13 Most Promising New Linux Distributions to Look Forward in 2019

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo-tech

Post by leo-tech »

https://www.tecmint.com/new-linux-distributions-2019
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: 13 Most Promising New Linux Distributions to Look Forward in 2019

Post by Pjotr »

Nice, but not for me.... My distro-hopping days are over. :mrgreen:

After all, Linux distro's share more than they differ. Their upstream components are usually rather the same: Linux kernel, systemd, Grub, desktop environments, Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice, Thunderbird...

They mostly only differ in the "glue" that holds those upstream components together, their particular mix of upstream stuff, their package management, tweaks and artwork.

For me what counts are these things: reliability, stability, fixed release (no rolling rollercoaster release, thank you very much), long term support, good quality control, rich official repo's, ease of use (yup, I'm lazy). All these together, more or less inevitably lead me to Mint or one of the *buntu's.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

reliability, stability, fixed release (no rolling ado, thank you very much), long term support, rich official repo's, ease of use
Now what distro meets those criteria, ahhhh... it's the one I'm running, mint :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The last thing that tthe Linux world needs is more flaky new distros with very little user base and hence support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

"New" probably means someone in the basement finally found out how to assemble pieces together to make a distro,
added some personal touches in it and now wants to share it to the world and have his 15 minutes of fame.
You, as hundreds of other noobs, on the other hand, think it's a groundbreaking OS and just as excited to adopt it.
I had to wonder and ask myself, "What about the maintenance? Will he hire his neighbors?
Will he continue to have free time for it? How many years would it take to establish stability; how about security?
Would I have to wait for another decade?"
I'm through with all that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm Nice, but not for me.... My distro-hopping days are over. :mrgreen:
I've never bothered with it. I landed on Mint on my first try, it serves me well, I'm here to stay.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

in Today's issue of D.W. there is Mention of an New Addition EasyOS
and which is based on Puppy Linux & is also by the same Author, who just happens to live ~100km from this QTH.

it also seems to be based on Woof ,, which itself is based on Ubuntu DEBs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am
Pjotr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm Nice, but not for me.... My distro-hopping days are over. :mrgreen:
I've never bothered with it. I landed on Mint on my first try, it serves me well, I'm here to stay.
Some people are born lucky. :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am I landed on Mint on my first try, it serves me well, I'm here to stay.
And some use their search-fu to look up 'linux beginner friendly' and here we are :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am I landed on Mint on my first try, it serves me well, I'm here to stay.
And some use their search-fu to look up 'linux beginner friendly' and here we are :D
Both lucky and smart then. I bet you're good-looking as well. :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Moem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am And some use their search-fu to look up 'linux beginner friendly' and here we are :D
Best Linux Distributions for Beginners:
https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/
1. Ubuntu
2. Linux Mint Cinnamon
3. Zorin OS
4. Elementary OS
5. Linux Mint Mate
6. Manjaro Linux

so - in 2019 - LinuxMint get's Mentioned Twice

8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Have to say that my first distro was Xandros and if it was still around, I'd probably be using it. But, having been through all the major distros I'm with mint to stay.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Pierre wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:21 am
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am And some use their search-fu to look up 'linux beginner friendly' and here we are :D
Best Linux Distributions for Beginners:
https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/
1. Linux Mint Cinnamon
2. Linux Mint Cinnamon
3. Linux Mint Cinnamon
4 .Linux Mint Mate
5. Linux Mint Mate
6. Linux Mint Mate

so - in 2019 - LinuxMint gets Mentioned Every time! :D
fixed that for you :lol:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Can someone please explain why Mint is a beginner's distro???. Because is works? Sorry, but this moniker really bugs me. There is absolutely nothing I can't do on Mint that's blocked because it's for "beginners".

Been using Linux since RedHat 6.2 at the turn of the century, and Mint is far and away the most stable OS I've ever used.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's not designed, as such, for any beginner to use,,
but it does seem to get nominated, by others, as an beginner's release.
- - the Cinnamon Desktop Edition, was actually designed to look, some what familiar,
for those who have recently left the World of Windows, though.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I would go so far as to say that Mint is the ideal DIstro for beginners. But I would not say it is only for beginners. It is every bit as good as any of the more "complex" (for want of a better word) distros.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
bristleworm

Post by bristleworm »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:50 am I would go so far as to say that Mint is the ideal DIstro for beginners. But I would not say it is only for beginners. It is every bit as good as any of the more "complex" (for want of a better word) distros.
That's what I like about it. You can install and in most cases it will "just work", making it suitable for, let's say, my parents. But at the same time it does not limit me if I want to do more fancy stuff.
philotux

Post by philotux »

leo-tech wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:29 pm 13 Most Promising New Linux Distributions to Look Forward in 2019
https://www.tecmint.com/new-linux-distributions-2019
Thanks for the link!
It's really wonderful how multifarious and versatile the world of GNU/Linux is.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

bristleworm wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:56 am
lsemmens wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:50 am I would go so far as to say that Mint is the ideal DIstro for beginners. But I would not say it is only for beginners. It is every bit as good as any of the more "complex" (for want of a better word) distros.
That's what I like about it. You can install it and in most cases it will "just work", making it suitable for, let's say, my parents. But at the same time it does not limit me if I want to do more fancy stuff.
I supported MScrapware for years.... when I retired, I was tired of the mess of baby sitting my PC....

I looked at the various distros in Linux land, I discarded Unix as too messy with a 90° vertical learning curve.

among all the distros that I tried, and it was a bunch, Mint Cinnamon was the one that allowed me to immediately install Linux, and start using it without having to "learn a new command set"....

The GUI is familiar, albeit a bit different, but manageable.
The Terminal to me, looked like what I was been using in MScrapware, just different terminology.

This forum by far, is the best in Linux land, and that sold me.

I started with 17.3 Cinnamon and installed 18.3 when it was released. I have no interest in Beta software.... e.g., 19.1 is still 'Beta' IMO, and won't be considered for use until it reaches 19.3

Now with a solid year with this forum and the very knowledgeable gurus who help here, I have graduated to where I was able this past weekend to help a friend who was submerging with the weight of Win10. He is a trucker, he gets to use his computer on Saturday only.... his wife is an accountant, her PC must be flawless and not get in her face....

4 weeks ago, she was doing taxes for a client and almost ready to file them, when the PC went blue, said "do not shut down until updates have finished"

to say that she was pissed doesn't even get close to how she felt.

My friend has followed me verbally ever since I installed Mint Cinnamon and me glowing about how easy it is to use...... that ended up with me spending 2 days at their home, Friday and Saturday, and I downloaded all of their data to my USB HDD... then I just installed 18.3 Cinnamon and wiped the entire disk clean...

It was 100% Linux, they did not want Windows in their house anymore.

the wife is 100% computer illiterate, other than knowing how to use the keyboard and run her accounting software..... in about an hour, she was surfing the internet, downloading her bank accounts, and using LO to write up her letters to clients.

To me, that is total success for Mint Cinnamon, and why I believe it is the best Linux out there.... my friends are not geeks, and have no wish to learn anything. they just want to use Facebook and a couple of forums they are members of.

Both are Firefox lovers, and FF was identical in Cinnamon as it was on Windows.... so they never even slowed down.

to me, that is 100% success, and a huge testament to the Mint Cinnamon team that developed it.

With all of that ease, it still allows me to geek around, and try new things, and yes, crash my laptop from time to time.... but the recovery tools are amazing, and life goes on without a whimper.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Condres OS is a modern Arch-based high-performance Linux distribution aimed at today’s cloud computing enthusiasts. It was built to have a beautiful and intuitive UI which makes it easy to use and all of its functions to be easily accessible.
sure it was built to be beautiful, it's got the default gnome overview menu, still using the full screen HUGE icons small fonts for the Activities setup.
Drauger OS is a beautiful, secure, performance-focused gaming desktop Operating System and it prides itself with being more secure than Windows
do you think the rest of the linux distros are not secure? what does a gamer even know about security or care enough to install a real secure distro like Linux Kodachi
Modicia OS is an Ubuntu LTS and Debian-based Linux OS developed by MODICIA Development Company for their public bodies and professional clients. It boasts of 10% swappiness, program speed increase by 25%, and 20% RAM efficiency thanks to its active Turbo Boost processors.
this can be done 10 years ago with no sweat. and RAM efficiency ? i see arch elitists proud having 32GB or more RAM and desktops that boot using 200MB or less memory. i don't see the point

i see nothing special in the list. out of all those i'd pick ArcoLinux but it's not really a distro so much as a one man's hobby like makulu or archman but archman is very young and still many theme issues
Last edited by trytip on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”