A more appropriate Mint screen-shot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: A more appropriate Mint screen-shot

Post by murray »

MrEen wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Try to understand that most people probably want some kind of confirmation that what they attempted to do actually happened.
Agreed, I'd find it a bit odd to press the Print Screen button and nothing appear to happen. I'd probably think that the button press hadn't registered and press it a few more times! A sound or flash or some other indicator will at least tell me that the button press was registered and actioned. But I guess having it configurable is the best way, then people that want a notification can have one and those that don't can turn it off.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Vilsen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vilsen »

Your own choice! The possibility of setting up HOW you want something to work!
Flexibilty , like LINUX IS !
I am looking for this and there is now a possibility to choose whether or not the mouse pointer should be included in the picture, so why not give the user the option to choose where the image should be saved, in what format, which key does the thing, if you want sound, what sound, if you want a flash or nothing at all FOR YOU KNOW YOU WHAT YOU DO. why should one have to confirm that a screen has been created ??? I vote for you to remove the dialog and instead of an opportunity to set everything up in advance o then change if you change. One of the reasons for choosing Linux is THE FREE CHOICES which, unlike windows, is definitely o impossible to change.

I enclose 3 pictures: mate-screenshot, gnome-screenshot and the unnecessary dialogue-box.

As I am NOT a programmer I cannot change this !

It has to be done by someone that has that skill.

If it was possible to get another version of SCREENSHOT from somewhere I would be greatful and

as I know - which I mentioned - there was a version in some previous Ubuntu release that saved the screenshot to the desktop
with date/time AUTOMATICALLY with no sound or flash and of course: no dialogue-box.

Why should it be ODD that nothing happens ? If you save it to desktop you will probably
see it instantly !

If you choosen another directory - well then you don 't get any confirmation but then again:

DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ????

I can assume that "people" don't use this finesse very much because if they did they should certainly appreciate
non-disturbing dialogue-boxes and sound and FLASHES.

Why is there not FLASHES in other circumstances ?

Is that ODD to ?

AT LEAST GIVE PEOPLE A POSSIBILITY TO CHOOSE for themselves what they want.

Don't be a dictator !
Attachments
Skärmavbild vid 2019-02-13 11-33-21.png
Skärmavbild vid 2019-02-13 11-33-42.png
Skärmavbild vid 2019-02-13 11-34-24.png

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Vilsen wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 am
Your own choice! The possibility of setting up HOW you want something to work!
Flexibilty , like LINUX IS !
Don't be a dictator !
Exactly, which is why the last sentence in my previous message says
I guess having it configurable is the best way, then people that want a notification can have one and those that don't can turn it off.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

Here's some screenshot tools you could look at: https://www.tecmint.com/take-or-capture ... ntu-linux/

Also, from your gnome-screenshot dconf image, what happens if you check the box for take-window-shot?

EDIT: Actually, I should have just said this:
catweazel wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 am
Vilsen wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:34 am
My CONTRIBUTIONS are probably the most important of all: namely to list the SHORTCOMINGS that a software has.
Manufacturers, Designers, and PROGRAMMERS are so knowledgeable and busy with their speciality
that they rarely notice the important thing we as USERS discover.
FEATURE REQUESTS GO ON THIS PAGE HERE: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-utils/issues
It's been almost 6 months, and still no Feature Request raised there.
Last edited by MrEen on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derrick1120
Level 2
Level 2

Post by derrick1120 »

There is a good screenshot tool included in the Firefox browser (if you use it).

Click on the three dots to the right of the address bar to select screenshot. It's silent, and gives you the options of Full page, visible, or user defined area.

This saves a png image to the downloads folder.

Regards

Derrick

Return to “Newbie Questions”