Linux Mint 19.1 “Tessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 19.1 “Tessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by clem »

MrGrimm

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 “Tessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by MrGrimm »

have to ask on a upgrade will we be offered the new features or will we have to go looking for them? thanks

on another note nemo's speed isn't the issue, the various view settings issues, missing rightclick context menu items, missing rightclick context menu item inside of folders, adding a means to save tabs, adding a means to backup bookmarks is what should of been addressed.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
bassplayer

Post by bassplayer »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am have to ask on a upgrade will we be offered the new features or will we have to go looking for them? thanks
From the release announcement:
Upgrade instructions:

Announcements will be made shortly with instructions on how to upgrade from Linux Mint 19.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 codenamed ‘Tessa’

Post by Oldbwl »

Can someone confirm how the revert to old style panel is done (after installation), I presumed that it was "just a click away" but I think that is only during initial installation.

Is it just a case of downloading and installing/adding the appropriate old style panel Applet then deleting the new style?
Last edited by Oldbwl on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

What's new - New panel layout. In case this does not answer your questions, create a support thread in the appropiate sub-forum, please.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

karlchen wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 am What's new - New panel layout. In case this does not answer your questions, create a support thread in the appropiate sub-forum, please.
you know now to think of it, on this a video would of made sense. showing the install of the new panel, all it's settings, and a revert to the old panel. also with the new panel do we keep our current settings on top of the added features. i ask cause i want to at least test it out, but i do not want to have to reconfigure. thanks
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Feel free to create and make available the requested video. Who knows, perhaps it will be the December hit on Youtube. :wink:
You can test out everything you want on the live system, without having to reconfigure your installed system once. Thought you were aware of it.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

karlchen wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 am Feel free to create and make available the requested video. Who knows, perhaps it will be the December hit on Youtube. :wink:
You can test out everything you want on the live system, without having to reconfigure your installed system once. Thought you were aware of it.
you know i'm aware of that, and asking if the new panel will port-over our current settings and applets is a fair question.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

karlchen wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 am What's new - New panel layout. In case this does not answer your questions, create a support thread in the appropiate sub-forum, please.
Will Do
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:18 pm you know i'm aware of that, and asking if the new panel will port-over our current settings and applets is a fair question.
I'd expect nothing to change if you simply upgrade via update manager once available other than the panel height (depending on whether you allow it to be theme controlled or not currently) and panel icon sizes, as both of those are fully user controlled in Cinnamon 4.0.x If you use the modern / traditional switch in the Welcome Screen that will reset your customisations. They are basically two different sets of default settings for panel height, active applets, ipanel and applet layout, panel icon sizes and theme. Make sure any third party themes, applets or extensions are updated and beware not every third party theme has been updated for Cinnamon 4 yet.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

smurphos wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:34 pm
MrGrimm wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:18 pm you know i'm aware of that, and asking if the new panel will port-over our current settings and applets is a fair question.
I'd expect nothing to change if you simply upgrade via update manager once available other than the panel height (depending on whether you allow it to be theme controlled or not currently) and panel icon sizes, as both of those are fully user controlled in Cinnamon 4.0.x If you use the modern / traditional switch in the Welcome Screen that will reset your customisations. They are basically two different sets of default settings for panel height, active applets, ipanel and applet layout, panel icon sizes and theme. Make sure any third party themes, applets or extensions are updated and beware not every third party theme has been updated for Cinnamon 4 yet.
you just gave me an idea. there is no reason i can't duplicate the current panel and then switch it and change it to my liking, right? or do all panels have to be one or the other not mixed? so i would have the old panel and the new one, and if i like the new layout i can simply remove the old one, and put the new where the old one was located.

currently running:

window borders - oomox-aglia
icons - masalla-black-dark
controls - oomox-aglia
mouse pointer - eleentary
desktop theme - oomox-aglia
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Yep they are not mutually exclusive at all...basically just two alternatives for users that don't tend to customise, or two different starting points for those that do.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

smurphos wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:38 pm Yep they are not mutually exclusive at all...basically just two alternatives for users that don't tend to customise, or two different starting points for those that do.
o.k. perfect, thanks
aussiepilot

Post by aussiepilot »

Hi Team & Forum Members

I downloaded the stable version of 19.1 64bit late in the afternoon on the 19/12 (Australian Time) before the official announcement was made.

Now I have a few questions...

1) Does the mint team upload the stable iso to the mirrors a few days before the offical announcement?

2) How can I confirm the iso I download hours before the official announcement is the correct stable one as I saved it as a different file name.

3) The checksum of the iso I downloaded matches the checksum listed on the download mirror so does that mean i have the correct one downloaded?

4) Does the checksum change for the beta and stable versions?

5) So if the checksum on the download mirror matches the iso I have downloaded does that mean I have the correct one downloaded?

6) If the download corrupted would the checksum be different?

7) Someone on another forum said iso files are updated regularly, is this correct as I only seen it for the release of 19.0 when a V2 iso was created.

Sorry for so many questions, just have slow internet and it would take me ages to re-downloaded so just want to make sure I have the latest stable version downloaded, I normally wait for the official announcement but had access to fast internet for the day.
rimvydukas

Post by rimvydukas »

When can we expect to get upgrade instructions? When will upgrade be available?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

aussiepilot wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:20 am 1) Does the mint team upload the stable iso to the mirrors a few days before the offical announcement?
2) How can I confirm the iso I download hours before the official announcement is the correct stable one as I saved it as a different file name.
3) The checksum of the iso I downloaded matches the checksum listed on the download mirror so does that mean i have the correct one downloaded?
4) Does the checksum change for the beta and stable versions?
5) So if the checksum on the download mirror matches the iso I have downloaded does that mean I have the correct one downloaded?
6) If the download corrupted would the checksum be different?
7) Someone on another forum said iso files are updated regularly, is this correct as I only seen it for the release of 19.0 when a V2 iso was created.
1) Yes - it takes 24 hours or so for the mirrors to update globally and they wait until it's available on all mirrors before announcing.
2) 3) 5) & 6) If it matches the checksum downloaded from https://linuxmint.com/verify.php you are good to go.
4) Yes
7) No - Unless there is there is an issue with the current ISO that require a fix they will be static for this release.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rimvydukas wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:41 am When can we expect to get upgrade instructions? When will upgrade be available?
It will get announced on the Mint Blog and in this sub-forum in due course. I'd be surprised it was more than a day or two. You'll get an update to the package mint-upgrade-info. Once installed the upgrade will be available via Update Manager. There may be some additional steps required or recommended other than applying the upgrade in the update manager. If so they will be outlined on the blog-post.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Great stuff! Cool and sensible improvements. Thanks, team! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Update went without a hitch using the update utility. Nice job, and congratulations to everyone involved with the new release. BZ.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

rbmorse wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 am Update went without a hitch using the update utility. Nice job, and congratulations to everyone involved with the new release. BZ.
DITTO

one thing i forgot to add to my last thread is that i was truly blown away by how fast the update was. from start to finish including the reboot EASILY 1/5th the time of just downloading a cumulative update for windows. if i add in the install and reboot time for an average cumulative update the 19.1 update was done in less than 1/8th the time. in my book simply fantastic.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”