Can't Find Where To Download Gimp Resynthesizer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reddak98

Can't Find Where To Download Gimp Resynthesizer

Post by Reddak98 »

Had it on my computer but did a reinstall and lost it. Now I can't find where to get it back. Also steps to reinstall. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am using Linux Mint 19 Mate. Computer is Lenovo Thinkpad SL 510 32 bit.

Thanks
Red
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can't Find Where To Download Gimp Resynthesizer

Post by xenopeek »

As per the resynthesizer developer https://github.com/bootchk/resynthesizer you can just install the package gimp-plugin-registry on Linux Mint and its included in that.

Mind to check you have GIMP 2.8 and not 2.10. The above package is for GIMP 2.8 as from the Linux Mint repository. Possibly you installed GIMP 2.10 from the flatpak and it won't work with that.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Reddak98,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I think your computer is actually a 64-bit computer and you installed a 32-bit Linux Mint when you should have installed a 64-bit Linux Mint system. It is common knowledge now, that a lot of software is not being maintained or developed anymore for 32-bit computers.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

If you want to use Gimp v2.10 with the Resynthesizer plugins, then you might consider using their AppImage where that is included.

Release Continuous · aferrero2707/gimp-appimage
-- scroll down to the newer release dates with plugins
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

Previous post: Gimp 2.10.9 resynthesizer - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=286331&hilit=resynth

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

phd21 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm I think your computer is actually a 64-bit computer and you installed a 32-bit Linux Mint when you should have installed a 64-bit Linux Mint system. It is common knowledge now, that a lot of software is not being maintained or developed anymore for 32-bit computers.
I'm trying to understand the relevancy. The gimp-plugin-registry package is available from Software Manager for 64 bit and 32 bit installations and both have the resynthesizer plugin.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi xenopeek,

The relevancy is that if someone mistakenly installs a 32-bit Linux Mint system when they actually have a 64-bit system is that they would be limiting themselves in computer performance and to what software is available to use.

I would think that a 64-bit Gimp would outperform a 32-bit Gimp although I could be mistaken on that.

I have also noticed that many software applications for Linux Mint 19.x based on Ubuntu 18.04 do not provide 32-bit versions anymore although you can usually find Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial) 32-bit versions that still work.

And, Gimp v2.10 has been dramatically improved over v2.8 versions. If this user does not care about the Gimp 2.10 improvements, then I totally agree with you that using Gimp v2.8 and the already available resynth plugins would be more than enough for most image editing tasks.

GIMP 2.10 Is Finally Here! Here's How to Install it on Ubuntu - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/gim ... u-download
GIMP 2.10 is jam-packed with changes, improvements and new features, both big and small, visible and non-visible. To put things into perspective GIMP 2.8 was released back in 2012
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Please note the GIMP AppImage phd21 mentioned is a 64-bit AppImage, and it will not work on 32-bit Linux. It works perfectly fine on the 64-bit version, and the "with plugins" version is what I like, use and recommend.

As for Resynthesizer - those plugins need a serious refresh, if only to put the collection under one menu instead of scattering them all over the place.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022

Return to “Software & Applications”