Various problems with CAJA

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Various problems with CAJA

Post by wpshooter »

Is it possible that changing the processing priority of CAJA in system monitor
from normal to a higher priority setting could solve the various problems with
CAJA as described at the following link ?

https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues/380

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Re: Various problems with CAJA

Post by gm10 »

The link says it's fixed? Upgrade your system is you're still on LM17.x
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

gm10 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 pm The link says it's fixed? Upgrade your system is you're still on LM17.x
Must not be fixed because these problems still occur and I am already on Mint 19.1 !!!

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Fair enough. I never experienced it but I'm not a huge caja user, either. From a quick scan of the issue thread it seems to be limited to networked file systems? If you've got additional info from your system maybe add it to the thread, the last relevant activity in there was saying it's fixed in LM18 and the confirmed reports were only from LM17.

Anyway, back to your original question, I can fairly confidently say that the caja process priority likely won't have any bearing on this, this issue will be in code.

PS: Or simply install another file browser like Nemo.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

gm10 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm Fair enough. I never experienced it but I'm not a huge caja user, either. From a quick scan of the issue thread it seems to be limited to networked file systems? If you've got additional info from your system maybe add it to the thread, the last relevant activity in there was saying it's fixed in LM18 and the confirmed reports were only from LM17.

Anyway, back to your original question, I can fairly confidently say that the caja process priority likely won't have any bearing on this, this issue will be in code.

PS: Or simply install another file browser like Nemo.
Is Nemo compatible with Mate ? Is Nautilus compatible with Mate ?

This problem occurred this morning when I was copying folders and file contents from my /home to a USB thumb drive.
It occurred when I dragged my ISO folder which has the 19.1 mate image and the sumcheck files for the image in it.
That image is fairly large (2gb). It hung during the copying of the image to the USB thumb drive. The sumcheck files
never got to the point of being copied. (the thumb drive had plenty of space on it - because when I went back and
attempted the copying again (this time leaving the ISO folder and its contents out), the thumb drive still had 13gb of
space left over after copying everything else in /home.

Are these copying problems perhaps somehow related to the size of the files that are attempted to be copied ?

Thanks.

P.S. - I just tried copying the ISO folder again - to a different thumb drive. It did the same thing, copied the ISO image and
then never copied the 2 sumcheck files, stuck at that point. Is there some reason that it is not supposed to be able
to copy those sumcheck files ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Yes, you can use any file browser you want. And I can copy several gigabyte sized files without problems to thumb drives with caja on 19.1, so I really don't know what's happening.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

gm10 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm Yes, you can use any file browser you want. And I can copy several gigabyte sized files without problems to thumb drives with caja on 19.1, so I really don't know what's happening.
Hmmmmmmmm, looks like there is something incompatibility with copying those sumcheck files, because I have tried it
several times, and that always seems to be where the problem occurs.

If there is some incompatibility in copying those files from one place to another, seems that a warning would be given about
this on the instructions that are given for the sumcheck procedures or did I miss that warning ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

wpshooter wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm If there is some incompatibility in copying those files from one place to another, seems that a warning would be given about
this on the instructions that are given for the sumcheck procedures or did I miss that warning ?
There is no such thing, I can copy them along with the .isos without issues, I've done it many times and I just tried again just to be sure. I don't know what your very specific issue is but you should discuss it with the MATE team - but only AFTER trying another file browser first (because it's very well possible it's a hardware or kernel issue in your case and doesn't have anything to do with caja at all).
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Tried Nautilus and had same problem.

It seems that for some reason it is not being able to move from copying the actual ISO image and
moving on to copying the 2 sumcheck files.

However, I just tried doing the copying separately on the ISO and the 2 sumcheck files instead of
dragging the entire ISO folder and it copied all 3 just fine.

Also, I inserted a USB hard drive and it copied all 3 files just fine no problem by just dragging the ISO folder which included its 3 files over to it.

Do you think this may just be a problem with copying to this particular brand (Samsung) usb thumb drive ?
I don't have any others (that are not being used) right now that are big enough to try but will resume testing when I do.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If copying to the USB HDD works but to the USB flash drive fails then yes, it might very well be the flash drive, although it's curious that you can copy the files individually, just not jointly. I have no answer for you, I haven't run into this problem yet. I'd start with re-formatting or even re-partitioning the flash drive and running a disk check on it (you can do both from within the Disks tool).
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Disk check utility reported problem with the USB drive, however the repair function of disk utility gave this:

Error repairing filesystem on /dev/sdb1: Process reported exit code 1:fsck fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) (udisks-error-quark,0)

I then went into gparted and it reported that it successfully repaired the FAT.

However, on again trying the copy operation, it copied only the ISO folder, the ISO image but NOT either of the other 2 files. Again, CAJA reported as not properly finished operation.

Really strange, I have no ideas as what to try next. What really baffles me is that this works just fine to the USB hard drive.
Am going to try copying this to some other USB thumb drives as soon as I can get some with sufficient size.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I found this on another website regarding the quark, 0 error message:

A weird solution that worked for me where GParted did not, was to format it using Mac OS X's Disk Utility initially (not the file system I ultimately wanted). Then I was able to format it on Ubuntu to NTFS which is what I wanted, and didn't encounter any timeout.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Finally found the solution - just WAIT.

Downloaded another copy of the ISO image from Linux Mint download site and
again started the copy process from its folder and this time when it got down
to the zero seconds left on the copy process window, I just went away and
worked on a household project for about 20 minutes and when I came back
to the computer, the copy window had properly closed and the copy was
successful. So, for some reason it just takes an inordinate amount of time
for the VERY FINAL part of the copy process to finish and the copy procedure
window to close !!!

Don't seem to have this problem though when copying anything other than
the ISO image(s).

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Sounds like it may just be a slow USB stick. If you do individual files it probably closes the popup faster because of write caching masking the slow write speed, but when doing multiple files it's waiting for confirmation from the previous one probably. At least that's my very rough guess without having looked at any of the code (so it may be complete nonsense ;)).
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

I too am having these continual problems with Caja.

LinuxMint Mate 19.1 64-bit
Caja File Manager 1.20.2

Annoying Issue:
- When opening folders, in any viewmode, local or external, independent of content, Caja seems to "stall" for quite a few secs, when trying to display file names, ...?
https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues/794
(with many other examples as above).
"The issues with slow operation of the file manager were tracked to GVFS. Ubuntu 16.04 has SRUd fixed GVFS to incorporate the upstream performance fixes ..."
"Does the default Linux Mint update policy prevent these updates from being installed?"

Regression again ?
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
gm10

Post by gm10 »

scjet45 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:15 am Annoying Issue:
Personally I've switched to upcoming Nemo 4.2.0 (LM 19.2), they did a great job speeding the thing up in particular with large folders (which I assume is your issue) and it leaves Caja 1.22 in the dust. Bit of a shame since I prefer the way Caja does a number of other things but Nemo had pulled ahead too far to justify sticking with Caja.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:02 am
scjet45 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:15 am Annoying Issue:
large folders
yep, containing terabytes, mostly local media stuff, and some external/portable. When i was using Mint's MATE 17.*/18.*, the folders were not near as large as it is now, hence why I didn't notice the extreme folder view lag before.
Being that Nemo is (pretty well) designed for Mint Cinnamon, just as Caja was built for Mint MATE, it doesn't seem that easy to simply switch to Nemo on MATE. -according to this: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/use-nem ... -caja/4124
I'll try Nemo on Mate, and/or, just install Mint's Cinnamon alongside Mate for awhile and try it for a few weeks too see, although I really prefer MATE's simplicity.

I wonder how my good 'ole Openbox + PCManFM would handle this.? :wink:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

scjet45 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am yep, containing terabytes, mostly local media stuff, and some external/portable. When i was using Mint's MATE 17.*/18.*, the folders were not near as large as it is now, hence why I didn't notice the extreme folder view lag before.
Yep, I was waiting for them to release Caja 1.22 (LM 19.1 still uses Caja 1.20) before deciding but they didn't change a thing about it, still massive lag. Nemo, on the other hand, displays partial contents instantly and then loads the rest in the background. Nemo has other issues, and in particular the custom scripting is still inferior to Caja's unfortunately despite some improvements for upcoming LM 19.2, but for working with large folders Caja is fairly unusable unfortunately...
scjet45 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am Being that Nemo is (pretty well) designed for Mint Cinnamon, just as Caja was built for Mint MATE, it doesn't seem that easy to simply switch to Nemo on MATE. -according to this: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/use-nem ... -caja/4124 ?
I'll try Nemo on Mate, and/or, just install a Mint's Cinnamon alongside Mate for awhile and try it for a few weels too se.
No, it's trivial to switch on Mint if you only want to switch your file manager, not also the process that handles the desktop:

Nemo is already in the repositories, so you only need to install it. Minor complication: Both Nemo and Caja will be called Files in the menu, so I suggest to renaming one or both to keep them apart. This is relevant because after that you have to go Mint menu > Preferred Applications > System > File Manager and switch it to Nemo.

Unfortunately MATE's default "Home folder" keybind ignores the preferred application setting so I just disabled it and created a custom keybind pointing to nemo in its place instead.

And that's about it, your default file browser is now Nemo.

PS: The menu issue they mention in your link did exist indeed but I already fixed when I was still part of the Mint dev team, so you'll receive a fixed menu with LM 19.2.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 am Nemo, on the other hand, displays partial contents instantly and then loads the rest in the background.
now that you mentioned this, and as a side note,
shouldn't EVERY file-manager browse in this manner by now in Linux.? -( needless to say, a friend of mine has very fast folder opening load times in his Win10 box).
Anyway, in a terminal, when doing an "ls", or even an "ls -la" in say, the "/usr/bin" folder, it's near instantaneous. But of course, no file manage will be as instantaneous as an "ls", but still, it should just throw the filenames up first, and load the "size", "type", date". ... columns in the background, after. -Then it would be fast.

Something else I noticed in Caja:
Whether I disable/re-enable recent folder, filename history or not, it makes no difference in Caja display times of folders, ..., it's still seems randomly slow opening a folder.
https://alexcabal.com/disabling-gnomes- ... better-way

In Caja, there's a "Reload the current location" button at the middle of top menu, which I never use, but sometimes when opening any folder, it stalls, and then that same "Reload" button icon actively twirls and then stalls on the upper-right-hand corner of Caja for a few seconds. -and this slow-to-open-folder issue happens even on my (system-drive)-SSD with only 3 or 4 files in ~/Documents, ...
There is definitely something sporadic going on with Caja, and/or gvfs, and/or gtk3 ..? I dunno.

Anyway, thanks for the tip regarding Nemo, and I'll try it later.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

wpshooter wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am So, for some reason it just takes an inordinate amount of time
for the VERY FINAL part of the copy process to finish and the copy procedure
window to close !!!

Don't seem to have this problem though when copying anything other than
the ISO image(s).

Thanks.
You should not rely on the "copy procedure window" for anything when copying is done to a USB if it involves large files like ISOs. This is not just Caja's issue.

It doesn't report the actual speed at which the stick is writing data. You may have noticed that if you ever tried to "Eject" it when progress window closed, you receive a notification that "Kernel is busy...bla bla" Of course, if you copy a few small files this is less marked since even the slowest USB 2.0 sticks write at least 2MiB/s in Linux. And the writing speed can vary considerably depending on the state of the stick and the amout of data to copy.

Return to “Software & Applications”