SOLVED... How can I install another operating system?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jorava

Post by jorava »

Hi guys, I have two partitions, the main one is Linux Mint 18.1 and in the other partition I have Windows 8.1. It always shows at the beginning the grub shows the two systems, now I want to format the Windows 8.1 partition and put Windows 7. How can I do this? How can I reset the grub? thanks for any idea.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How can I install another operating system?

Post by jimallyn »

It is generally easiest to have Windows installed first and then install Linux. However, I have heard several people say that if you just format a partition NTFS, the installer will find it. I have never tried that myself, though. (I assume that means an empty NTFS partition.)

Depending upon what you need or want Windows for, your best bet might be to install it in VirtualBox. Then it's always right there in Linux, and you don't have to reboot to get to it. VirtualBox works well for most stuff, but serious gamers will find it a joke and will definitely dual boot.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Backup first!!

Download a copy of boot-repair. When you install win7 it is likely to bork grub, hence when finished on a reboot you are likely just to get windows. Use boot-repair to fix it:

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

When you run a partition table of typ GPT and UEFI it doesn't matter which OS you installs. Else windows will destroy the bootmanager because it thinks it is the only OS that exists. It will destroy the MBR. No problem at all. Use supergrub to boot linux and let it install grub again.

When you use UEFI to boot you can install whatever you likes at least. Because UEFI comes with it own boot partition that allows to select which operatiuon system should boot now.
jorava

Post by jorava »

Thank you very much guys, thank you very much Andy, it helped me a lot to use boot-repair, I recovered the grub after formatting my windows partition again. Blessings to you.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: SOLVED... How can I install another operating system?

Post by AndyMH »

Been there done it (or very similar) :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”