Questions for Mint users who have investigated Manjaro

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Questions for Mint users who have investigated Manjaro

Post by Petermint »

"Mint and desktop components are updated continuously"
I did not looked at the underlying Debian component. The mint and desktop components created enough problems when first released.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

mediclaser wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 pm I thought LMDE is not a rolling distro. :?:
Petermint wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:31 pm "Mint and desktop components are updated continuously"
I did not looked at the underlying Debian component. The mint and desktop components created enough problems when first released.
Indeed Manjaro (Arch based) and LMDE (Debian) based are worlds apart in this respect.

Arch is pure rolling - all upstream releases are sent out to users as soon as the Arch maintainers can package them. Manjaro adds a couple of weeks delay and a bit more stability as packages go through their unstable and testing branches on their way to stable, but ultimately you can expect a couple of hundred separate package updates every couple of weeks on Manjaro.

Debian is stable - updates are few and far between. Mint team don't push new DE components as soon as available to LMDE. Cinnamon 4.0 has been tagged for nearly a month now but hasn't been pushed yet to LMDE. It's going through fairly rapid development ironing out the initial bugs that any major version jump brings and taking on feedback from Arch users. LMDE won't get 4.0.0 - it will be a 4.0.x as will 19.1 beta once released.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
TinaNamdev

Post by TinaNamdev »

I think that while Manjaro is at least faster
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

mediclaser wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 pm
Petermint wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm There are several reviews of Manjaro versus Ubuntu which recommend Manjaro. They mention problems with Ubuntu that I have not found with Linux Mint. :)

The main speed advantage of Manjaro appears to be from the XFCE gui and I prefer Cinnamon. Manjaro's replacement for PPAs has the same problems you can get with PPAs. Manjaro is a "rolling" distribution and should be compared to the Debian edition of Linux Mint, not the main edition.
I thought LMDE is not a rolling distro. :?:
LMDE is not an OS like Manjaro or LM Mint, its a desktop interface. But it is updated in bits from time to time just like cinnamon, xfce etc
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

Its not really an either or. That I find a strange assumption. Like many, I have multiple computers that I control with different OS's and UI. This one that I use most at home, I have dual LM and Manjaro but I use LM mostly on it as an entertainment center and general home use. At work I converted a windows machine to Manjaro for a data pipeline as I did need newer OS bits, newest python, newest encryption and a driver for a new graphics card (not coin mining...).
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
mattdaddyp

Post by mattdaddyp »

I ended up sticking with Linux Mint because I didn't like the way that Manjaro installed software. Also, I didn't feel like relearning the command line. To me, the only possible up-side to Manjaro is that the programs update a little sooner. In my mind, I'd rather stick with the stable, solid and beautiful environment of Linux Mint. Plus, you can't beat this community.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

oldgranola wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 pmLMDE is not an OS like Manjaro or LM Mint, its a desktop interface.
<SCRATCHES HEAD> Well then, if LMDE is not an OS... which OS does it run on? And while I'm asking, is a desktop interface similar to a desktop environment (Xfce, MATE, et cetera) or is it something else altogether?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I have just installed Manjaro in a new laptop. I had to do because no Debian/Ubuntu derivatives I've tried was capable of recognizing the touchpad. Only Manjaro. This is a nice distro (Xfce) and clearly improved from the early days, now is reasonably stable. And easy to manage as ever. :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”