[SOLVED] How to shrink ISO onto 4.7gb DVD?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to shrink ISO onto 4.7gb DVD?

Post by SunWorks »

Hello,
I've got a 5.3gb ISO file that i want to shrink-to-fit a 4.7gb DVD.

Used to use K9Copy to do this, but no longer supported.

Any ideas how to shrink / compress this ISO down to 4.7 disc size?

Thank you in advance.
Clinton
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How to shrink ISO onto 4.7gb DVD?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I suggest moving the data off the main HDD/SSD before you make the ISO,

importing data from an external USB drive is the easiest way to get the job done.

or

just put the full ISO onto a Flash Drive with USB Image Writer, the smallest ones now are 16gB
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

Thank you for the reply, but
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:39 pm I suggest moving the data off the main HDD/SSD before you make the ISO, importing data from an external USB drive is the easiest way to get the job done.
This is not applicable. It may be "the easiest way to get (your) job done", but it does not answer my question.
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:39 pm just put the full ISO onto a Flash Drive with USB Image Writer, the smallest ones now are 16gB
I know how to put it onto a USB Flash Drive and am fully aware of the different sizes.
I need to burn a 5.3gb ISO movie onto a DVD disc that holds 4.7gb.

K9Copy used to do this, but is no longer supported and would prefer not to use non-supported software.

Regards.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

DeVeDe will do that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi SunWorks (Clinton),

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

If it is a video or movie, there are various techniques and application options for reducing their file sizes. MakeMKV can also rip DVD/Blu-Ray discs into digital video ".mkv" files which can then be resized or burned to a DVD disc or easily converted to another video file format.

There is a fork of K9Copy called "K9copy-reloaded" for Linux Mint 17.x, 18.x using their PPA or deb files, and Linux Mint 19.x users can use the deb file below.

The k9copy v3.03 links below installed in my Linux Mint 19 after it removed the "libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56" package, which I can re-install. The menu shortcut did not come up, but if I created a new shortcut launcher with just "k9copy" as the command, that works; I could also edit the menu or original shortcut to only use k9copy. It appears to be working.

I could not get the newest versions to install because of dependency issues, but the link below has a method.

k9copy-reloaded packages for Ubuntu 14.04 and newer and Debian Jessie
http://tomtomtom.org/k9copy-reloaded/en.html

[SOLVED] DeVeDe vs. k9copy dependency hell in 16.04
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2323983

64-bit
http://tomtomtom.org/k9copy-reloaded/k9 ... _amd64.deb
32-bit
http://tomtomtom.org/k9copy-reloaded/k9 ... 1_i386.deb

Hope this helps ...
k9copy-reloaded2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I would not have bothered to even make a post had you included "Movie" in the first post....
ISO for most of us, means an Operating System and in your case, I assumed it was the OS plus data files.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 pmISO for most of us, means an Operating System and in your case, I assumed it was the OS plus data files.
Bad assumption. (But a common one among Linux users.) ISO is International Standards Organization, and they have standards for all kinds of different things, and disc formats is just one of them. (I used to have to know about a bunch of ISO standards in my engineering work.) I almost fell into the same bad assumption, but I thought, No, I'd better check this out and see what he means. Glad I did. I think the ISO standard for CDs and DVDs is ISO9660.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"...how to shrink ISO onto 4.7gb DVD..."
The dvd95 package will do what you need...
  • DVD95 is an GNOME application to convert DVD9 to DVD5 (4.7GB).
    o Onboard version of vamps and dvdauthor.
    o Interface is pretty simple to use.
    o Shrinking factor can be 2-pass computed (best results) or a 1-pass adaptive guess-as-we-go compression method may be chosen (faster).
    o DVD can be converted to a file tree or a burnable ISO9660 file, if that's what you want.
    o Result can be played through xine, vlc, mplayer, Windows98SE (!) it's plain-vanilla DVD MPEG1 encoding.
    o Removes menus, titles or sound tracks you mark as 'unwanted'.
    o Unpacks the movie frame-by-frame and recodes it using just enough MPEG compression so the whole thing will fit in the target medium.
    o With libdvdcss2 it will compress directly from a defective-by-design CSS protected retail disk. Mint's optional Install Codecs has this library.
  • Quite Interesting:
    o A DVD feature-length movie without compression needs 160GB of storage.
    o Many-many-lots of x86 processors have opcodes to support an MPEG1 codec. The files are bigger, but encode and decode are much faster than, say, Theora.
    o ISO3103 can help if you have a large conversion in progress... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3103
    (Awarded the Ig-Nobel Prize for Literature in 1999).
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

Mute Ant wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 am "...how to shrink ISO onto 4.7gb DVD..."
The dvd95 package will do what you need...
  • DVD95 is an GNOME application to convert DVD9 to DVD5 (4.7GB).
    o Shrinking factor can be 2-pass computed (best results) or a 1-pass adaptive guess-as-we-go compression method may be chosen (faster).
    o DVD can be converted to a file tree or a burnable ISO9660 file, if that's what you want.
Thanks for the answer. Actually this was one of the first programs I looked for as I have used this in years previous, but do not see it available any more for Mint 19 Cinnamon 64.

Would be nice to install!
I ended up using DeVeDe NG.
thank you.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm DeVeDe will do that.
Yep.
That's what i used.
Worked fine.
Thank you.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 pm I would not have bothered to even make a post had you included "Movie" in the first post....
ISO for most of us, means an Operating System and in your case, I assumed it was the OS plus data files.
What do you have against movies/videos?
It's a very good way to teach topics and putting the movie onto DVD is very useful for where bandwidth is measured/limited.

There's a lot of the world where the technology is still very useful and just right.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 pm I would not have bothered to even make a post had you included "Movie" in the first post....
if some-one did mention a file size of >4.7Gb & they didn't include the word "Microsoft",,
then I'd assume that they were referring to some Movie(s) & not some System ISO :mrgreen:
- - those win-10 ISOs can be well over that 4.7Gb in size :(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

ISO in, and of, itself gives us no idea what data is held in that container format, It's a bit like saying, I have a piece of rope, can I tow my car with it. I, too, initially thought of an pile of documents or an operating system. Movies were well down the list of things I was thinking about. Given that there are many video compression formats about, it is not the sort of question I'd expect from anyone but a rank newbie. SO, in this case, I understand AZgl1500's confusion.

Anyway, glad you have your answer.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SunWorks wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:29 am What do you have against movies/videos?
Speaking strictly for myself here: not a thing, but i don't know how to get them onto a 4.7 GB DVD, so knowing that it was about that would have stoped me from responding too. We don't all have the same experience, so we can't all answer the same questions.

I'm happy to see that your issue is solved; I'll go ahead and mark the thread as solved for you, this time.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”