint 19 + only. The equivalent for 18.x is gvfs-set-attribute
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

thanks, if that's what i need to do then thanks. luckily i only need to do this fot movie series, movies, and muzak.. and yes that would make a great action. a generic action that users can edit to fit their particular needs. a action with all the various setting written at the bottom for reference. would i be correct in assuming that the con tent in those subfolders would also adopt the mater viewsetting? thanks again.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yes, I have edit > preferences > view set to list view as default, but one of the things that had me going round in circles - trying to get nemo to display the same icon/font size in all windows.

First thing, under edit > preferences > behavior there is a check box 'ignore per-folder view preferences'
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 15-53-43.png
So that behavior is consistent across all windows.

Second, in the normal window there is a slide bar bottom right that controls font/icon size (think this works independently of the above). In spite of using mint nearly three years only just noticed this.
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 15-57-58.png
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm Yes, I have edit > preferences > view set to list view as default, but one of the things that had me going round in circles - trying to get nemo to display the same icon/font size in all windows.

First thing, under edit > preferences > behavior there is a check box 'ignore per-folder view preferences'
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 15-53-43.png
So that behavior is consistent across all windows.

Second, in the normal window there is a slide bar bottom right that controls font/icon size (think this works independently of the above). In spite of using mint nearly three years only just noticed this.
Screenshot from 2018-12-15 15-57-58.png
the bottom is fine IF you want everything the same type of view across the entire system with just different sizes, hence the top. need that on top for individual drives and partitions.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi MrGrimm!

How about if you toggle that ignore per folder check block to Off, re:
AndyMH wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm First thing, under edit > preferences > behavior there is a check box 'ignore per-folder view preferences'
I do realize this would still require you to set custom views, per se, for all them folders- but they should retain that setting afterwards as long as you keep that off.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:20 pm hi MrGrimm!

How about if you toggle that ignore per folder check block to Off, re:
AndyMH wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm First thing, under edit > preferences > behavior there is a check box 'ignore per-folder view preferences'
I do realize this would still require you to set custom views, per se, for all them folders- but they should retain that setting afterwards as long as you keep that off.
guess i could set EVERYTHING to compact so i get multiple columns which is the view i use for most things, and then i can switch the individual folders that i want icon / compact view to that. so yes my best option at this point might be to toggle that on, do compact view, and then toggle it off. though i'm still interested in if others have any other ideas. thanks
tigerucla
Level 1
Level 1

Re: )SOLVED) Applying View Settings To All Subfolders

Post by tigerucla »

If anyone is still trying to do this, here's a little more detail that helped me-

Open any folder
Edit
Preferences
Views tab
Default View
check "Inherit view type from parent"

Then go to the parent folder
View
select desired view

:)
Mint user since 06/19/20
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: (SOLVED) Applying View Settings To All Subfolders

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
O-rion's question can be found in the Mate sub-forum here, please: Applying View Settings To All Subfolders available in Caja file-manager as well?
This thread from 2018 about file-manager Nemo, Cinnamon desktop, is as dead as a dead mouse can be.
Locking it to prevent it from being revived a third time in 2021.
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Cinnamon”