Newblood checking in :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Newblood checking in :)

Post by ravenmad »

Hi all,
jumped in feet first last weekend after I heard MS were discontinuing support for Win7. Have been interested in Linux for years and tried it way back when Mandrake, RedHat, and Suse were the main distros but I found it too hard back then. Installed Mint 19.1 on the weekend and it's been so easy so far. Managed to get almost everything set up just like I had on my windows machine but so much lighter and faster (particularly doing anything over the network).

Have needed help a few times already but searching the forums has answered just about every question I had. The future looks bright :D
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Newblood checking in :)

Post by WharfRat »

Hello ravenmad Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Hi ravenmad,
Welcome to Mint and the forums.
Enjoy your newly found freedoms
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi ravenmad, After a few weeks with Mint you'll be rethinking that username. SO far I have found nothing in Mint to make me mad! Welcome to sanity. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravenmad »

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm
After a few weeks with Mint you'll be rethinking that username. SO far I have found nothing in Mint to make me mad!
Hahaha! I certainly hope so! My Win7 setup has been, by and large, pretty reliable with only a few niggles here and there but I like tinkering with new toys and really like the idea of FOSS so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) a long-term relationship with Linux.

If anything goes wrong, I see support is not far away :P (I'm in Adelaide) Seriously though, how good are these forums, eh? Fantastic!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

ravenmad wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 am
If anything goes wrong, I see support is not far away :P (I'm in Adelaide) Seriously though, how good are these forums, eh? Fantastic!
I grew up in Adelaide, then moved to Darwin. 26 years later we managed to "escape" and return to our roots. Thinking Gawler was a nice near country town we moved there. Yeah! Right! Ended up moving about 60km further north to Riverton. Eldest son accused us of sneaking back to Darwin a few km at a time. What part of Adelaide are you from? :)
Fully mint Household
Kibiras
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kibiras »

Welcome to forum:)
ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravenmad »

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:32 am

I grew up in Adelaide, then moved to Darwin. 26 years later we managed to "escape" and return to our roots. Thinking Gawler was a nice near country town we moved there. Yeah! Right! Ended up moving about 60km further north to Riverton. Eldest son accused us of sneaking back to Darwin a few km at a time. What part of Adelaide are you from? :)
Heh, did a lot of that growing up too. Dad lived in and around Naracoorte for most of my teenage years so did a lot of travelling between Adelaide and there. When I was living with mum, we moved suburbs a lot - Payneham, Athelstone, then a bit further north to Modbury, Para Hills West and Paravista. As an adult, lived 16 years in the Adelaide Hills (Bridgewater & Balhannah) and now just recently settled in Urrbrae. Phew! :D
hi_t_moonweed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hi_t_moonweed »

Wow, there seems to be a few Aussies taking on Linux Mint. I find it comfortable and undaunting but still a learning curve though.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Welcome aboard Raven. If need any help don't hesitate to ask =).
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

ravenmad wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 am
lsemmens wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:32 am

Heh, did a lot of that growing up too. Dad lived in and around Naracoorte for most of my teenage years so did a lot of travelling between Adelaide and there. When I was living with mum, we moved suburbs a lot - Payneham, Athelstone, then a bit further north to Modbury, Para Hills West and Paravista. As an adult, lived 16 years in the Adelaide Hills (Bridgewater & Balhannah) and now just recently settled in Urrbrae. Phew! :D
I spent my later teens hooning around Naracoorte, Lucindale and the Mount on motor bikes! We should get together in RL sometime and compare stories. :D
Fully mint Household
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Introduce yourself”