[SOLVED] [PHOTOS] Pix / Shotwell or any better ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joan_2018

[SOLVED] [PHOTOS] Pix / Shotwell or any better ?

Post by Joan_2018 »

Hi all,

I am coming from MacOSX, little by little, and searching the best Photos software management. In your opinion, which is the best to organizing/editing them ?

Best regards,

Joan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [PHOTOS] Pix / Shotwell or any better ?

Post by Turtletronic »

Also consider XNView MP, digiKam, or Darktable.
Personal experience for my personal needs shows that XNView MP was more stable than Shotwell when it came to huge amounts (20k) of tagged TIF files.
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I find Pix more than adequate for arranging photos. For editing I use Fottox which gives me the three features I want: cropping, brightness changes, and text insertion. If you want a Photoshop equivalent then try GIMP.
Cliff Coggin
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

My workflow consists of an image viewer, darktable, GIMP, ImageMagick, and digiKam.

I use an image viewer as a light table, to review and cull images quickly. I switch between using Geeqie and XnView MP, and currently Geeqie is my default for this work. I like, use and recommend both programs.

darktable is my RAW developer. I also use RAWTherapee, but I prefer darktable. Most of my processing is done in darktable.

GIMP is for editing and final processing, and very few of my photos get this treatment. Before I dumped it cold turkey about two years ago, I only used Photoshop to process and edit images; now I use only darktable.

I use ImageMagick to create a contact print, to reduce the size of images, to convert to another format, and to create a PDF "slideshow".

Finally, I use digiKam for image management. It can also be used to process and edit photos, but I only use it to manage my photos. For more information and downloads, see www.digikam.org. Download the AppImage, make it executable, and run.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

You might want to try xnviewmp from xnview.com.
Awesome software:photo viewer, image resizer, batch image converter and more!
Works on (Windows/MacOSX/Linux).
Last edited by wallyUSA on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
Joan_2018

Post by Joan_2018 »

Many thanks to all. I will keep an eye to all these softwares and take conclusions.
Last edited by Joan_2018 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wallyUSA wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm You might want to try xnviewmp form xnview.com.
Seconded. Amazingly good. It's in the software manager too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Moem wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:07 pm
wallyUSA wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm You might want to try xnviewmp form xnview.com.
Seconded. Amazingly good. It's in the software manager too.
I am pretty sure XnViewMP is not in the default repositories. If it is showing up in Software Manager for you I suspect ppa:dhor/myway is in your sources. It is the PPA for a lot of photography-related tools: Converseen, Geeqie, RawTherapee, and Shutter, to name a few. I recommend it.

A snap package for an earlier version is available from the snapcraft store, https://snapcraft.io/xnviewmp, but I have a hard time recommending it as a snap, let alone a 3rd party snap.

To the OP, you can download XnView MP from https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/. (Or you can add the PPA.)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 am I am pretty sure XnViewMP is not in the default repositories. If it is showing up in Software Manager for you I suspect ppa:dhor/myway is in your sources. It is the PPA for a lot of photography-related tools: Converseen, Geeqie, RawTherapee, and Shutter, to name a few. I recommend it.
It's in my software manager, and I don't have that PPA. :?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 am
Perhaps you use Mint 19 because it is not in Mint18.3 repository.
Cliff Coggin
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am
This raises an interesting point. I have Mint 17.3 and 18.2 on my computers. I try to rely only on software from the Mint repository, mainly for reliability/security reasons. If new apps are added (say in the Mint 19 software manager) can they not be retrospectively added also to the software managers of other, previous, recent versions like 18.x or 17.x too? Or would that just be too difficult?
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

br1anstorm wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am
This raises an interesting point. I have Mint 17.3 and 18.2 on my computers. I try to rely only on software from the Mint repository, mainly for reliability/security reasons. If new apps are added (say in the Mint 19 software manager) can they not be retrospectively added also to the software managers of other, previous, recent versions like 18.x or 17.x too? Or would that just be too difficult?
There could be dependency issues with the older versions of Mint.

This may be why Mint 17.x won't offer Chromium past version 65 for instance, when the latest is 71.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
adrenalina

Post by adrenalina »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:26 am My workflow consists of an image viewer, darktable, GIMP, ImageMagick, and digiKam.

I use an image viewer as a light table, to review and cull images quickly. I switch between using Geeqie and XnView MP, and currently Geeqie is my default for this work. I like, use and recommend both programs.

darktable is my RAW developer. I also use RAWTherapee, but I prefer darktable. Most of my processing is done in darktable.

GIMP is for editing and final processing, and very few of my photos get this treatment. Before I dumped it cold turkey about two years ago, I only used Photoshop to process and edit images; now I use only darktable.

I use ImageMagick to create a contact print, to reduce the size of images, to convert to another format, and to create a PDF "slideshow".

Finally, I use digiKam for image management. It can also be used to process and edit photos, but I only use it to manage my photos. For more information and downloads, see www.digikam.org. Download the AppImage, make it executable, and run.
Hi, your post is very interesting, thanks.
I tried to "copy" you, however I've already find some issues:
- image view: either Geeqie and XnView seems to have a flaw, as they can import only within Home partition. My photos, however, are stored in a separate partition, which seems not accessible to these programs.
Other photo management programs such as Shotweel, Dikigam etc instead do easily access that partition.
I hope it is possibile also with Geeqie and XnView i.e. that I'm missing something. Otherwise I'd have to choose between: i) moving at least the "input" photo directory inside OS i.e. root; ii) do not use those image viewers.

Thanks for any help
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

adrenalina wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:21 pm however I've already find some issues:
- image view: either Geeqie and XnView seems to have a flaw, as they can import only within Home partition.
My photos are on a separate "Data" partition, and I have no problem accessing them from either Geeqie or XnView. You should be able to open images on any mounted partition. You may need to navigate to it in the Geeqie/XnView file browser, and Geeqie will let you "bookmark" the location.
adrenalina

Post by adrenalina »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:33 pm
adrenalina wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:21 pm however I've already find some issues:
- image view: either Geeqie and XnView seems to have a flaw, as they can import only within Home partition.
My photos are on a separate "Data" partition, and I have no problem accessing them from either Geeqie or XnView. You should be able to open images on any mounted partition. You may need to navigate to it in the Geeqie/XnView file browser, and Geeqie will let you "bookmark" the location.
I'm somehow glad to hear that, thanks.
I've tried but can't figure out how to do it: it seems that the "higher" level i can make them navigate is my HOME partition, not any "further". I'll try ti send an image to make my issue more clear. BTW, I'm using 18.04 LTS and the lastest version of those programs.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] [PHOTOS] Pix / Shotwell or any better ?

Post by decrepit »

I'm running 19.1 mate and I can't find XnViewMP in the standard repositories
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

adrenalina wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:25 pm I've tried but can't figure out how to do it: it seems that the "higher" level i can make them navigate is my HOME partition, not any "further". I'll try ti send an image to make my issue more clear. BTW, I'm using 18.04 LTS and the lastest version of those programs.
Quite a few programs are like this the first time you open them.
What you have to do is go up a level from Home to root (/).
Open up root & come down to the Media Folder.
In the Media Folder click on your Name
Mounted drives will appear & you can navigate to your photo folders from there..
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

decrepit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 am I'm running 19.1 mate and I can't find XnViewMP in the standard repositories
So am I... :D
XnViewMP.png
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Well that's odd, I couldn't find it with "synaptic", but "software manager" is now installing it.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

So it's installed, but it says it's running as "superuser???????????????

Return to “Beginner Questions”