how to connect to the internet?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: how to connect to the internet?

Post by exploder »

Open the menu, click on "All Applications", Administration, and scroll down the list to "Windows Wireless Drivers". You should be able to set up your drivers there and configure your connection.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Did you use the tool to install your Windows drivers for the hardware first? Once you do that you should be able to configure the network.
kei84

Post by kei84 »

When you right click on the network icon in your tray, enable networking and enable wireless are checked?
kei84

Post by kei84 »

That message means that it recognizes wireless connections. You should be able to see a list of connections available.

Try using your LiveCD and see if your connection works fine there.
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

I'm having the exact same issue and I'm totally stumped on what else to try. I've tried booting from a live CD and from full install and the issue is the same.

Why can't I just scan for available networks and pick one like in Windows? Isn't Mint supposed to just work out of the box? :?
manicpolymath

Post by manicpolymath »

mafaldaspeaks wrote: in that "Windows Wireless Drivers" window, there is a button "Add driver" which I also tried clicking but it asked me for an "inf" file to locate or add
This is the driver file that should be available online from the manufacturer website or from the cd that came with your card. I think the ndiswrapper website (I cant remember the exact url [google is good]) would be a good place to start looking if neither of those works.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Left click on the network icon.
It should list all networks found.
If it's a hidden network click connect to hidden network.

If that doesn't work post the details of your wireless network card.
You also could give wicd a try.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok no one even knows if a windows driver is even needed.
What is the info about your wireless card.
lspci should be the command to get the info.
Also you could try mintWifi from the terminal.
Also what version of Linux Mint are you using?(Linux Mint 6 KDE CE, Linux Mint 7 Main, etc)

Return to “Beginner Questions”