"gnome-keyring-daemon not responding"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
triva

"gnome-keyring-daemon not responding"

Post by triva »

Hi all, glad to be a member. My problems is that after going from Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 to 18.2 which I upgraded using the Update Manager I started getting "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" at restart or shutdown. I couldn't find a solution anywhere aside of a reinstall. It seems to be an old problem that's back which was never resolved. I just uninstalled gnome-keyring and seahorse and no more problem. Do I really need them and will I have problems later?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding"

Post by rbsudo »

Hi triva, I fresh installed LM Cinnamon 18.2 this past weekend..... my first time ever using LM.
I only started seeing this issue during shutdown....never during a restart btw.... that surprised me.
I read this about Gnome keyring and decided I didn't want to run LM with that function being disabled.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Keyring
So I did the reinstall.
I did do some tweeks to LM after having read things like, "Twenty things you should do to LM after install," etc.
I thought that maybe one of those tweeks had upset something and created the problem for me.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.. 64-bit
Windows 11
triva

Post by triva »

Thank you for your response and info rbsudo. I am seriously considering reinstalling because I'm a little leery running without it. It's that I had Mint so nice and it's a dual boot with ArchLabs which is also nicely customized and running very well which I would not like to mess up too. But if so be it, practice makes perfect. I've learned so much from my mistakes that I'm always looking forward to making a few more.
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rbsudo »

That's the way I approached this also....regarding "practice makes perfect." I also have a dual boot on this pc with Windows 7.
I would suggest that you approach the re-install slowly, and if you have any questions, back out of the process and post them here on the forum.
Btw, my re-install of Mint has been working great so far. Good luck!
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.. 64-bit
Windows 11
Drumsal

Post by Drumsal »

Hello everyone. I'm experiencing the same issue of triva and, following the idea of rbsudo, tried to solve it with a fresh reinstall. Unfortunately, after few days the problem is here again, without making any strange settings' modification. Initially the problem appeared randomly, but in the last week it occurs anytime I stop the system. I could try with another fresh installation, but I'm pretty sure that the problem will appear again. I suppose a bug, but I have no idea on how to approach it. Tnx in advance for the attention.
tsaari88

Post by tsaari88 »

Hi all, I think I found a solution that has worked for me. I installed Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (64 bit, Cinnamon) onto a relative's older Inspiron 1525 laptop and received this error message when attempting to logout or shutdown, as noted by others. I found a couple of complaints about a missing .desktop file in /var/log/syslog when I typed:

Code: Select all

grep "gnome-keyring-daemon" /var/log/syslog
So then I created a gnome-keyring-daemon.desktop file inside ~/.config/autostart/

Here is what I have in that file:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name=Gnome Keyring Daemon
Comment=Load gnome keyring daemon
Upon reboot, the problem seems to have gone away. I also noticed in my testing that running the code from this Archlinux wiki seemed to prevent the error as well, until the next reboot (or maybe even log off/on, didn't test it)

gnome-keyring-daemon -r -d
Initializing an already started daemon with the -s flag may also work, but I never tested it. If this works then that gives more clues about what's really going wrong.

gnome-keyring-daemon -s -d
Hope this info helps others.
catplace

Post by catplace »

tsaari88 wrote:...So then I created a gnome-keyring-daemon.desktop file inside ~/.config/autostart/...
Even though I didn't see any errors in syslog, this solution seems to have worked for me. Thanks!

Now I need to find out why! :)
MikeLieberman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeLieberman »

I am not using autostart. But I am for the first time, on two machines upgraded to 18.2, getting this message. In on machines A desktop and a laptop, there are multiple accounts and login is manual. What's the deal? How do I fix this?
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

This problem raises two questions. What is starting gnome-keyring-deamon and what is keeping it running on shutdown? I dont have an answer, but I am looking.
Found this site.

https://denilson.sa.nom.br/blog/2015-05-14/gnome-keyring-on-lubuntu-15-04

I dont think this is the solution. May help you to dig into this problem. You could try:

pstree
On my computer, gnome-keyring-daemon comes from systemd. Wish I could be of more help. Warning: If you dont know - dont.

(EDIT)

prs-player@prsplayer-Mint-18 /etc/xdg/autostart $ dpkg -L gnome-keyring
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/dbus-1
/usr/share/dbus-1/services
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.keyring.service
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.secrets.service
/usr/share/GConf
/usr/share/GConf/gsettings
/usr/share/GConf/gsettings/org.gnome.crypto.cache.convert
/usr/share/upstart
/usr/share/upstart/sessions
/usr/share/upstart/sessions/gnome-keyring-ssh.conf
/usr/share/upstart/sessions/gnome-keyring.conf
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/README
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/copyright
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-keyring.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-keyring-daemon.1.gz
/usr/share/glib-2.0
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.crypto.cache.gschema.xml
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-3
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/ubiquity
/usr/lib/ubiquity/target-config
/usr/lib/ubiquity/target-config/50gkd-caps
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring/devel
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring/devel/gkm-gnome2-store-standalone.so
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring/devel/gkm-ssh-store-standalone.so
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring/devel/gkm-xdg-store-standalone.so
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring/devel/gkm-secret-store-standalone.so
/etc
/etc/xdg
/etc/xdg/autostart
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-secrets.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring
I seem to be missing this file: gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop Dont know if it is needed. From:

https://github.com/linuxmint/gnome-keyring/tree/master/daemon
Thats all I know.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman »

Forget my previous posts. The fix is to select auto login from the systems settings. Select your user name and power down your computer, Pull the plug out of the wall and count to thirty. Reboot, you may have to do this twice. Then you can un-select auto login, reboot again and this bug should be gone. It is for me. Just to note I was missing the desktop file like an earlier poster, so I created it. But that did not fix this bug. Good luck.
MikeS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeS »

Thanks for the tip. Re-installing gnome-keyring worked on two PCs,but this was the only way that worked on a third PC.
allanr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanr »

This issue started for me directly after upgrading from Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 in mid-December, after which every switch-off hung for 60s or longer. I only have the one logon account, and tried all the fixes suggested here, but only two helped:

1) After running

gnome-keyring-daemon -s -d
shut-down was ok, however the issue re-appeared at subsequent shut-downs.

2) The only successful (almost) solution for me was to obtain the "missing file" gnome-keyring-daemon.desktop from https://github.com/linuxmint/gnome-keyr ... ter/daemon as suggested by prsman. I say almost, because now 19 out of 20 shutdowns are ok, there's just the occasional 'gnome-keyring-daemon not responding' hang now. Although a big improvement, it would be good to get a permanent fix.

EDIT TO ADD: and place the gnome-keyring-daemon.desktop in folder /etc/xdg/autostart/
allanr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanr »

I've inadvertently found a reliable workaround (at least for me) for the "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" issue.
My wife wanted a simpler / more direct way to shut down her laptop and I found the Session Manager applet fitted the bill nicely.

Trying out the applet on my PC first, I realised I never saw the "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" error. In fact even after the normal Menu > Shut Down action displayed the error, canceling then using the Session Manager applet always gave a clean, quick, shut down.
Zhirrie

Post by Zhirrie »

I was having this issue as well with fresh installs of Linux Mint. I found the post below to be effective... I used the GUI - clicked on Administration > Login Window > Users > Turned on 'Allow manual login' and Typed my user name in Automatic login text box below. I then powered the machine down twice as the first did not make the error pop up go away.

I have done this on two different machines in the same day. It worked each time. After I was no longer getting the error pop-up I turned off the auto login and removed my user name from the text box. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Prsman
Re: "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" (SOLVED)
Post by Prsman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Forget my previous posts. The fix is to select auto login from the systems settings. Select your user name and power down your computer, Pull the plug out of the wall and count to thirty. Reboot, you may have to do this twice. Then you can un-select auto login, reboot again and this bug should be gone. It is for me. Just to note I was missing the desktop file like an earlier poster, so I created it. But that did not fix this bug. Good luck.
Quetzal

Post by Quetzal »

@allanr
I've inadvertently found a reliable workaround (at least for me) for the "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" issue.
My wife wanted a simpler / more direct way to shut down her laptop and I found the Session Manager applet fitted the bill nicely.

Trying out the applet on my PC first, I realised I never saw the "gnome-keyring-daemon not responding" error. In fact even after the normal Menu > Shut Down action displayed the error, canceling then using the Session Manager applet always gave a clean, quick, shut down.
This worked for me too. Thanks for that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”