If you want a divorce

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

If you want a divorce

Post by lsemmens »

This could be worth watching. No talking, so you can watch without sound if necessary, Takes about 10 minutes. Food for thought.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by jimallyn »

Powerful.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Thw wisest thing I've ever heard about divorce was actually quite simple. When people get married they have many notions of what marriage is. When they get divorced they learn very, very quickly what marriage really is. It's a contract.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Poohstyx

Post by Poohstyx »

At the end of the day:

A marriage is a lifetime contract to support your chosen partner in everything that doesn't harm either of you, or your family unit.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Poohstyx wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 am A marriage is a lifetime contract to support your chosen partner in everything that doesn't harm either of you, or your family unit.
I disagree with that sentiment. A marriage might be a contract in some cheap dictionary or in various courts of law, but first and foremost a marriage is an expression of more than mere agreement to a contract for those of us fortunate enough to be able to choose our partners; over time it is an expression of love and of a very deep and abiding friendship between two people that is not easily damaged. Just how deep and abiding it is will be shown in time should one party in fact harm the other in some way, and the other expresses unconditional love and unconditional forgiveness in response.

So, how many failed marriages have you had so far? :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Poohstyx

Post by Poohstyx »

First one, 23 years and counting.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

41 years 8)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am So, how many failed marriages have you had so far? :mrgreen:
Poohstyx wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 am First one, 23 years and counting.
Pepi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 am41 years 8)
Y'all consider those failed marriages? Sorry to hear it. Maybe you should consider a divorce. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Poohstyx

Post by Poohstyx »

All marriages fail eventually.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

30 years next month.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Quick then; you still have 20 days left to get the divorce...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You guys all realise.....You get less time for murder.....just saying.

Seriously coming up on 40 years this year.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Talking about marriage my boss once said to me "with my marriage you could make a movie like Romeo and Juliet ... but with a sad ending". :)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

No marriage should be "preserved" by default; man is not a monogamous species of animal. Between four and seven or so years, the time offspring was historically/naturally expected to be able to survive without both parents constantly present, nature makes this well-known: look at divorce stats. Marriages should automatically disband every 7 or so years unless explicitly renewed, not conversely automatically renewed unless explicitly disbanded. This very unnatural aspect of human culture causes a lot of grief.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Marriage, in the sense of the relationship, is not some random, generic thing that any two people can enter together successfully.

Equally obviously, not every single person is fit to be in a relationship.

All marriages do not, in fact, eventually fail. The problem is too many people get into them for the wrong reason(s). One should ideally only be in a relationship because they genuinely want to be in a relationship, and be a party to all those things which go into a relationship.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Portreve wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm The problem is too many people get into them for the wrong reason(s). One should ideally only be in a relationship because they genuinely want to be in a relationship, and be a party to all those things which go into a relationship.
Oh please, ditch the Disney collection. People get into relationships for the exactly right and only relevant reason: to breed. They only stay in relationships for the wrong reasons(s), i.e., anything other.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rene wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:17 pm People get into relationships for the exactly right and only relevant reason: to breed. They only stay in relationships for the wrong reasons(s), i.e., anything other.
What about those of us who aren't interested in breeding, but are interested in being in a relationship? Do we not exist? :shock:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Moem wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm What about those of us who aren't interested in breeding, but are interested in being in a relationship? Do we not exist? :shock:
Basically, no. Mind you, not that I hold it against any one person not being (always) aware of such after all together some 4 billion years of evolutionary training of course...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So I actually want children, I'm simply unaware of it? Brother, that is a pretty offensive thing to say. And it goes without saying that your views on relationships differ a lot from mine.

Return to “Open Chat”