Problems installing Mint 7 "Gloria" SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Deckard

Problems installing Mint 7 "Gloria" SOLVED

Post by Deckard »

Hello Team,

I am a Mint 6 "Felicia" user. I am happy because it works very fine, but I wanted to try Mint 7 "Gloria" CD only for testing purposes. It was not possible, because when trying to start a live session, it keeps hanged :( when a message (I think it's "Starting...", or something like that, but I don't remember exactly) was permanently showed at screen and nothing more happens for a very long while.

Felicia works perfectly in my old Pentium VI-M laptop with 768MB DDR RAM and with a dedicated 16MB RAM Nvidia graphics card, but I'm afraid in the future Mint distros are no longer supporting my computer's hardware :( .

Since I'm a newbie, I do not know how to extend software support for my computer's hardware on my own, and because of this reason, I'm asking for it, if possible, for the next release of Mint (which I think it would be a LTS version).
:?: Please, can you help me?

I tried Gloria in my desktop computer and I think you are making as awesome work :) . Thanks for offering us this amazing software. And sorry for my English.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Problems installing Mint 7 "Gloria"

Post by Carl »

when the LiveCD first starts and it says starting LiveCD now... or something with the timer? press enter an choose the compatibility option and see if that works :wink:
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

Hello Carl,

Thanks for your quick answer. If a choose in the Mint 7 "Gloria" CD menu the option "Start Mint" I get this:

Loading /casper/vmlinuz ................................................................................................................................................

Loading /casper/initrd.gz ................................................................................................................................................

Ready.
_ :arrow: This "_" is blinking all the time.

And here the system keeps this message permanently at screen and do not do anything else :( .

If I choose the option "Start Linux Mint (compatibility mode)", then I get a lot of lines with messages with the work in progress. The last four are something like these:

[ 1.054487] pci 0000:001e.0: PCI bridge, secondary bus 0000:02
[ 1.054558] pci 0000:00:1e.0: IO window: 0x3000-0x3fff
[ 1.054632] pci 0000:00:1e.0: MEM window: 0xe0000000-0xe00fffff
[ 1.054705] pci 0000:00:1e.0: PREFETCH window: 0x00000040000000-0x000000047ffffff
_ :arrow: This "_" is also blinking all the time.

And then the computer's screen keeps here and does nothing more, no matter how many time I am waiting for :? .

All this gibberish is something understanding for you?
Thanks you again.
kei84

Post by kei84 »

Try burning another CD. It might a problem in your CD.
terdon

Post by terdon »

Also try Alt+F8 or Alt+F7 when you are at the blank screen. It may be that your system is up but for some reason you have not been taken to the X server automatically.

If that doesn't work try say Alt+F4, if that takes you to a command prompt, post back here and we'll figure something out.
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

Hello to everybody and thanks for the help.

To kei84, the CD runs live session perfectly in my desktop computer and in another laptop, but not in mine. It does not seem a burning problem :wink: .

To terdon, sorry, but my computer is not responding on pressing Alt+F8, Alt+F7 or Alt+F4 :( .

I am very grateful to you.
Can I try anything else, please?
terdon

Post by terdon »

Strange... something similar happened to me with an ubuntu version a while ago. The installation was working but I didn't see anything... Is the CD or the hard drive working or does the compute stay idle? In my case I could swhitch to the right screen by a combination of ALt and one of the F keys OR Ctrl+Alt+F keys

Another possibility is that it is an ACPI problem. Try rebooting and when the mint CD shows you GRUB (the green screen with the installation options) type

Code: Select all

acpi=off
then hit enter. That may let you install.
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

Wow.

Yes, Terdon, you were right, it was an acpi problem :( . Disabling it as you explained now I can test the Felicia Mint distro :) . Thanks you very much, and thanks too to everybody who tried to help me.

I am glad to see that supporting Mint there is a powerful community :wink: .

My problem then, is solved. :D
terdon

Post by terdon »

That's great, I hope we can convince you to stay!!

Can you please edit the title of your thread and add the word "solved"?

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”