(SOLVED) Software For Converting MP3's To AAC's

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED) Software For Converting MP3's To AAC's

Post by MrGrimm »

awhile back when i was still on windows i converted all my mp3's to aac's cause on average they bare 25% smaller with the same or better sound. now that i'm mint full with no windows at all i'd like suggestions for software to do my conversions in mint. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Software For Converting MP3's To AAC's

Post by Schultz »

There's an app called "Sound Converter" from the repos. Not sure if there is a way to make it convert to aac as I don't see that option available, though. There's also WinFF, but I've never used it.
MrGrimm

Re: Software For Converting MP3's To AAC's

Post by MrGrimm »

Schultz wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 pm There's an app called "Sound Converter" from the repos. Not sure if there is a way to make it convert to aac as I don't see that option available, though. There's also WinFF, but I've never used it.
ill checkout sound converter as winff is for video only. thanks

EDIT:

just read the info in synaptic and doesn't sound like it will do it.

LOL EDIT AGAIN:

looks like synaptic dowsn't have all the info, cause on sound converters site it says it will do what i want.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (SOLVED) Software For Converting MP3's To AAC's

Post by Schultz »

Might be as simple as adding some codecs?
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Schultz wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm Might be as simple as adding some codecs?
yea i though about that after making that post. sound converter doesn't handle aac's but sound Konverter does, and does a great and fast job of it.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

FYI, WinFF is not just for videos. It uses ffmpeg, therefore you can use it for virtually any media format including aac. You just need to edit the command and save the profile. I use WinFF all the time for many types of media format conversions, it's very fast and great quality.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

racer-x wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:51 pm FYI, WinFF is not just for videos. It uses ffmpeg, therefore you can use it for virtually any media format including aac. You just need to edit the command and save the profile. I use WinFF all the time for many types of media format conversions, it's very fast and great quality.
i'm happy with sound konverter.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

+1 for using superb "SoundKonverter" for converting music and audio files from one audio format to another audio format and it can also rip CD discs and extract audio tracks from videos as well. Recommend searching for soundkonverter in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and right-clicking it and installing all the recommended and suggested packages. Also recommend when ripping CD's to rip into a lossless format like ".flac" which can then be converted using soundKonverter and other apps into another format whenever anyone wants for whatever reason like .mp3 for a portable music devices, etc...

Another excellent music and audio application that can convert into various audio file formats is "Fre:ac" and can rip CD discs. This is not in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), but it might now be in the flatpak option of the software manager.

fre:ac - free audio converter
https://www.freac.org/

fre:ac—Linux Apps on Flathub
https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.freac.freac
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

know thisw has been marked Solved but I have to add a couple of points. Frst, SoundKonverter is not better than soundconverter.

Second, you simply cannot re encode from one lossy format to another with no loss in quality. WHoever told you that had no idea what he or she was talking about.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am know thisw has been marked Solved but I have to add a couple of points. Frst, SoundKonverter is not better than soundconverter.

Second, you simply cannot re encode from one lossy format to another with no loss in quality. WHoever told you that had no idea what he or she was talking about.
dude converting from mp3 to aac as long as you use the equivalent bit rate the sound quality IS the same. i have been doingit this way for WAY TOO many years and know this for a fact from experience. second while you may prefer sound converter i personally prefer sound konverter, and for my use konverter is better. like with tons of programs that will do the something peeps do have their personal preferences. the purpose of the thread was to find out what is out there and what would work for my needs, you know my "personal preference".

Return to “Software & Applications”