[SOLVED] User unlock on terminal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kibiras

[SOLVED] User unlock on terminal

Post by Kibiras »

Hello,

Is that possible to make this: when LinuxMint start, there is a screen where you need to write password of your user. Is there any way to see terminal after LinuxMint start and enter password in there? And then it will unlock user and show desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: User unlock on terminal

Post by ajgringo619 »

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Kibiras

Post by Kibiras »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 pm What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Unlock PC with Terminal, but not with interface.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What's the end goal here?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

IGNORE ALL THAT - adding "single" to boot line just gives a weird result now.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Kibiras

Post by Kibiras »

Moem wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:33 am What's the end goal here?
As I told before: Unlock PC with Terminal, but not with interface.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

And to what purpose do you want to unlock using the terminal?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kibiras

Post by Kibiras »

Moem wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 am And to what purpose do you want to unlock using the terminal?
Sorry, but is this question related to my question in any way? I'm just asking for a help :).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, keep it to yourself then, if it's a secret. People might be more inclined to help, or more able to, if they knew your end goal.

aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Kibiras wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am
ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 pm What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Unlock PC with Terminal, but not with interface.
What's the difference? In both ways you just type the password and press enter to unlock your pc :roll:
Kibiras

Post by Kibiras »

I understand it. But if no-one can help me - that's okay, but asking about "why you need this" in every replay won't help me also :).
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Kibiras wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 am I understand it. But if no-one can help me - that's okay, but asking about "why you need this" in every replay won't help me also :).
Sorry kibiras if you don't like it. Yes i don't know how to accomplish it but was curious to know why you want to do this. 0nce again, I apologize. :!:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Kibiras wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 am I understand it. But if no-one can help me - that's okay, but asking about "why you need this" in every replay won't help me also :).
The people asking why you want to do it do not understand what you are asking for so, to them, the quickest way to find out is to ask why. Personally, the why question is totally out of bounds; a completely unwarranted, and very nosy question. It's akin to asking someone when was the last time they kissed their partner.

It is possible to start linux in a terminal, log in via the terminal then start an X session, yes. I believe the command you want to issue after logging in to a terminal is startx, but don't quote me on that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

The traditional way is simply to gogin to terminal and have no GUI available. That is even the WAY DOS was working. There was no mouse available.

Ctrl + Alt + F{1-6] gives you always a fullscreen session. With Ctrl + Alt + F7 you comes back to the graphical shell. Unxexperiented users love the graphical shell and don like commanline.Mint is defined to be userfriendly for exwindows users. They need a graphical shell. The login procedure fires X up after login is completed.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:35 am The people asking why you want to do it do not understand what you are asking for so, to them, the quickest way to find out is to ask why. Personally, the why question is totally out of bounds; a completely unwarranted, and very nosy question. It's akin to asking someone when was the last time they kissed their partner.
Well, I have to admit, reading his request the first question coming to my mind is also "what are they trying to accomplish?". Because depending on knowing that my answer would be vastly different. For example, they might just want a different looking login screen, so I could suggest that. Or I could take them at face value and suggest to remove lightdm from /etc/init.d and to create a ~/.bash_login script to load the desktop as soon as they log in on a virtual terminal.

But why speculate when asking them what the problem they're trying to solve is is so much simpler?

So I don't think the question is unwarranted. I've had to save many newbies from themselves by ignoring the question they actually asked and finding out their real problem instead. Sure, I could tell someone how to remove / when they ask but I don't think I should.
Kibiras

Post by Kibiras »

Okay, guys, thanks for answers
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED] User unlock on terminal

Post by lsemmens »

I think the "why" question was in hopes of determining what you hope to achieve, in that way a more targetted answer can be given. It's fine saying I want to travel to London, but, without more information, the means to that end will be elusive. A person living in China will need a completely different answer to someone living in Leeds.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Beginner Questions”