[Solved]Unable to Install any ppa and Upadte manager also has some issues regarding keys of ppas

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rushilotti
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Unable to Install any ppa and Upadte manager also has some issues regarding keys of ppas

Post by rushilotti » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:15 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/qN5YxM1
I cannot able to install any ppas. I am getting some error.
You can find the error above.
I also found a work around
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... public-key
but every time I have do that.
The Update manager also is not able to download some keys.
I am getting this error in 19.1 only and not 19.
Should I downgrade again ?
Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by rushilotti on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Unable to Install any ppa and Upadte manager also has some issues regarding keys of ppas

Post by gm10 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Your workaround doesn't use the correct keyring. Can you verify please that this doesn't work for you:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com FINGERPRINT
but this does:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 FINGERPRINT
How about this one?

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 FINGERPRINT
Obviously replace FINGERPRINT in the command with the actual key id/fingerprint you want to retrieve. You can use one that already exists on your system, makes no difference.

rushilotti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to Install any ppa and Upadte manager also has some issues regarding keys of ppas

Post by rushilotti » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:23 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/K8Kpx2y

Hi I ran the commands you posted and it worked when 80 or 443 was there in the commandline
So how do i default enable the entire system ti use those 80 or 443 port while downloading ppas?
I dont know what I am talking but I am new to this and I dont knowany network knowledge.
Pls help.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Excellent, thank for your help confirming this, I'll change the default to the last variant then, I already submitted a patch for that.
rushilotti wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:23 pm
So how do i default enable the entire system ti use those 80 or 443 port while downloading ppas?
I dont know what I am talking but I am new to this and I dont knowany network knowledge.
Pls help.
Sure, no problem. To fix it I'll suggest something that you should be very careful about doing. I'll tell you to download a patched version of Mint's Software Sources tool, namely this patch right here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintsources/pull/141 (this will give you a whole range of fixes surrounding adding PPAs actually).

As you can see on the linked page I'm a contributor to that software package and if you look around you'll see I have a bunch of other patches to it waiting to get committed, so that should give me some legitimacy. I'm going into detail on this because in general you should be very wary if some random person on the Internet tells you to download and install their software. Not everybody has the best intentions (or knows what they are doing).

If you feel I'm legit, run this command to download the patched version to your system:

edit: (removed, correct one below)

That should then fix the issue for you (let me know).
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rushilotti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rushilotti » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 am

https://imgur.com/a/86BVYos

Hi I did what you said but it didnot fixed the problem and in the aboveimage you can see I made cooments in the middle about the issue and I think it is with my university internet 19.1 has problem.Both 18.04 lts and 19 has no problems and they downloaded ppa very normally.I dont know why 19.1 has issue with my isue with my university internet.So any idea what to do?Also many times the update manager also have some errors while updating on 19.1 with my university connection beacuse of this port issue only i guess.
So any idea what i Should do?Should I downgrade to 19 again?I liked 19.1 :( except this error

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 am

Oh wow, I'm terribly sorry, I don't know how it happened but I had given you the wrong link. I must have clicked on the wrong revision on github. :oops:

This one here is definitely the correct one, I double checked it this time, promise:

sudo curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxmint/mintsources/07eda79df60c7285baf4700f984b06c327b45740/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py -o /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py
PS: I've been wanting to ask, why the screenshots? Just copy & pasting the terminal contents would be easier both for you and me. :)
rushilotti wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 am
Also many times the update manager also have some errors while updating on 19.1 with my university connection beacuse of this port issue only i guess.
Update Manager doesn't retrieve any keys, so whatever is happening there is unrelated and also won't be addressed by my patch above. Probably best to make a new thread about that and post whatever error messages you're getting.

rushilotti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rushilotti » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 am

Thank you very much The second link worked
DO i have to do this everytime I install a ppa ? :D :D

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:23 am

rushilotti wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 am
Thank you very much The second link worked
DO i have to do this everytime I install a ppa ? :D :D
You are welcome. And no, that was a one-time thing, you've basically received a software upgrade ahead of time. This will remain in place until the mintsources package receives its next official upgrade, but that should then include the same patch, anyway.

rushilotti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rushilotti » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 am

Thank you very much.My first Linux problem solved yeey :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am

rushilotti wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 am
My first Linux problem solved yeey :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's great! Please mark the topic as solved by editing the first post and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”