[Solved] Linux alternative to Speccy?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Whitehorse2018

[Solved] Linux alternative to Speccy?

Post by Whitehorse2018 »

Hi, I recently turned my old, nearly dead HP Pavilion x360 convertible laptop in to a purely Linux machine to play around with.

It’s now dead, and so I want to change the current HDD and upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 16GB. My question is, before I go and buy the new chips, how do I find out what the exact specs of my laptops’ motherboard and RAM type?

Someone at work mentioned Speccy, but is this available on Linux? Or is there a terminal command I can use?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrGrimm

Re: Linux alternative to Speccy?

Post by MrGrimm »

System Profiler and Benchmark / HardInfo

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardInfo
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You can get a very detailed hardware report by opening a terminal and enter or copy/paste:

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -html > hardware.html
That will make a file in your home directory named hardware.html
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you feel adventurous try i-nex

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
apt update
then download i-nex_7.6.0-0-bzr977-20161012.deb

it's a project on hold, the fonts are very small in the app and the dark theme variation on it conflicts with some colors but it does find some useful things.
Last edited by trytip on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i agree with MrGrimm...hardinfo is even more expansive than speccy...here is an easy way to install it if you want it...take note that it actually has 2 different names for the same program...dont know why...copy and paste code into your terminal and then just download it is all...no 3rd party, outside PPA involved...when you go to the menu to find hardinfo it will actually be called "System Profiler and Benchmark...DAMIEN

Install System Profiler and Benchmark

sudo apt install hardinfo
Whitehorse2018

Post by Whitehorse2018 »

Thanks everyone!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

all41 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 pm You can get a very detailed hardware report by opening a terminal and enter or copy/paste:

sudo lshw -html > hardware.html
That will make a file in your home directory named hardware.html
The advantage to this one is that the user does not have to install or even download anything - just open a terminal window and type/paste in the command. Or even just the basic

sudo lshw
as the rest just places the information into a file so the user doesn't have to read it directly from the terminal.

Disadvantages, lol... I just ran the command out of curiosity and it told me that my computer has six gigabytes of RAM (which I knew). But it also told me that I had two gigabytes in bank 0, none in bank 1, four gigabytes in bank 3. And that, out of my four available battery slots, only one of them contains a battery. The only problem with this information is that my laptop only has TWO RAM slots and ONE battery slot.

So, in terms of information, it gets an A. In terms of accurate information, though....

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

trytip wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 pm if you feel adventurous try i-nex

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
apt update
then download i-nex_7.6.0-0-bzr977-20161012.deb

it's a project on hold, the fonts are very small in the app and the dark theme variation on it conflicts with some colors but it does find some useful things.

curious why the terminal if you have the.deb file?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MrGrimm wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 am curious why the terminal if you have the.deb file?
crap i was doing some cleaning in my image hosting and deleted lot's of images that i used here for posting :lol: i probably used the terminal because i-nex installs two desktop icons one for the library and one for the main program. i also use the terminal for newly installed software just in case it gives some error or information
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

trytip wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:16 am
MrGrimm wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 am curious why the terminal if you have the.deb file?
crap i was doing some cleaning in my image hosting and deleted lot's of images that i used here for posting :lol: i probably used the terminal because i-nex installs two desktop icons one for the library and one for the main program. i also use the terminal for newly installed software just in case it gives some error or information
oh o.k. thanks for explaining, much appreciated. can you please have a look here? thanks

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=285505

Return to “Software & Applications”