[solved] Firefox - Deleting cookies when closing the program

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Firefox - Deleting cookies when closing the program

Post by mogette »

In the "privacy and security" section of the preference settings for Firefox, I selected "Keep cookies nad site data until Firefox is closed" (the other option is "until they expire"). But Firefox doesn't delete the cookies when I close the program, I see, they are all still there when I restart Firefox. Is this a bug in Linux Firefox? I want cookies to be deleted when I leave the program.
Happy New Year, by the way, to all readers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox - Deleting cookies when closing the program

Post by all41 »

In my situation i find FF does indeed delete cookies at shutdown when that option is selected,
not sure why your cookies are not deleted.
Are you allowing third-party cookies?
I also use a ff add-on called Cookie-AutoDelete
With this add-on youcan define how long a cookie is retained after you leave a website.

edit: Just to say that certain cookies may actually be desirable--you can define those
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kreemoweet »

If you have set Firefox to save your browsing session, i.e. told FF in the Preferences to start up with
"show my windows and tabs from last time", then FF will not delete the cookies/data from
those sites because they are part of your saved browsing session.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Interesting--can't find
But I'm dumb
Preferences to start up with
"show my windows and tabs from last time",
Where is this choice exactly?
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

mogette wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm In the "privacy and security" section of the preference settings for Firefox, I selected "Keep cookies nad site data until Firefox is closed" (the other option is "until they expire"). But Firefox doesn't delete the cookies when I close the program, I see, they are all still there when I restart Firefox.
Useful information is described here Make Firefox cleanse itself automatically upon quitting:(see link)
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... x.html#ID2
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogette »

kreemoweet wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:15 am If you have set Firefox to save your browsing session, i.e. told FF in the Preferences to start up with
"show my windows and tabs from last time", then FF will not delete the cookies/data from
those sites because they are part of your saved browsing session.
Thanks! It looks as if that was my problem. Silly of me not to have thought of it myself ...
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogette »

Gruppo Sportivo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:09 am
mogette wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm In the "privacy and security" section of the preference settings for Firefox, I selected "Keep cookies nad site data until Firefox is closed" (the other option is "until they expire"). But Firefox doesn't delete the cookies when I close the program, I see, they are all still there when I restart Firefox.
Useful information is described here Make Firefox cleanse itself automatically upon quitting:(see link)
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... x.html#ID2
This is a very useful link, all kinds of useful tips helpfully explained for the less informed user, thanks very much.
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogette »

all41 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 am Interesting--can't find
But I'm dumb
Preferences to start up with
"show my windows and tabs from last time",
Where is this choice exactly?
Cheers
Don't believe that you are dumb, with that level rating ;-)
I guess it used to be called "show my windows and tabs from last time", now it is found at the beginning of preferences#general and is called "Restore previous session". In Chromium, it is called "Continue where you left off".

Return to “Software & Applications”