Can't install kubuntu-desktop on Mint 19.1 XFCE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RusGuy

Can't install kubuntu-desktop on Mint 19.1 XFCE

Post by RusGuy »

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ apt install kubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kubuntu-desktop : Depends: software-properties-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
:shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can't install kubuntu-desktop on Mint 19.1 XFCE

Post by catweazel »

RusGuy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 pm :shock:
Really, if you want a kde desktop, it's best to install a kde distro.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

whilst you can actually install the KDE from Package Manager aka synaptic,,
- search for 'mint-meta-kde' and install that package

but as catweazel noted - you do risk, breaking your entire system,
:!:
NB: I've got both Cinnamon & Mate installed on this Laptop - but, YMMV does apply here.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RusGuy

Post by RusGuy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 am
I know that Mint dropped KDE (that they not doing themes for KDE).
But before 19.1, I could install it at least and set up by myself.
And now - what sense of these package in repository if I can't even install it? -__-
But i like mint update program, but now, will have to switch to Neon...
darknetmatrix wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 am I should go for this version: https://linuxtracker.org/?page=torrent- ... af4e137bd6
Thanks, but no, this no official and why so fat? 3.12 GB :shock:
Pierre wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:11 am whilst you can actually install the KDE from Package Manager aka synaptic,,
- search for 'mint-meta-kde' and install that package

but as catweazel noted - you do risk, breaking your entire system,
:!:
NB: I've got both Cinnamon & Mate installed on this Laptop - but, YMMV does apply here.
No can't. Package with this name not exist :(
Selection_2019.01.18_15.55.50.png
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Big kudos and a large thank you to the member who built the 19.1 KDE version. I just installed and configured it and it is absolutely terrific! Every bit as good as Kubuntu, and has that Minty goodness.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 am
He's right, creating a FrankenKDE in Mint is never going to run as well.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

installing a second desktop through any software / package manager is asking for trouble. i'm normally a huge fan of avoiding terminal if i can, but where desktops are concerned it's terminal for me. i've tested kde two ways nonterminal and both were missing a lot. no point having the shell if you're not going to get all the base software that comes with it. my personal choice for installing kde. with it it installs and after install and a reboot works great. personally i installed to have access to some of the kde programs in cinnamon without having to go through the individual installs. even with the time it took to install kde it's still faster than installing all the individual programs.

https://linuxhint.com/install_kde_linux_mint_19/

one added note. personally i'd do this on a fresh install. meaning wipe the drive, install mint 19.1, personally cinnamon(but whichever of the 32 you want), then you finally land on the desktop install kde.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

darknetmatrix wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 am I should go for this version: https://linuxtracker.org/?page=torrent- ... af4e137bd6
Thanks, but no, this no official and why so fat? 3.12 GB :shock:

also - - be careful, as this site has an crypto-currency miner attached to that link.

for my self - I've still got KDE Neon 5.x running on one of my machines.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tdockery97 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:05 am Big kudos and a large thank you to the member who built the 19.1 KDE version. I just installed and configured it and it is absolutely terrific! Every bit as good as Kubuntu, and has that Minty goodness.
Personally I think you're mad installing a download from a completely unknown source.

Edit: Good grief...

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Well, they're all unknown until you use them :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
MrPollard

Post by MrPollard »

This is pretty complete, only thing as of 06/19 the software-properties-kde package depends on an outdated python software-properties package.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

MrPollard wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:13 pm
This is pretty complete, only thing as of 06/19 the software-properties-kde package depends on an outdated python software-properties package.
then post the new ones.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

After moving from Cinnamon to XFCE I decided I wanted at least one 'showy' Linux OS on one of my computers.

I'm now running Kubuntu 18.04 on my Dell Optiplex and my word it is nice. No offence to Cinnamon users but, aesthetically at least, and regardless of amount of tweaking, Kubuntu/KDE really does make Mint's flagship look incredibly dated.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

deanr72 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:55 pm After moving from Cinnamon to XFCE I decided I wanted at least one 'showy' Linux OS on one of my computers.

I'm now running Kubuntu 18.04 on my Dell Optiplex and my word it is nice. No offence to Cinnamon users but, aesthetically at least, and regardless of amount of tweaking, Kubuntu/KDE really does make Mint's flagship look incredibly dated.
you are 1,000,000%% correct, but lets not forget the most important thing about mint cinnamon and that is it's shear ease of use right out of the box. in my book for those new to linux or who have only dabbled over the years like myself who are looking to finally ditch windows mint cinnamon is the distro to start with. shortly after installing mint i added the plasma desktop cause i've always been partial to it. couple of months after that i installed kde neon and completely replaced mint. only cause i could not justify having two desktops when i was always in plasma. since then i have been slowly building up kubuntu 19.04 myself. kubuntu is for those that want to keep thing up to date without giving up the plasma desktop.
rmsci

Post by rmsci »

The problem you are having is due software-properties-kde version (0,96.x) being less what is required to not conflict with mintsources (version 1.8.x) in Linux Mint 19.x.

The way to resolve this properly is to install software-properties-kde (1.8.0 or greater). This can be obtained from UbuntUpdates.org: Download 1.8.0 package for Tara here (Tessa version 1.8.4 also available): https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/m ... erties-kde

This repository for Linux Mint has some extra packages to make up for things that are missing/broken/conflicting.

The 1.8.x version contains almost nothing and depends only on mintsources being installed. Thereby eliminating the conflict for Mint and allowing kubuntu-desktop and other software to install correctly.

I have fixed a system that had this exact problem, where I forced the old 0.96.x version in only to have an issue with mintupdate constantly wanting to install mintsources 1.8.8 (in Tina) and remove kubuntu-desktop! Installing software-properties-kde 1.8.0 with dpkg gave no errors, then trying mintupdate again it installed mintsources without conflict or asking to remove kubuntu-desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”