[SOLVED] Problems logging into the forums

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

[SOLVED] Problems logging into the forums

Post by borg101 »

Hey guys. I've had to reset my password a handful of times the past few days and I'm still having issues logging in.

1. Visit forums.linuxmint.com and login with username and password.
- receive "incorrect password" error.
2. Retry login in case of user error.
- receive "incorrect password" error.
3. Request password reset.
4. Copy temporary password and click on activation link in email.
5. Login with temporary password.
6. Change password.
7. Logout and attempt to log back in.
8. Login doesn't work, met with "incorrect password" error, despite having just changed it.
9. Repeat steps 2 through 8.

I've done this about 5 or 6 times over the past week or so. The only way I can stay logged in and post is if I don't logout after the initial login with the temp password. Am I doing something wrong, or is this possibly a bug?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Problems logging into the forums

Post by trytip »

are you using any privacy extensions or block cookies by default? did you ever try to delete the complete history/cache/cookies in your browser ?
borg101

Post by borg101 »

trytip wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:41 am are you using any privacy extensions or block cookies by default? did you ever try to delete the complete history/cache/cookies in your browser ?
......ugh....good point. I didn't think of disabling my privacy extensions.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i have many privacy extension too but i don't block java scripts. some sites like imgur or antergos forums want you to disable browser referer control or edit it as target host (if you use that extension) of course this means that you must first need to be certain that the forum has the correct username and password and that it works with a clean browser profile
what browser are you using? you can rename the browser profile like .mozilla to .mozillaOLD try the password and if it's wrong then that means that the admin of mint forums needs to be contacted to reset and straighten tour username/password
borg101

Post by borg101 »

trytip wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 pm i have many privacy extension too but i don't block java scripts. some sites like imgur or antergos forums want you to disable browser referer control or edit it as target host (if you use that extension) of course this means that you must first need to be certain that the forum has the correct username and password and that it works with a clean browser profile
what browser are you using? you can rename the browser profile like .mozilla to .mozillaOLD try the password and if it's wrong then that means that the admin of mint forums needs to be contacted to reset and straighten tour username/password
I disabled my extensions. It worked. I re-enabled them and it works now. I feel like an idiot now. :lol:

Thanks for your help. 8)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Problems logging into the forums

Post by trytip »

just a follow up, if you delete all your cookies/history/cache and get the same error logging in it means that cookies were stored in browser when you opened it with on extensions. so if at some point you can't login after doing some cleanup, you will still have to configure that one extension disabling you to login.
i usually delete all my browsers history/cache/cookies every night or at least after one or 2 day's use.
borg101

Re: [SOLVED] Problems logging into the forums

Post by borg101 »

trytip wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 am just a follow up, if you delete all your cookies/history/cache and get the same error logging in it means that cookies were stored in browser when you opened it with on extensions. so if at some point you can't login after doing some cleanup, you will still have to configure that one extension disabling you to login.
i usually delete all my browsers history/cache/cookies every night or at least after one or 2 day's use.
Thanks for the follow-up. I might setup something to automatically do it.

Return to “Other topics”