Hi from Australia.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hi_t_moonweed

Hi from Australia.

Post by hi_t_moonweed »

Hi all, just introducing myself. I am sure I will get to know a lot of you in the Linux community and hopefully meet new friends.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Hi from Australia.

Post by WharfRat »

Hello hi_t_moonweed Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
hi_t_moonweed

Post by hi_t_moonweed »

Thanks Wharf Rat. I have been a fan of Linux for years ever since a colleague put me on to it in the late 90's. I have always disliked Windows and wasn't a great fan of Macintosh either so I dabbled with various flavours and incarnations of the OS during this time but due to work commitments I could never seriously examine the system, with Mandrake being my last effort. Just recently I discovered Ubuntu and was impressed with the advancement made in Linux. My son told me about Mint so I gave it a shot and here I am.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi hi_t_moonweed,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
hi_t_moonweed

Post by hi_t_moonweed »

Thanks phd21, I will certainly keep in contact from time to time.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, hi_t_moonweed!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi, Moonweed
Are you cooking like the rest of us? What part of this Wide Brown Land do you call home?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

... and a big Cooee to you, hi_t_moonweed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
hi_t_moonweed

Post by hi_t_moonweed »

I am from Orange in NSW and yes we are "cooking" in this part of the country which is normally relatively cool.
hi_t_moonweed

Post by hi_t_moonweed »

At the moment I am running 18.3 "Sylvia". I was scoping out 19 and 19.1 versions but being conservative I thought that if it isn't broken, don"t bother fixing it.
shmickcomputer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shmickcomputer »

Hi forum - I'm also from Australia (so I fit nicely into this topic, hate to start a new one.)

New to here, but only as a member (been reading the forum - usually when I have a problem - for some years.)

Presently running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon on a ThinkPad T430. This is dual booting with Windows 10, but of course I prefer to "spend time" in the Mint side of things. :mrgreen: I was also running Ubuntu Studio (18.10) on my other laptop (ThinkPad Yoga 260), however I realised (again) I prefer Mint, and also the laptop with a larger - though inferior - screen. Btw. I'm a ThinkPad fanatic. 8) For fun, I am currently refurbishing a ThinkPad R61 - still working like a charm, has only minor, cosmetic issues. Older (32 bit, of course) Mint versions run on as smoothly as a Swiss watch.

I'm in beautiful Melbourne and I run my computer support "micro business". Used to be in applied science (wine/agriculture) in my past life. Although I've studied a lot of science, I was always into computers: started with a borrowed ZX Spectrum in the 1980s, then I've had Amstrad/Schneider CPC6128, then a second-hand PC XT, after that a 386sx clone, then 486, then Pentium MMX... the first laptop I've had was (second-hand) Compaq Contura Aero. I also had, and loved, the good old Psion Series 5mx (still working, though the screen doesn't - these models suffered from a bad display cable)... and so, on and on, onto ThinkPads... :D

Well, enough for the first post. Got to get me an avatar or something now...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

G'day there, shmickcomputer ..

you've indeed found the Aussie Thread
:D

- - yeah - there is an small-ish group of Minter's that are found around various parts of this Continent ..
8)
Do Take the Time to Read the LinuxMint Users Guide that came with the installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello and welcome to LInux Mint Forums,
Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi shmickcomputer, you wouldn't be a Collingwood supporter? :D As for me, I rarely follow the game.

For those outside of Australia, Collingwood is an Australian Rules football team. It seems that everyone from Melbourne supports them (not that that is true, though.)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Introduce Yourself”