Issue with the weather app?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Issue with the weather app?

Post by Executioner »

The weather applet no longer updates. Just says, "loading". I'm using Mint 18.3.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Issue with the weather app?

Post by ronsmeyer »

Apparently YAHOO is no longer providing weather data (to anyone) so the app has nothing to load.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

If you mean the weather desklet, weather.com is still working for me. You'll have to find the location code for your area at https://weather.codes/
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
redlined

Post by redlined »

kevin987 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:26 pm If you mean the weather desklet, weather.com is still working for me. You'll have to find the location code for your area at https://weather.codes/
yah, it's the weather applet (not desklet) and the applet is sorely missed :cry: because Yahoo has yanked the free weather api needed by the applet so it is broken applet until author figures something besides yahoo to feed it the data.

OP, I installed Meteo, which is also a systray app, uses OpenWeatherMap API, but does have a disappointing hover show of one day and opening app for more days- but some really cool map views, local to global. Not sure if there are ways to show more data on hover over, still messing with it.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

yah, it's the weather applet (not desklet) and the applet is sorely missed :cry: because Yahoo has yanked the free weather api needed by the applet so it is broken applet until author figures something besides yahoo to feed it the data.

OP, I installed Meteo, which is also a systray app, uses OpenWeatherMap API, but does have a disappointing hover show of one day and opening app for more days- but some really cool map views, local to global. Not sure if there are ways to show more data on hover over, still messing with it.
OK thanks for that option. How do I install it (not obvious to a newbie like me).
Last edited by Executioner on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

https://gitlab.com/bitseater/meteo
For Ubuntu and derivates:
You can add my ppa at Launchpad.net, only for bionic releases:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitseater/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install com.gitlab.bitseater.meteo
For LinuxMint users, you must to activate appindicator support:
Configuration -> Preferences -> General -> Activate indicator support (Cinnamon restart required)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

redlined wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 pm https://gitlab.com/bitseater/meteo
For Ubuntu and derivates:
You can add my ppa at Launchpad.net, only for bionic releases:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitseater/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install com.gitlab.bitseater.meteo
For LinuxMint users, you must to activate appindicator support:
Configuration -> Preferences -> General -> Activate indicator support (Cinnamon restart required)
Meteo Crash at searching location on Linux Mint 19.1 https://gitlab.com/bitseater/meteo/issues/112 :D i was just about to test it. lot's of issues with the new cinnamon that we weren't aware of. maybe the ppa version works but the gitlab is a crash?

EDIT: the PPA works fine on my mint19.1 cinnamon withe latest updates com.gitlab.bitseater.meteo_0.9.0-230~ubuntu18.04.1_amd64.deb just click to download if you don't want to add ppa
tray icon doesn't look to good but the map and radar is quite niceand works about the same as my-weather-indicator.
Last edited by trytip on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

trytip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:16 pm EDIT: the PPA works fine on my mint19.1 cinnamon withe latest updates com.gitlab.bitseater.meteo_0.9.0-230~ubuntu18.04.1_amd64.deb just click to download if you don't want to add ppa
yes, I installed the PPA version that day yahoo pulled the api ruining the spices applet and I saw it mentioned in bug report there and in thread here.

Works cool enough at rest in systray, hover info def needs some improvement(s) (imo) but the click to open fully is good enough and the map tab is coolAF, so I'm happy enough (usually stick head out the door once every few hours anyways, so do have other weather info sources available :mrgreen:
wheatpenny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wheatpenny »

There is an app that I use called "My weather indicator" that works well.

To get it, enter the following terminal commands"

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator

**This post is made from 100% recycled electrons**
redlined

Post by redlined »

wheatpenny wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 pm There is an app that I use called "My weather indicator" that works well.

To get it, enter the following terminal commands"

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator
I was going to add that PPA recently! well, opened tab then forgotten, couldn't recall what I was wanting from it though, lol
thanks for the reminder, gonna check that app out (and see if I can figure what else I was looking at installing :mrgreen:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

for mint19 whoever wants my-weather-indicator_0.9.1-0extras18.04.1_all.deb if you don't want to install the ppa

cinnamon/xfce mint 19.1 is not showing temperature in system tray only the icon is visible with my-weather-indicator.
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

trytip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm for mint19 whoever wants my-weather-indicator_0.9.1-0extras18.04.1_all.deb if you don't want to install the ppa

cinnamon/xfce mint 19.1 is not showing temperature in system tray only the icon is visible with my-weather-indicator.
This is a very nice application. Thank you for the info.

?? The system tray in the photo shows the temperature is 20. ??
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ronsmeyer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 pm ?? The system tray in the photo shows the temperature is 20. ??
that's the way it's supposed to show but that's not my desktop, it's just a picture off the internet. do you see a temperature value, or just a weather icon?
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

So I hope this screenshot shows. But yes, I see the temperature just fine.

trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ronsmeyer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 am So I hope this screenshot shows. But yes, I see the temperature just fine.
i guess you're in luck. haven't used this weather app since ubuntu 12.04 but in my mint 19.1 cinnamon and xfce i don't see the temperature only the icon. what version of mint are you on?
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

trytip wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 am
ronsmeyer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 am So I hope this screenshot shows. But yes, I see the temperature just fine.
i guess you're in luck. haven't used this weather app since ubuntu 12.04 but in my mint 19.1 cinnamon and xfce i don't see the temperature only the icon. what version of mint are you on?
Mint 19.1; Most current versions of OS and cinnamon.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

thanks guys i can live with metro for now.
wheatpenny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wheatpenny »

@ trytip. Thanks for the .deb version. I've saved it to my backup flash drive. Much appreciated.
**This post is made from 100% recycled electrons**
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

Update from the applet author on GitHub:
mockturtle wrote:I won't have time to fix this in the foreseeable future. I'd be happy to see it adopted by the Mint team, or whoever is interested in maintenance.

I'm using the bbcwx@oak-wood.co.uk desklet (with OpenWeatherMap) as an alternative.

Return to “Beginner Questions”