Dial-Up for Mint 7? or even AOL Dial-Up?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unclatino

Dial-Up for Mint 7? or even AOL Dial-Up?

Post by unclatino »

Doing this for a friend of mine, senior citizen with very limited computer knowledge.

SHORT-STORY: My friend only uses the computer for sending/receiving email, not even surfing the Internet much. Only priority is finding a Budget Dial-Up service, if I can get it to work. My friend currently uses AOL Dial-Up, and seeking to continue if possible. His limited budget only allows for a Desktop running Linux Mint 7, and he doesn't mind.

QUESTION:
1) Is there a Mint-Install package already available for Dial-Up Internet connection?

2) Only solution found regarding AOL Dial-Up for Linux (or Mint) is here: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html
Has anyone tried that? My only doubt is how simple will it be to connect on a daily basis... Anything beyond 1 or 2 clicks to access email is too complicated and out of the question.

3) Does anyone currently using Dial-Up Internet with Mint provide a solution? Online I found the following website: http://linux-friendly-56k.com/

Thanks for your help,

Federico
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alexxx24887

Re: Dial-Up for Mint 7? or even AOL Dial-Up?

Post by alexxx24887 »

There is an application called "chestnut dialer", it is available in mint's repositories, but only for Felicia right now. The installation should work on Mint 7. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”