I hit the systemd wall (probably)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

I hit the systemd wall (probably)

Post by yossarian_yon »

Mint 19 cinnamon 3.8.8, kernel 4.15.0-42 all standard.
After playing with Orange.Pi and DNS server I lost internet connections.
That was one month before, til now I was on Mint 18.3 searching solution and
learning networking in Linux :| .
What I found til now, that something in my config is broken and that systemd and
network manager are conflicting one another. I don't know who is in command
and broke things. All my devices have fixed addresses.
192.168.5.55 is my Orange.PI DNS and is working well. When I lose connection I go
to "network manager" and flip the switch and thing works again.

this is output of "nmcli device show" part that change when it's working-

Code: Select all

GENERAL.CON-PATH:                       /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/10
WIRED-PROPERTIES.CARRIER:               on
IP4.ADDRESS[1]:                         192.168.5.10/24
IP4.GATEWAY:                            192.168.5.99
IP4.ROUTE[1]:                           dst = 192.168.5.0/24, nh = 0.0.0.0, mt = 100
IP4.ROUTE[2]:                           dst = 169.254.0.0/16, nh = 0.0.0.0, mt = 1000
IP4.ROUTE[3]:                           dst = 0.0.0.0/0, nh = 192.168.5.99, mt = 20100
IP4.DNS[1]:                             192.168.5.55
IP6.ADDRESS[1]:                         fe80::ad74:e5ba:a0fd:c943/64
IP6.GATEWAY:                            --
IP6.ROUTE[1]:                           dst = ff00::/8, nh = ::, mt = 256, table=255
IP6.ROUTE[2]:                           dst = fe80::/64, nh = ::, mt = 256
IP6.ROUTE[3]:                           dst = fe80::/64, nh = ::, mt = 100
and now when it's not working

GENERAL.CON-PATH:                       /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/17
WIRED-PROPERTIES.CARRIER:               on
IP4.ADDRESS[1]:                         192.168.5.10/24
IP4.ADDRESS[2]:                         192.168.5.102/24
IP4.GATEWAY:                            --
IP4.ROUTE[1]:                           dst = 169.254.0.0/16, nh = 0.0.0.0, mt =
IP4.ROUTE[2]:                           dst = 192.168.5.0/24, nh = 0.0.0.0, mt =
IP4.ROUTE[3]:                           dst = 192.168.5.0/24, nh = 0.0.0.0, mt =
IP4.DNS[1]:                             192.168.5.55
IP6.ADDRESS[1]:                         fe80::156c:9774:3e98:d5e7/64
IP6.ADDRESS[2]:                         fe80::ad74:e5ba:a0fd:c943/64
IP6.GATEWAY:                            --
IP6.ROUTE[1]:                           dst = ff00::/8, nh = ::, mt = 256, table
IP6.ROUTE[2]:                           dst = fe80::/64, nh = ::, mt = 256
IP6.ROUTE[3]:                           dst = fe80::/64, nh = ::, mt = 100
You see that there is no GATEWAY and there is second address
IP4.ADDRESS[2]: 192.168.5.102/24
that I was using when was playing with Orange.Pi.
My questions are obviously how to solve this error but more precisely where is
that broken data file and who is putting it in charge. Why I say I hit the systemd wall, is
that I don't understand how systemd-resolver works even after reading man. All logic in
systemd-resolver to me is going in cirkular loop and I don't know where is beginning
and where is the end. :?

Sorry for my English, not my speaking language. I will appreciate any helping hand.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
72 but still kicking, but excuse my English
gm10

Re: I hit the systemd wall (probably)

Post by gm10 »

Your DNS setup has nothing to do with your messed up routing, and without information about your system and configuration there's not much to say. I'll assume you're using DHCP and messed that up somehow when adding the second IP. But since you're using a static IP and gateway might as well go without DHCP and statically configure those addresses. In Network Manager's connection settings.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

It's probably my English :oops: I know it's not a problem with DNS, I was just explaining how it's happens.
Problem is that something is deleting my GATEWAY as can be seen in second quote.
Why I was using DHCP when playing with Orange.Pi is because I didn't know initial address of OP.
I want to find where is that messed up file with old settings.

What information and configuration you want to know? I have very simple home network of two computers and
WIFI network for smartphones. DHCP is disabled and address are reserved on router

Thank you for jumping in :D
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

disable your pihole, does your system act like it's supposed to? i don't quite understand the use of Pi why do you use it?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

yossarian_yon wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm Why I was using DHCP when playing with Orange.Pi is because I didn't know initial address of OP.
So you set the Orange.Pi up as a DHCP server? Well, then you need to check the configuration there why it isn't doing that properly. Assuming you even want it to be the gateway.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

@trytip
trytip wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:23 pm disable your pihole, does your system act like it's supposed to? i don't quite understand the use of Pi why do you use it?
It doesn't mater what DNS I us. Always something delete my GATEWAY. I use Orange.Pi as
add-blocker, but it doesn't mater without OP is same thing.
Thanks to jump in :)
Last edited by yossarian_yon on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

gm10 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:44 pm
yossarian_yon wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm Why I was using DHCP when playing with Orange.Pi is because I didn't know initial address of OP.
So you set the Orange.Pi up as a DHCP server? Well, then you need to check the configuration there why it isn't doing that properly. Assuming you even want it to be the gateway.
No just for first time to connect to OP, because address of OP was not in my address range. I enabled DHCP on router, after that I disabled DHCP. Problem is Mint saved network config somewhere and every now and then delete my GATEWAY address configuration.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i use /etc/hosts for adblocker as fallback only, and mainly i use browser extensions for that like ublock. or even privoxy i have setup for that but it's no use if i have ublock which pretty much does the same thing. took a long time to understand privoxy but i learned on my own since every forum i tried everyone had different ideas.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

trytip wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:45 pm i use /etc/hosts for adblocker as fallback only, and mainly i use browser extensions for that like ublock. or even privoxy i have setup for that but it's no use if i have ublock which pretty much does the same thing. took a long time to understand privoxy but i learned on my own since every forum i tried everyone had different ideas.
I am not using hosts for blocking, but I'm familiar with it. I'm using "uBlock origin" (not shady uBlock), but
I always wont to find something new, maybe better. Privoxy is on my radar to. I find this
https://github.com/suntong/dbab
and think to research to.
Now back to my problem. Do you know how systemd-resolver work?
Do you know what is this? Path to where?
GENERAL.CON-PATH: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/14

I will wait to upgrade to 19.1 but if that doesn't resole my problem I'm redy for drakonian measures :evil:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/898605/ ... th-dnsmasq
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

no i'm sorry i would not know where to begin to troubleshoot your issue since i have not had any experience with servers and pi devices used as servers.

just curious as how you use the pi for adblocking and what do you think your level of privacy is achieved with it. is it something like this https://pi-hole.net/ or this https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-hole-raspberry-pi/
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

trytip wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 am no i'm sorry i would not know where to begin to troubleshoot your issue since i have not had any experience with servers and pi devices used as servers.
But it's not server or pi device problem, thats problem with mint 19 systemd-resolver or network manager.
I'm missing the GATEWAY and when there is no gateway I can't see OP so he can't resolve DNS duty.
On same computer I have dual boot with Mint 18.3 and everything is working, second
(win 10) computer have no trouble too.
just curious as how you use the pi for adblocking and what do you think your level of privacy is achieved with it. is it something like this https://pi-hole.net/ or this https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-hole-raspberry-pi/
Yes I'm using pi.hole, but still doesn't have definitive opinion.It's looking promising. It block ads on DNS level.
Very helpful for blocking MS intrusions :evil:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

go to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in mint 18.3 and compare it to mint 19 also try turn off powersave /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf make it say

[connection]
wifi.powersave = 2
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

copy and paste the code below into your terminal and then copy and paste results back here in the forum...lets just see what your dns cache is all about here...DAMIEN

sudo systemd-resolve --statistics
also do this one as well:
Launch your Linux terminal and copy and paste

ip addr show
This will display the current network interfaces enabled on the system. If you do not see "eth0" or "wlan0," the issue may NOT be a DNS error.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:25 pm copy and paste the code below into your terminal and then copy and paste results back here in the forum...lets just see what your dns cache is all about here...DAMIEN

sudo systemd-resolve --statistics
Not much to see, but everything is working.

DNSSEC supported by current servers: no

Transactions
Current Transactions: 0
  Total Transactions: 0

Cache
  Current Cache Size: 0
          Cache Hits: 0
        Cache Misses: 0

DNSSEC Verdicts
              Secure: 0
            Insecure: 0
               Bogus: 0
       Indeterminate: 0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i just edited my post before your reply...please post the second one i just added

your first reply shouldnt have been all zeros, they should have looked something like mine

Transactions
  Total Transactions: 217

Cache
  Current Cache Size: 31
          Cache Hits: 77
        Cache Misses: 164

DNSSEC Verdicts
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm i just edited my post before your reply...please post the second one i just added

your first reply shouldnt have been all zeros, they should have looked something like mine

This is mine

yoss@gray:~$ ip addr show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether d0:50:99:58:c4:fa brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.5.10/24 brd 192.168.5.255 scope global noprefixroute enp2s0
    inet6 fe80::ad74:e5ba:a0fd:c943/64 scope link noprefixroute 
But still zero in statistics.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

my internet works fine and i also get all zeroes

mint02@tara:~$ sudo systemd-resolve --statistics
[sudo] password for mint02:       

Transactions
  Total Transactions: 0

Cache
  Current Cache Size: 0
          Cache Hits: 0
        Cache Misses: 0

DNSSEC Verdicts
mint02@tara:~$
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

trytip wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:16 pm go to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in mint 18.3 and compare it to mint 19 also try turn off powersave /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf make it say

Seting are same in both files. This is desktop machine so no WIFI :D
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

in the results of your "ip address show" If you DO NOT SEE "eth0" or "wlan0," then the issue is probably NOT a DNS error.
yossarian_yon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yossarian_yon »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm in the results of your "ip address show" If you DO NOT SEE "eth0" or "wlan0," then the issue is probably NOT a DNS error.
Yes that I was talking all the time. My problem is that something delete my GATEWAY address.
When I flip the switch in network manager left and right internet is working till the time that
some process do it again. Is that systemd-resolver or Network manager I don't know.
Ma actual network hardware is enp2s0

Return to “Networking”