Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Micromet
Level 1
Level 1

Recommended Wireless Router

Post by Micromet » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:31 am

While the Community.Linuxmint.com site has a list of Routers that work perfectly with Mint ( https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search ), it's not obvious how old this page is. Several of them are available on Amazon - but before getting one I thought I'd ask this forum for their recommendations.

I'm looking to upgrade my Buffalo Airstation WHR-G125 to a 802.11n router (no modem required as the modem is supplied by my Virgin Media Hub 2). Dual band would be nice but I'm looking towards the budget end - say around £50. Networking is one of my Linux areas of least knowledge - so a router that more or less works out of the box without having to upgrade drivers etc would be preferred.

As far as situation is concerned - normal semi-detached house with brick walls and currently using an Nfiniti wireless repeater for the ground floor.

stephanieswitzer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Recommended Wireless Router

Post by stephanieswitzer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:47 am

I retired my Apple Time Capsule and bought the Synology RT2600AC router. Been using it for over a year. Highly configurable. Superb security. I have Express VPN configured right on the router so that all my wired and Wi-Fi connected devices connect through the VPN. On the downside, it's expensive.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB, Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am

stephanieswitzer wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:47 am
........ On the downside, it's expensive.
Ain't that always the way ..... :)

If cost were not an issue I'd be getting a Gryphon , no question .

I'd never heard of it before , but I regularly follow the postings by "Slyguy" , over at Malwaretips .
What that man doesn't know about network security isn't worth knowing IMO , and always so willing to help and share his knowledge !
He turned me on to Forticlient for Windows , and Pihole for everything .... and I use his recommended configs for both .

Gryphon is a very serious piece of kit indeed , but maybe for folks with deeper pockets .... anyway , here's a link :-

https://malwaretips.com/threads/gryphon ... ter.85278/
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:59 pm

im using a "Netgear AC750 Model R6020 WiFi Router" here at home, along with my Arris TG862 Modem/Router that is supplied by my ISP...the "netgear" works flawlessly out of the box, even though i do tweak things up on both boxes (ISP has their arris box totally unlocked for me to tweak it my way but i earned that priviledge by helping them out with some of their problems)...the netgear box was 35 dollars US...DAMIEN

PS...im on my ISPs lowest speed of 100 Mbps, but it will of course work in lower speeds and is capable of running up to 433 Mbps.
ORDO AB CHAO

Micromet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Micromet » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks for the replies - perhaps I should have said I'm in the UK - as it seems the Netgear AC750 R6020 is not available in the UK. A search of eBay UK showed all instances to be from the US. Also just for completeness, I'm running Mint 19.1 Tessa - if this makes any difference.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am

hi micromet...i already discerned that you were in the UK by your referencing of Virgin Media Hub 2 as well as your cost budget of £50 (Pounds)...lol...DAMIEN

PS...sorry that router is not available in UK...works really well. also, besides ebay, did you look to see if its available in UK via Amazon?.
ORDO AB CHAO

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 am

I like my new Asus RT-AC66U_B1

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 am

Whoa! I didn't know the usability of a wireless router depends on the OS of the hardware connecting to it (wireless) instead of the hardware itself. Can you guys educate me on this? :?:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm

It shouldn't. It's the clients (USB WiFi adapter, PCI card, etc.) that needs to work with the OS. I assume the original poster wants these parts to match, same brand, model, series, etc. to insure best performance.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:25 am

I have tried various wireless routers but Billion BiPAC 8800NL R2 gives the best performance yet. It is readily available in the UK.
Version: LM 19.2 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

Return to “Wireless”