Installing Linux Mint Gloria to an External Drive.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZekeMenuar

Installing Linux Mint Gloria to an External Drive.

Post by ZekeMenuar »

I'm running Gloria in Virtual Box with Windows 7 RC as the host. I'm very impressed with Gloria and decided to install it on a USB external HD and run it from my laptop.

I've been trying to get this right for a few days now. The installation never ends up the way I want.

I remove the internal HD. Install Gloria to the external HD. At that point everything is fine. Install updates, Firefox etc.

When the internal drive is installed, Gloria stalls and gives an error message, error 22?.

What is the preferred method to install Gloria to an external USB HD when an internal HD is involved?

I searched your site and didn't find an exact answer to my question.
Also, I know nothing about using command prompts and the Linux code in Terminal.

Thanks

ZM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ZekeMenuar

Re: Installing Linux Mint Gloria to an External Drive. SOLVED..

Post by ZekeMenuar »

The VM install is on the internal drive and is separate from what I want to do with the external HD.

The external HD doesn't have an OS installed on it. It has a 100gb partiton for data and 10gb reserved for Linux.

I have no plans to install Linux on the internal drive. I remove the internal drive prior to trying to install Gloria on the external HD

UPDATE............................................................

I installed PCLinux OS 09 on the external drive. It works fine with and doesn't have the loading issues Gloria had.

I'm repartitioning my main internal drive. I'll be installing Gloria and Windows 7 RC in their own partitions and using that setup on my laptop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”