Firefox Virus

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
M8WHRR

Firefox Virus

Post by M8WHRR »

Evening. Been using mint for a few years now, great so far. I tried downloading a couple games the other day and ever since I've had q_search jumping in on my Firefox. I search through the address bar, which is set for yahoo and it jumps to an address which is oll3.xyz

I've installed ClamAv and ClamTk, but I have no idea where to start. I've searched usr/bin and usr/bin/Firefox. Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Firefox Virus

Post by sleeper12 »

Go to Firefox settings, Add-ons, Extensions & remove any suspicious extensions. Others can advise if you need to do more.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

first i'd uninstall those games. sounds like one either had something it shouldn't hidden in it,or you missed a box to uncheck to not add it's 3rd party crapware. then i would fix my firefox.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Delete your current .mozilla profile and start with a new, clean profile. You'll lose all of your bookmarks and all of your stored website passwords, though.

Code: Select all

rm -r -v ~/.mozilla && rm -r -v ~/.cache/mozilla
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm Delete your current .mozilla profile and start with a new, clean profile. You'll lose all of your bookmarks and all of your stored website passwords, though.

simply NO! really no need to lope off one's own head to simply remove a zit.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MrGrimm wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:07 pm
Pjotr wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm Delete your current .mozilla profile and start with a new, clean profile. You'll lose all of your bookmarks and all of your stored website passwords, though.

I had no idea that your head was in your .mozilla profile. :lol:

Look, when there's clearly a contamination by malware in the .mozilla profile, there's no telling how deeply it has infiltrated into it and how widely it has spread in it. Better safe than sorry.

Losing the bookmarks is not too difficult to recover from. And the stored website passwords need to be changed now, anyway.

@OP: after the cleanup I advise to run your Firefox in a sandbox, like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ndbox.html
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If you want to get rid of that nastyware, follow Pjotr's advice.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Schultz wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:21 pm If you want to get rid of that nastyware, follow Pjotr's advice.
+1
and also +1 for using Firejail sandbox to thwart further corruptions like this
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm
MrGrimm wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:07 pm

I had no idea that your head was in your .mozilla profile. :lol:

Look, when there's clearly a contamination by malware in the .mozilla profile, there's no telling how deeply it has infiltrated into it and how widely it has spread in it. Better safe than sorry.

Losing the bookmarks is not too difficult to recover from. And the stored website passwords need to be changed now, anyway.

@OP: after the cleanup I advise to run your Firefox in a sandbox, like this:
humorous you're not. that said you're ASSuming that it's something that can't be simply removed from the addons. my roommate is a good one for forgetting to uncheck and i end up having to fix the problem he created. more times than not where the browser is concerned it's a simple matter of uninstalling something from the os and or removing a addon that was added without permission. do the checks to see if the profile can be saved first.
philotux

Post by philotux »

@ M8WHRR

Perhaps a less drastic option would be to refresh your Firefox:
If you're having problems with Firefox, refreshing it can help. The refresh feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs.
Please refer to: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

philotux wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 pm @ M8WHRR

Perhaps a less drastic option would be to refresh your Firefox:
If you're having problems with Firefox, refreshing it can help. The refresh feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs.
Please refer to: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
+1
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you should still be able to export & save your current Bookmarks List though:
- - Bookmarks - Show all Bookmarks - - Import & backup - - Backup ( to a *.JSON file )
then use that mentioned Reset Function - - Help - Troubleshooting Information.

or - just follow Pjotr's advice on restoring your .mozilla profile.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MrGrimm wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:46 pm humorous you're not. that said you're ASSuming
And you're not good at hiding donkeys. It takes one to know one, I suppose. Heehaw, brother! :lol:

Now let the following sink in. There's a difference between acting like a sloppy "whatever, man" teenager and acting like a responsible man who cares about a potential leak of his stored website passwords.

There's no way of knowing for sure, that a clearly infected .mozilla profile didn't also leak its stored website passwords to the creator of the malware. So changing those immediately, each and every one of them, should be first priority. Which means that losing them all by creating a shiny clean new .mozilla profile, isn't a true loss anyway.

As to the bookmarks: Pierre's suggestion should make the loss of those even easier to overcome.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 am There's no way of knowing for sure, that a clearly infected .mozilla profile didn't also
... infect other parts of the home directory. Is it safe to assume that the malware stays contained within the .mozilla folder?
Last edited by philotux on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

philotux wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 am
Pjotr wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 am There's no way of knowing for sure, that a clearly infected .mozilla profile didn't also
... infects other parts of the home directory. Is it safe to assume that the malware stays contained within the .mozilla folder?
No, but that's why I advise to run your web browser in a sandbox:
philotux

Post by philotux »

Yes, that's a must! Maybe it should be a sticky somewhere in the forums:
Sandbox your browser!
at the very least.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

as stated do not delete your profile unless there is no other choice.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:09 am as stated do not delete your profile unless there is no other choice.
Simply repeating debunked bad advice without giving new arguments, doesn't make it any more valid.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

first it's not debunked advice, second it's not bad advice and you know it. you damn well know you only use the nuclear option if there is no other choice.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:19 am first it's not debunked advice, second it's not bad advice and you know it. you damn well know you only use the nuclear option if there is no other choice.
Deleting the current .mozilla profile isn't the nuclear option. The nuclear option, which would indeed be exaggerated, would be to delete all the contents of the personal user folder. The rest of your message is just, again, repetition of your debunked bad advice....

Peace!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfTdCYl-c70

Return to “Other topics”