[SOLVED] Ubuntu style file transfer gui on Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
whatsforbreakfast
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Ubuntu style file transfer gui on Mint?

Post by whatsforbreakfast »

Hey everyone, not sure if this is a dumb question or not but I'm struggling to find the right search terms to locate anyone else online discussing the same thing. Basically, is it possible to have Mint 19.1 Cinnamon transfer files in a graphical way the same way Ubuntu 18.04 LTS does? I've just come from Ubuntu and loved the way it handled file transfers with that little progress wheel that would pop up at the top of the window beside the directory path, and how you can click on it which expands it to show more details. Would love this on Mint if possible :D
Last edited by whatsforbreakfast on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ubuntu style file transfer gui on Mint?

Post by MrGrimm »

i'm sure just like in windows there must be at least programs that can be installed to give you what you want.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am
i'm sure just like in windows there must be at least programs that can be installed to give you what you want.
It's a DE function in Ubuntu and trying to install the Ubuntu packages that'd replicate it would be a very good way to break things.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 am
MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am
It's a DE function in Ubuntu and trying to install the Ubuntu packages that'd replicate it would be a very good way to break things.
pretty sure taking over the transfer functions if done right would not break the system.

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 »

What does you mean with "file transfer"?

Does you mean a command like cp or move?
Does you mean copying a filoe between 2 different folders (on the same or different folders on the same or different computers in the same or different locations?Does you mean copying or moving a file on the same disk or different disk on the same or different drives?

In any case: the kernel gets asked to leliver a number of bytes fom its source to the destinatiuon. For that a driver gests asked to send a number of bytes to (another) driver to (another) driver whereas a number fof cvomputers with a number of network driver may or may not transfers the data from one loaction (a place on a disk) to another place. Wheras a graphical shell may or may not interpret a number of mouse clicks to initiate the actions and wait for completion the actions.

Depending on the source and destionation locations the number and type of the drivers more or less number or buffers and drivers are combined to get the action completed.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

ubuntu uses gnome which uses nautilus. your solution is apt install nautilus BUT beware that both mint and ubuntu file managers (which are different but forked from the same source) in the menu are still called Files

you can change the name of Files for nautilus with menu editor. you can also open synaptic search for nautilus and install some more extensions for it

whatsforbreakfast
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whatsforbreakfast »

trytip wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm
ubuntu uses gnome which uses nautilus. your solution is apt install nautilus BUT beware that both mint and ubuntu file managers (which are different but forked from the same source) in the menu are still called Files

you can change the name of Files for nautilus with menu editor. you can also open synaptic search for nautilus and install some more extensions for it
Awesome that worked! Thanks for the tip on synaptic too, I had a look and there's some cool stuff there :) I don't know why but the Nemo gui for file transfers for me is buggy but Nautilus works well.

Cheers for all the answers guys, appreciate it :)

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

whatsforbreakfast wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 pm
Thanks for the tip on synaptic too, I had a look and there's some cool stuff there :)
There sure is. Same cool stuff as in the software manager. Just presented differently.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”