Multi-Function KB and Mouse

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barddzen

Multi-Function KB and Mouse

Post by barddzen »

Hello,

I have Multiple home computers (Linux, MacOS) and a work computer (Windows 10) that I currently have multiple KB and mice and it's becoming a mess to keep moving things around on my desk.

From a compatibility perspective, nearly all of the ones I've looked at don't even cite Linux as an option. USB and Bluetooth are pretty universal but before I pull the trigger on a KB and mouse, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, concerns, recommendations?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Multi-Function KB and Mouse

Post by lsemmens »

None of ,my Keyboards/Mice mention Linux, but they all work, To reduce clutter what about a simple KVM switch. Then all you would need is one keyboard, mouse and monitor for all your devices.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

When I wanted to change to a wireless keyboard and mouse a few months ago I took a chance on a Logitech, (not sure but I think it was K440), despite being told by Logitech they would not guarantee operation with Linux. In practice I just plugged the Unifying USB receiver into the computer and it worked with both Windows 7 and Mint 18. Opinions on forums suggest that is true for all Logitech gear.
Cliff Coggin
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When it comes to mice and keyboards, I'm a fan of microsoft. Mouse is a wireless 3500 and keyboard a wireless ergonomic one 5KV-00002, not cheap but worth it.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
barddzen

Post by barddzen »

I don’t think either of those two are multi-device, but thanks for the info.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

I like the KVM option mentioned above. I used one many years ago. It had an A/B switch so the mouse & kb could easily be switch from system A to B.

I have had excellent experience with Logitech. I have wireless that uses one dongle for both mouse (5 buttons) & kB.

EDIT: The support from Logitech has been very good!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
psklenar

Post by psklenar »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 pm... To reduce clutter what about a simple KVM switch. Then all you would need is one keyboard, mouse and monitor for all your devices.
I use this KM switch https://www.iogear.com/product/GUS432/ (both PCs are also plugged into different inputs on the monitor and I use the switch input button on the monitor). This has worked for a couple of years just fine between two windows PCs (office laptop and personal desktop). Since I've started using Linux on the desktop I'm having an issue where the mouse is unresponsive (altho it has power since it's lit up) & I have to switch the KM switch back & forth between the outputs multiple times (sometimes as few as once, other times as many as a dozen tries) before Linux recognizes the mouse.

Does anyone have any ideas?
pat-----

Return to “Hardware Support”