[SOLVED] Linux mint Slow downloading

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bash19

[SOLVED] Linux mint Slow downloading

Post by Bash19 »

I recently joined the linux community. My laptop is like fresh now except the slow download. The internet speed is fast and I don’t know what to do with this issue. Please help me. Thank you 🙏
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nebiwo

Re: Linux mint Slow downloading

Post by nebiwo »

Hello and welcome to the community! I am a newcomer myself so I might not be of that much help but for speeding up your download-speed for packages you can try and change your mirror location. You do this simply by Control Center --> Software Sources and from there you can change to a more local mirror. This should increase download-speeds for updates and the like.
Bash19

Post by Bash19 »

Thanks man! I tried it but it didn’t improve that much
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've actually found using closer mirrors hasn't made updating faster for me, and I think the OP is talking about dls in general.

You're going to have to post some system info for anyoned to be able to tell anything, copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here (no screenshots please):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

You said your internet speed is fast? yet your d/l speed is slow.. As pointed out by Hoser Rob if you choose your local mirror that will increase you speed.
You haven't indicated whether you are using WiFi or ethernet connection. Both connections have different speeds, also depends on what your ISP has pegged your speed to, also if you have the proper wifi driver installed also.
You need to do what Hoser Rob suggested and post the results and only then will you get the help you require. The experts will then examine the results and should be able to help you.
good luck mate.
Bash19

Post by Bash19 »

I reinstalled the mint iso and everything is ok now. Thank you guys🙏🙏🙏

Return to “Beginner Questions”