Install Problem?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aakk

Install Problem?

Post by aakk »

I downloaded Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and then I clicked on Open. Nothing happened! I see Linux in the folder area and it says dvd drive d but I don't have one on this Dell 3185 Inspiron. How do I start Linux Mint ? Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Install Problem?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Or, rather, the official installation guide from the Mint developers themselves: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
aakk

Post by aakk »

Moem wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm Or, rather, the official installation guide from the Mint developers themselves: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/
I am not that smart. But I am sure this is a helpful forum with very smart people. I believe Linux is the best thing that ever happened to computers.
It is very hard for me to follow the Installation Guide. I don't know how to verify the ISO image, whatever that is. I don' t 'get' creating a bootable media. I don't know how to "boot" Linux Mint. These are the instructions in the Installation Guide. To me, it is like trying to understand someone speaking a different language.
I don't want to be difficult, Thanks for your time and understanding. I'm sure once it is installed, it would be easy to use. It seems like the installation is the hard part.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Let's be honest: it doesn't just say 'boot Linux Mint'. It gives you reasonably detailed information on how to do so. But yes, if you've never installed an operating system before, there are definitely some new steps involved! Have you ever installed an operating system before?
If not, is there anyone in your environment (family or friends) who could help?

Creating a bootable media an be as simple as burning the .iso file to a DVD as an image. Again, the installation guide explains it in some degree of detail. Have you read through the document, or just the headings of the different chapters?

I do agree that verifying the .iso is a somewhat complicated step, that can be intimidating.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hello @aakk,
The members of this forum wil baby-step you through this.

The first thing you will need to do is to download the Mint of your choice--
This will be a .iso file--get this file ONLY from https://www.linuxmint.com/
Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Post back to this thread when you have that file-- ask for instructions in the verification step.
Hang in there
Don't be intimidated with strange terms and lingo--if you don't understand something ask for a plain language explanation.
We have all been in your shoes as a beginner.
Just ask
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
aakk

Post by aakk »

OK, I downloaded from that link and I got an Icon of a Disc that says: DVD Drive D Linux Mint 19.1 Path This PC
When I double click on this Icon I get all these: .disc, boot, casper, dists, EFI, isolinux, pool, MD5SUMS, README.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

It sounds as if you have not made it bootable. See the second step (Live Boot) of the installation instructions. https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/
Cliff Coggin
aakk

Post by aakk »

I wrote down the instructions for making it bootable, whatever that is. It mentions a USB stick, do I have to insert one into the computer? Also that is the second step. What about the first step, verifying the ISO image. What is that and how is that done?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Assuming you are running some flavour of windows and have a DVD RW drive, it is probably easier to burn the iso to a DVD. Put a blank DVD in the drive and navigate to the mint iso in my computer, then right click on the mint iso and select burn disc image. Example below is running in windows 7 and a windows 10 iso selected.
Workspace 1_011.jpg
Once you have burnt the DVD you can boot from it, just put it in the computer and restart.

Edit - I know others will tell me off, but I've never bothered verifying the iso. :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
aakk

Post by aakk »

I do not have a DVD Drive. I have Windows 10.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

aakk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am OK, I downloaded from that link and I got an Icon of a Disc that says: DVD Drive D Linux Mint 19.1 Path This PC
When I double click on this Icon I get all these: .disc, boot, casper, dists, EFI, isolinux, pool, MD5SUMS, README.
Great--it looks like you have the .iso file.
No need to extract or unpack the file at all--leave it just as it was downloaded.
You will want to write (burn) this file to a usb flash drive as an image.
This is important--you cannot just copy this file over--you must write it as an image.
If you are doing this from Windows I suggest finding a download of the utility named 'rufus'
You will be able to find and download this utility easily because it is popular.
This utility will coach you through the writing process and you will get a bootable Mint stick.
Make sure your computer bios will boot to a usb port--and with the stick in you will get a Mint desktop--
When you get to this point report back.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

we will tend to assume, that you do know a little bit, about your Laptop & the Windows System.
& as long as you've got the Time - then so do we .. even if this does an week, to achieve.

so, as all41 » has said - use Rufus - - get that from here: https://rufus.ie/
and install that in your win-10 system.

do you have an 8Gb usb stick - - that you can use, for this exercise ?
or a 4 Gb usb stick, if you don't have the larger usb stick.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
aakk

Post by aakk »

OK, I will get a USB stick. Is it OK if I use a stick with something else on it or no? Also, you say "make sure my computer bios will boot to a usb port'. What does that mean? Thanks for your time and effort.
aakk

Post by aakk »

Alright, I got a USB stick. Now, how do I make sure it will boot from a USB port ? This is a Dell Inspiron 3185 Laptop if that matters.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Use Etcher to burn the .iso file onto the USB drive. (Etcher is easier to use than rufus. Less confusing buttons) https://www.balena.io/etcher/

After it says that it's done flashing the usb, turn off your pc completely. Right as you press the power button spam F2 on your keyboard until BIOS appears. Go to boot menu (order) and put USB flash on top and save. Restart.
aakk

Post by aakk »

I downloaded Etcher but the Icon stayed on "Select Image". What image do I select?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that ISO image - - browse to where it is currently located:
- most likely in your Downloads Folder
then select it & click on OK, if necessary.

then select your USB Stick, if the software has not already done that bit.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
aakk

Post by aakk »

OK, I think I'm getting closer. I got into the Bios and here is what I see:
Secure Boot Enabled
Legacy Option ROMS Disabled
Boot List Options UEFI
Attempt Legacy Boot Disabled

File Browser Add Boot Options
Windows Boot Manager
File Browser Del Boot Options
HDD1 Windows Boot Manager
What is my next step?
I'm sorry, I have to take it step by step.
aakk

Post by aakk »

Please inform me what you think the next step might be. Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”