(SOLVED) I Possibly Have A Convert

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
phd21
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9516
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

That is odd, but you can try hitting the ESC key when Linux Mint installation is coming up and selecting the compatibility mode or use a wired keyboard and mouse for the installation. He should be fine after the installation using most wireless keyboards and or mice.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

redlined

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by redlined » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:20 pm

MrGrimm, if you can try inxi -Fxzd from his live session, it may help make some info obvious for how to best install. (assuming a plugged in keyboard allows typing as you mentioned needing to plug in wired mouse to get anywhere)

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 pm

redlined wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:20 pm
MrGrimm, if you can try inxi -Fxzd from his live session, it may help make some info obvious for how to best install. (assuming a plugged in keyboard allows typing as you mentioned needing to plug in wired mouse to get anywhere)
i'm assuming there is a virtual keyboard in mint or a least one i can install. i'll take a look tomorrow and post back wht we got.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:28 pm

phd21 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Hi MrGrimm,

That is odd, but you can try hitting the ESC key when Linux Mint installation is coming up and selecting the compatibility mode or use a wired keyboard and mouse for the installation. He should be fine after the installation using most wireless keyboards and or mice.

Hope this helps ...
you're talking just as the mint selection screen pops up, right? still doesn't help with shrinking the partition though.

User avatar
phd21
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9516
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

Linux Mint can easily install alongside an existing operating system like MS Windows and take care of any partitioning that needs to be done.

I still do not see why you cannot install Linux Mint to the other SSDrive when during the installation you can pick the drive from the list box unless the drive is not showing. Have you checked the bios on that computer to make sure there is nothing blocking installing a new operating system like antivirus, or something else? Why you are in the Bios, make sure any SATA options are set to AHCI. Can MS Windows see the other SSD drive?

You can always manage partitions (create, resize, delete, etc...) easily using the "GParted" partition manager on the Linux Mint live installation DVD or USB stick or create and use "GParted Live" on a USB Stick or DVD/CD disc. If you do any manual partitioning in preparation for installing Linux Mint I would use at least 30gb or more.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 pm

phd21 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:32 pm
Hi MrGrimm,

Linux Mint can easily install alongside an existing operating system like MS Windows and take care of any partitioning that needs to be done.

I still do not see why you cannot install Linux Mint to the other SSDrive when during the installation you can pick the drive from the list box unless the drive is not showing. Have you checked the bios on that computer to make sure there is nothing blocking installing a new operating system like antivirus, or something else? Why you are in the Bios, make sure any SATA options are set to AHCI. Can MS Windows see the other SSD drive?

You can always manage partitions (create, resize, delete, etc...) easily using the "GParted" partition manager on the Linux Mint live installation DVD or USB stick or create and use "GParted Live" on a USB Stick or DVD/CD disc. If you do any manual partitioning in preparation for installing Linux Mint I would use at least 30gb or more.

Hope this helps ...
actually i build my own systems, and i've been helping others with windows for years. i can damn near setup a bios in my sleep. as for any antivirus no cause all active monitoring is off with the exception of the firewall, only a weekly scan of c is set and items manually scanned as soon as they are downloaded. i have been over everything multiple times, and like i said above it does seem to boil down to something with his hardware.

redlined

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:25 pm

MrGrimm, these might be of some help:

[TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer

and easylinuxtips has moved! couple relevent pages there may also prove to be a good read:
Dual boot install seems impossible (tip1- Windows 7, 8.x or 10: the installer from Linux Mint doesn't recognize Windows at all)
6.1. Repair Grub for Windows 10 computers (EFI or UEFI)

Hope this helps!

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 pm

redlined wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:25 pm
MrGrimm, these might be of some help:

[TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer

and easylinuxtips has moved! couple relevent pages there may also prove to be a good read:
Dual boot install seems impossible (tip1- Windows 7, 8.x or 10: the installer from Linux Mint doesn't recognize Windows at all)
6.1. Repair Grub for Windows 10 computers (EFI or UEFI)

Hope this helps!
thanks i'll have a look in abit, though at this point it does seem it's a hardware issue with his system.

redlined

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by redlined » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:07 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 pm
thanks i'll have a look in abit, though at this point it does seem it's a hardware issue with his system.
I think every system with win10 on it is a hardware issue :lol:

maybe a newer kernel would help with that m2 ssd? or, go legacy bios :twisted: yes, only 4 primary partition limit, but meh, use 3 (win10 will demand the first one of them) and make an extended partition for the 4th then make as many logical partitions as needed. Or try install with win10 drive unplugged from system and see if m2 drive will take it then? but still looking at boot order switching from bios unless you can get grub back in the mix with sudo update-grub

(edit to fix update-grub (not grub-update as I typed it :oops:

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by MrGrimm » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:31 am

redlined wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:07 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 pm
thanks i'll have a look in abit, though at this point it does seem it's a hardware issue with his system.
I think every system with win10 on it is a hardware issue :lol:

maybe a newer kernel would help with that m2 ssd? or, go legacy bios :twisted: yes, only 4 primary partition limit, but meh, use 3 (win10 will demand the first one of them) and make an extended partition for the 4th then make as many logical partitions as needed. Or try install with win10 drive unplugged from system and see if m2 drive will take it then? but still looking at boot order switching from bios unless you can get grub back in the mix with sudo update-grub

(edit to fix update-grub (not grub-update as I typed it :oops:
like i said repeatedly i'm NOT changing it back to mbr.

redlined

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by redlined » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:45 am

oh I know, and I do get it- I repeat it because it is a headache (in my opinion). Anyways, those guides should be sufficient to get it done efi/uefi dualboot LM19+Win10.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: I Possibly Have A Convert

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am

o.k. update. i tested the two pcie m.2 cards he has in my system and on the one that is for two m.2's booting to the live environment is extremely sluggish once on it's deasktop, and the card that only takes one m.2 only makes the system slightly less sluggish once on the live environment's desktop that the dual make the system. i'm not that surprised, cause he is extremely hard on hardware. looks like his mobo and the daughter cards are damaged. he is just going to have to continue to deal with windows, or buy a new mobo.

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”