Any app to check for bottlenecks?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Any app to check for bottlenecks?

Post by benchrest »

I'm looking to build a new computer. My current specs are in signature. It is 6 years old (except for GPU). It works pretty good but lags a little loading and saving my LibreOffice Calc files. My files have links to other LO files and after using these links I have a noticeable lag. I suspect the issue is my SSD, but that is a guess. Could be LibreOffice itself. How do I know for sure? If I build a new machine an performance stayed the same that would suck.
What I am considering is a CPU upgrade (Ryzen 5 2600x) and a M.2 SSD ( maybe 10x faster than my current SSD). But is there an app that would give me some statistics on running LO (or any app) to show where delays are?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Any app to check for bottlenecks?

Post by Pjotr »

The culprit might be Java. Speed up your Mint (including LibreOffice) without any cost:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

Thanks, I disabled Java in LO. I went through the tips. Also installed nmon. nmon shows my SSD is not getting up a sweat when I open and close my file, however my CPU is running 100% much of the time during open, save and close for my most complex file. Other files are pretty quick. I think I will live with it for now.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

How much RAM have you got in your system, I cannot see that anywhere in your spec list.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

8 gb
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks for that, So it is unlikely that RAM is the problem. Is the machine slow from the get go or does it slowly get worse over time? I'm wondering if a fresh install of Linux shows any improvement.How many programs do you keep running "in case"? There has been discussion on "Swappyness" in the past where an incorrectly sized swap file may cause a bottleneck, but I have no expertise in that area. Maybe a search on the Swap file will throw up a few hits for your perusal.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

Thanks for your replies. Several things. nmon convinced me my SSD is fine for this particular problem.
2nd I don't think I was clear that it is just two LO calc files that are slow, one in particular. I have increased memory for LO. And I am sheepishly saying I made the problem worse by my desire for a new computer. Trying to justify in my mind a computer I do not need yet.
The file that is so bad was 8.8 mb and I have reduced to 5.9mb by removing over half the external references to CSV files, perhaps removing over half of over 10,000 external references to 28 CSV files. Also removed much data for future use that I will add later if needed. I also have many charts in my 28 sheets, perhaps 40 - 50. Two sheets are near identical, yet one sheet scrolls normal and the other with a big delay. Temporarily I deleted the data series to the two charts on that page ans scrolling now is fine. I need to add the data back one at a time to find the culprit. The file is still slower than I would like but I need to do more testing and tuning.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”