Sounds works with Ubuntu 18.10 but not 18.04>Mint 19.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris2946

Sounds works with Ubuntu 18.10 but not 18.04>Mint 19.1

Post by chris2946 »

So I've been using Ubuntu 18.10 with my Azulle Access Plus "stick" PC. I could never get the sound to work in 18.04, but for some reason it started working in 18.10. I would like to install Mint and use if for a while, but the sound does not work. I'm not linux guru, but Mint is based off Ubuntu LTS,which is 18.04 I believe. I tried a lot of different things to get it to work in 18.04 and I assume the new Mint is going down the same path.

I have no clue why it works in one and not the other, so my question is...what can I do in Mint to apply those configurations that make it work in Ubuntu 18.10 for an OS that is based off of 18.04?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Sounds works with Ubuntu 18.10 but not 18.04>Mint 19.1

Post by MrEen »

Hi chris2946, and welcome to the forum.

Please paste back the results of running aplay -l and inxi -Fxz in the terminal. We should be able to figure out a way to get it to work on Mint, that will also be the same steps to get it to work on Ubuntu 18.04. The outputs of the above commands will help determine what steps to take.

When pasting large blocks of text, please enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sounds works with Ubuntu 18.10 but not 18.04>Mint 19.1

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd also take the Ubuntu 18.10 that works and do a couple of CLI things on it. First, since for some reason Ubuntu doiesn't include inxi (unless they started recently), do this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi
Then copy/paste to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

inxi -Fxz
Also, in both Ubuntu and Mint, do the same with this to get the ALSA version:

cat /proc/asound/version
That should be a good start, I suspect you want a newer kernel in Mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Sound”