Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

No Boot If Unused HDD Is Removed?

Post by soundchaser59 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 am

This machine has a 250GB HDD in SATA 0 and a 500GB HDD in SATA 1. I recently installed Mint Cinnamon 64 bit from USB. I believed I was installing it to the 250GB HDD. The 250GB drive shows up in GParted as partition dev/sda1, file system ext4, flag = "boot" and shows 80GB used and 150GB unused. The 500GB drive shows up in GParted as partition dev/sdb1, file system ext4, no flag, and shows 8GB used and 450GB unused.

I have a new 500GB SSD and I want to use Clonezilla to migrate my new 64 bit Cinnamon from the old 250GB HDD to the new 500GB SSD. I open up the machine, I remove the unused 500GB HDD and replace it with the 500GB SSD in SATA 1.

Power back on and the system will not boot. I get a "drive 1 not found" error. This is without any USB devices attached. Oddly the usb keyboard quits working as well, so I cannot go into BIOS and see what it reports. If I take the SSD out and put the old 500GB HDD back in the machine boots just fine, keyboard works fine, BIOS reports drive 1 (SATA 0) as the 250GB HDD.

The only other change I made was I added two DDR2 memory sticks, to take the total up to 4GB, the capacity of this old mobo. WIth both old HDD's in, the system boots fine and it sees and uses 4GB of memory. But take the unused 500GB HDD out and the system will not run.

Wut the.....? This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't the machine be able to boot up normally with only the 250GB boot drive installed? If I can't remove the old 500GB HDD, then how am I going to clone Cinnamon 64 to the new 500GB SSD?

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No Boot If Unused HDD Is Removed?

Post by HaveaMint » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:27 am

Where was this set to during the install?
6.png
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Niketathakare88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Niketathakare88 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 am

I would redo the Clean Reinstall correctly with the other HD unplugged.

EFI installs provide many complications including with repairs which is why we cannot use normal methods to repair your new install so it boots on its own, which are to unplug the other HD, mark Win7 Active then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

What I would suggest you do is remove EFI boot disk from the BIOS setup Boot Order, then clean and format the target HD (by itself) using Diskpart Clean Command followed by the command Convert MBR. Access DISKPART At PC Startup .
You can then install normally. After install plug in the other HD to access it's data.

If you want to install using EFI, follow these instructions: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Forums which are more trouble than their worth, and require difficult steps to repair Win7.

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:59 am

I don't remember for sure, but I think it would have been pointed to the 250gb HDD. After it was all done I specifically wiped and formatted the 500gb HDD, so I am sure that the machine was running Linux from the 250gb boot drive. Is that more or less what you need to know?

I notice my BIOS is set to automatically run in a RAID mode. I wonder if that could be binding these two HDD's together? I might try turning that off.

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 am

Niketathakare88 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 am
I would redo the Clean Reinstall correctly with the other HD unplugged.

EFI installs provide many complications including with repairs which is why we cannot use normal methods to repair your new install so it boots on its own, which are to unplug the other HD, mark Win7 Active then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

What I would suggest you do is remove EFI boot disk from the BIOS setup Boot Order, then clean and format the target HD (by itself) using Diskpart Clean Command followed by the command Convert MBR. Access DISKPART At PC Startup .
You can then install normally. After install plug in the other HD to access it's data.

If you want to install using EFI, follow these instructions: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Forums which are more trouble than their worth, and require difficult steps to repair Win7.
I think I did something similar to what you suggest. I did disconnect the second hdd, and I had to change a setting in bios to turn off the RAID stuff. But then it booted normally to just the one hdd after that. I reconnected the second hdd, then I was able to wipe it and reformat it. Now the machine recognizes two hdd's.

Return to “Hardware Support”