Has my hdd malfunctioned???

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Has my hdd malfunctioned???

Post by aditya02 »

Hello everyone,
I have a 500gb hard drive which is corrupted and malfunctioned. It has windows 10 installed but it boot and show an error and then restarts again. So, the only way to boot into my pc is via live session of linux mint 19.1 xfce.
My questions : 1. Is there any way to find out whether my whole hdd is malfunctioned or only some partitions are malfunctioned.
2. If yes then how?
3. If found that only some partitions are malfunctioned and not the whole hdd, then is there any way to use rest of hdd and install mint on it?
(I can only do this into linux mint 19.1 xfce live session.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Has my hdd malfunctioned???

Post by hattpa »

I would first use a live session of Mint to back up any data from the drive.

What is the error, as it may be that it's the windows boot that's faulty and 'may' be repairable
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is my hdd malfunctioned???

Post by aditya02 »

No, there is no sensitive data in it.
I am sure that hdd is malfunctioned.no doubt.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I've been wasting a lot of time lately with a half-broken hard drive.
The corresponding programs don't (yet) declare the disk as broken, although it is demonstrably unusable.
The new SSD wasn't expensive - and it's fast too...
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

If there's no data, and you're sure the hdd is bust (I wouldn't be though) then stop wasting time on it and replace, as absque fenestris said new sdd are not expensive
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

hattpa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:36 am If there's no data, and you're sure the hdd is bust (I wouldn't be though) then stop wasting time on it and replace, as absque fenestris said new sdd are not expensive
I am sure that my hdd is bust but wasn't sure whethere it is with whole hdd or just one partition.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

Try installing Mint onto the whole drive, you'll know fairly quickly, unles you have a burning need for Windows :twisted:
Mark Twain
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Yes, i can do this. I don't want windows anymore.
But i want to know is there any solution to actual question that is how to know if whole hdd is corrupted or only one partition?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The hard disk manufacturer Seagate do a number of free tools to test hard disks - for the 2 below they do not need to be a Seagate manufactured model.

SeaTools for Windows - which, as the name suggests runs under Windows. I had limited success with the program, largely because it is trying to examine the disk through Windows while Windows is running on it. It will fix some issues, but not do what you want I think, which is to examine the complete disk for sector errors.

SeaTools Bootable. This is a new one on me & I have not tried it, but it certainly sounds like it is the one you should download, burn onto a CD/DVD/USB & try.

Previously I had used their SeaTools for DOS (which I believe the Bootable is the successor of). It took its' time but seemed to do the job...although once disks start to deteriorate I think it is then a one way process!!

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/d ... /seatools/
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

BTW, have you tried booting windows in safe mode?

If you can, open a terminal as administrator (search for terminal, then right click run as) then run sfc /scannow
Mark Twain
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

hattpa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:52 am Try installing Mint onto the whole drive
Don't try this at home if there's important data on the drive.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aditya02 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:09 am Yes, i can do this. I don't want windows anymore.
But i want to know is there any solution to actual question that is how to know if whole hdd is corrupted or only one partition?
smartmon-tools in linux willv tell you if the drive is dead, and testdisk might also prove useful.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

catweazel wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:08 am
hattpa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:52 am Try installing Mint onto the whole drive
Don't try this at home if there's important data on the drive.
Nah, he's already claimed there's no data, so wouldn't be an issue..
Mark Twain
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

hattpa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 am Nah, he's already claimed there's no data, so wouldn't be an issue..
"No sensitive data".
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

catweazel wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 am
hattpa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 am Nah, he's already claimed there's no data, so wouldn't be an issue..
"No sensitive data".
Then he needs to do what I first suggested, fire up a live session and back it up :D

Sorry buddy, missed that one important word my bad
Mark Twain
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

hattpa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:31 am Sorry buddy, missed that one important word my bad
It's ok. My comment was aimed at inexperienced people who might stumble on the post and try it.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Thank you everyone for replying.
Now let me clear some points here:
1. The hdd don't contain any sensitive data. I always keep all my data backuped in my pen drive.
2. My hdd got malfunctioned because of improper earthing in my house and it is not a window os related problem.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

aditya02 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:09 am Yes, i can do this. I don't want windows anymore.
smartmon-tools in linux willv tell you if the drive is dead, and testdisk might also prove useful.
Is it possible to install these programs in live session?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aditya02 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:19 am
Yes. They just won't be there when you next boot unless you create a persistent live USB.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

catweazel wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 am
aditya02 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:19 am

Yes. They just won't be there when you next boot unless you create a persistent live USB.
So can you instruct me how to do this? Or any guide on this?

Return to “Other topics”