[Solved] [Not]Timeshift cannot use mounts... By design.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
trendle
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] [Not]Timeshift cannot use mounts... By design.

Post by trendle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:19 pm

I want to control just how much space timeshift can suck up.
To this end I created a mounted drive from a file set at 20GB.
Since timeshift currently asks for 6.5G this is good for 3 snapshots. Do I really need more. After all, the only issues are broken updates.
Anything else will be covered up by my normal backups.

So please tell me why timeshift cannot use mount points?

Why does it have to use physical partitions???

Or do I just have to write my own timeshift now to get something usable.

[Solved Not]. => That's the way they want it to work. So either accept it, or find something else.... like Ubuntu's systemback perhaps.
Last edited by trendle on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperBoby
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Timeshift cannot use mounts.

Post by SuperBoby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm

trendle wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:19 pm
Can you tell us more on that ? How did you do it ?
LMDE 3 Cindy x64 on :
Lenovo Thinkpad T410, X220 Tablet, X61

Rtep
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rtep » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am

That's I'm using "Acronis Home Image". It is worth every penny!!! Do your research.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am

Is the partition you want to use for Timeshift's snapshots ext-formatted?

gm10
Level 16
Level 16

Post by gm10 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm

trendle wrote:
Why? Timeshift takes exactly as much space as it needs to create a snapshot of whatever you tell it to take a snapshot of. If it doesn't have enough space available to do that, a snapshot will simply fail. Your idea is thus flawed from the outset.
trendle wrote:
Since timeshift currently asks for 6.5G this is good for 3 snapshots. Do I really need more. After all, the only issues are broken updates.
You don't need more than a single good snapshot to restore your system. The rest is personal preference - those that tweak their system often may welcome the ability to jump back to several different points in time, but if all you're worried about is a broken update that cannot simply be downgraded again then keeping only a single snapshot would appear sufficient.

trendle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trendle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 pm

SuperBoby wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm
trendle wrote:
Can you tell us more on that ? How did you do it ?
I simply created an empty file of 20GB, then mounted it and formatted it as ext3.
I followed the instructions here.
http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/quota_tutorial.html

trendle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trendle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm
Why? Timeshift takes exactly as much space as it needs to create a snapshot of whatever you tell it to take a snapshot of. If it doesn't have enough space available to do that, a snapshot will simply fail. Your idea is thus flawed from the outset.
That's exactly the potential problem, timeshift is running to its own schedule. I want it to fail if it's going to take too much space, then I can check why.
Mint now demands the timeshift is running or it bugs you every time update is opened.
It's was a bit scary to let some tool loose on my filesystem with out knowing exactly what it's doing, timeshift once started from the update tool only allows one to choose a drive, not a folder. That does not seem necessary for what it's doing and to the first time user not a very friendly user interface, since it offers no explanation as to why it requires a drive partition rather than a folder.

gm10
Level 16
Level 16

Post by gm10 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm

trendle wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm
Mint now demands the timeshift is running or it bugs you every time update is opened.
You can disable that notification in Update Manager's Preferences.
trendle wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm
It's was a bit scary to let some tool loose on my filesystem with out knowing exactly what it's doing, timeshift once started from the update tool only allows one to choose a drive, not a folder. That does not seem necessary for what it's doing and to the first time user not a very friendly user interface, since it offers no explanation as to why it requires a drive partition rather than a folder.
The folder is hardcoded to /timeshift on the selected partition. I generally dislike hardcoding anything in software, but I suppose it does make it that much simpler for the average user since they won't have to bother with it (although I agree with you about the overall lack of user-friendliness in that tool) and restoring from a live USB the tool can easily find its snapshots.

You can leave feedback for the author here: https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

Return to “Software & Applications”