Oh my garsh!!! my SSD is going to fail tomorrow !!!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Oh my garsh!!! my SSD is going to fail tomorrow !!!

Post by AZgl1800 »

the title is a pun to attract attention to a subject that a lot of Newbies and others alike seem to be worried about having their SSD die a rapid death.

Well, that is not likely to happen with the number of keystrokes and file saves that I, or anyone else, will ever be able to make their PC/laptop suffer....

Give this article a read, it will put your mind to rest, as none of the SSDs tested since 2013 failed before their warranty period, and all of them went far beyond what the manufacturers hinted at them being able to do.
it covers almost 2 years of intensive 24/7/365 testing with non-compressible data.

the drive that survived the longest survived more than 2.4 petabytes worth of sustained writes. That’s probably about 240x as much writing as a typical consumer SSD would need to endure over its lifetime.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03 ... han-rated/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Oh my garsh!!! my SSD is going to fail tomorrow !!!

Post by BenTrabetere »

Yeah, well it's my experience this sort of smugness is almost always followed by a perfectly good florbish to start grommicking. I suggest you back up your files now, because your SSD is going to fail tomorrow. S'what happens when you tempt fate. You have been warned. TIWTGGG
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm the title is a pun to attract attention to a subject that a lot of Newbies and others alike seem to be worried about having their SSD die a rapid death.
Sorry, I'm missing the pun... I know it's no fun but would you mind pointing it out?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Moem wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm the title is a pun to attract attention to a subject that a lot of Newbies and others alike seem to be worried about having their SSD die a rapid death.
Sorry, I'm missing the pun... I know it's no fun but would you mind pointing it out?
just the simple fact, that SSDs will not be failing tomorrow....
I expect the one I have to last many years....
the warranty is 5 years, and the gruelling test stated above, proves that they can take a lot of punishment.

I simply am not worried about a failure.... I have backups for my data, and I don't care about the OS.... I have backups to restore that also.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Moem wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 amSorry, I'm missing the pun... I know it's no fun but would you mind pointing it out?
I'm having trouble finding a pun also... I get the joke, and I bet Moem does too. We just don't see the pun.
pun
NOUN
a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.

VERB
make a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word.
redlined

Post by redlined »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm Give this article a read, it will put your mind to rest, as none of the SSDs tested since 2013 failed before their warranty period, and all of them went far beyond what the manufacturers hinted at them being able to do.
it covers almost 2 years of intensive 24/7/365 testing with non-compressible data.

the drive that survived the longest survived more than 2.4 petabytes worth of sustained writes. That’s probably about 240x as much writing as a typical consumer SSD would need to endure over its lifetime.
I admit a recent "scare" when considering moving /tmp to tempfs to save SSD writes, while sniffing around and learning new commands I learned my 60 day old SSD had accumulated 8TB worth of writes :shock:
but even that, when taken in proper perspective, can be much less concerning:
8TB of writes since Nov 20 is surreal imho and may very well account for the high(ish) SSD and CPU temps inxi reports :evil:
anyway, thanks for mentioning it. While this SSD has "up to 8x 150TBW" (i.e. up to 1200TB) and 1.5million hours reliability (170 or so years :lol: guarantees I'm thinking I'll get 5 years out of it, regardless :roll:
wait... 8TB/60 days=.133TB=133GB daily, 1200TB = 1200000GB, 1200000/133=9022days, or 24years +/-)
ok, not sweatin it too much (unless my maths are seriously flawed :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=286307&p=1584243#p1584338

edit to add: source for your article linked is also a good read!
https://techreport.com/review/24841/int ... experiment
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

AZgl1500 wrote:
the title is a pun to attract attention to a subject that a lot of Newbies and others alike seem to be worried about having their SSD die a rapid death.
SSDs have been around for so long now, I'm surprised there are still people who think like this.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:09 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
SSDs have been around for so long now, I'm surprised there are still people who think like this.
That was the whole point of posting this in the first place.

I keep seeing new threads come up where the poster is concerned that the SSD is going to succumb to a rapid death if they allow too many writes to it in the next 8 hours. ( a joke, okay? )

Personally, all naysayers to the side, I have no worries about the SSD in my PCs leaving anytime soon.... it will most likely last as long as I have any need for a computer.
NevyNeverKnowsBest

Post by NevyNeverKnowsBest »

I'm going to el oh el if your SSD dies any time soon. I'll break a rib in hysterical laughter if I read a post from you later about a dead SSD.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Had mine for about 4 years now and it's still going strong.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Schultz wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:01 pm Had mine for about 4 years now and it's still going strong.
Do they grow less strong when they are failing or do they just go Kaput? :)
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I heard when they start to go bad, you can read the information from off of them, but you can't write new info on them. Unfortunately I can't remember where I've read that.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

NevyNeverKnowsBest wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:41 am I'm going to el oh el if your SSD dies any time soon. I'll break a rib in hysterical laughter if I read a post from you later about a dead SSD.
have fun, going to be a long wait.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Good eye catcher of a title, AZgl1500.

I know it was meant in humor, but it is not a pun. :wink:

But...your SSD will fail tomorrow, you just don't know on what the day that the "tomorrow" will be. I have an SSD and I hope it will last several years, but backup every month to another disk because any day will be "tomorrow's" yesterday.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Just because I have a lot of faith in the SSD, does not mean that I ignore the rule of "backup backup backup"

My Win7 Desktop has been running 24/7/365 for over ten years.
Never had a single failure relating to a hard drive. the OEM 6TB is still spinning.

But, it also has a 2nd 6TB USB that is online full time, and "AlwaySync" monitors the main HDD and copies any new, or changed files to the extUSB. I never worry about it either, just look at it once in a while to find something really really old.... that I need 'today'... that happened 3 or 4 week ago...

I have yet to suffer a failure in a SSD device, but if it ever occurs, it will just be a bump in the road.... nothing lost.

as for a pun, I am an OkieTexMex, so ya have to give me some latitude :lol:
you have to admit, I got the attention of a lot of folks.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

• Moem: AZgl1500!

AZgl1500: You still remember, Moem. I cannot help but be touched. I, of course, remember you.

Moem: What is the meaning of this so-called "pun"? Where is the testing staff of Ars Technica?

AZgl1500: Surely I have made the meaning plain. I mean to mal-appropriate the word upon you, Moem. I've deprived your reading of understanding, and when I swing around, I mean to deprive you of your comprehension of English vocabulary! But I wanted you to know first who it was who had confused you.

Moem: AZgl1500, if it's me you want, I'll have myself SSH'd aboard. Spare my fellow Linux Minters.

AZgl1500: I make you a counter-proposal: I'll agree to your terms if... if... in addition to yourself, you hand over to me all data and materials regarding the project called... Cinnamon Qt.

Moem: "Cinnamon Qt"? What's that?

AZgl1500: Don't insult my intelligence, Moem.

Moem: Give me some time to recall the data on our computers.

AZgl1500: I give you... 60 seconds, Moem.

Moem: *looks around* Clear the thread.

Portreve: At least we know he doesn't have Cinnamon Qt.

Moem: Keep nodding as though I'm still giving orders.

* beat *

Neil Edmond, punch up the data charts of AZgl1500's remote console.

Neil Edmond: AZgl1500's console?

Moem: Hurry.

AZgl1500: Forty-five seconds, Moem.

Portreve: The /etc/sudoers file?

Moem: It's all we've got.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well since it is going to fail, I guess I need to go buy five or six so I can continually replace them. After all SSDs are nowhere as good as spinning hard drives over long term use. Funny topic.

murph@Murphslaptop:~$ iostat
Linux 4.15.0-45-generic (Murphslaptop) 02/23/2019 _x86_64_ (4 CPU)

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
11.86 0.23 3.75 0.33 0.00 83.83

Device tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
nvme0n1 128.73 1572.38 1388.30 1031720 910933

murph@Murphslaptop:~$

I am not sure what this data means.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ha. That made me laugh.

Getting the attention of a lot of people is simple... just stand next to a busy road and pull your pants down. I can't guarantee you won't be arrested, but that's attention too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
redlined

Post by redlined »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm I am not sure what this data means.
iostat gives report of use since last reboot. iostat -h makes it "human readable" changing some of them kbr/w stats to MB/GB where appropriate. iostat -dh will give readable report for just devices/disks. You can also add options for continuous reporting or give number of reports with time interval between captures.

For another perspective on total writes, the factor that has most impact on SSD lifespan. (although I just learned it resets when drive is reformatted and/or repartitioned)...
run this command, change to each ext2/3/4 formattted partition you have, eg for me it's sda2, sda3, sdb1, sdb2 to get a read for each. sadly running with just sda/sdb/etc does not give a good report for entire device overall- I do not know how to get that beyond run iostat before each reboot and record for a cumulative effect :?:
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda2

I had 8TB written in 60 days for my separate /home partition after first install SSD (eg. 133GB a day :shock: and now with just / (root and no separate /home - but separate mounted partition for all personal files and and separate drive for all backups) drive reports 1.6TB (root&home) and 1.4GB (personal files/data) written since new install on 29 January. I think the biggest improvement I made was to force /tmp into tmpfs to keep it all in memory instead of writing anything /tmp to SSD (also good for browser cache, which can really hammer a drive with stupid level of writes)

I suppose there is some tool SSD manufacturer may have developed to know better total writes, drive life remaining sort of deal, most likely in drive firmware and SMART related. I stopped looking with such great concern once I mathed out even 133GB written daily, by my SSD "guarantees", I have 24 years of life left on this drive- I'll settle for little under half of that (say 10 years;) as being well worth $120usd for an Evo 860 1TB SSD (Thanksgiving week sales)

Return to “Open Chat”